7.7

2. replaced battery (8 reports)
2019 Honda CR-V electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Honda CR-V:

2019 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 212019

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

New car in March. From June thru August car failed to start if not driven for 1-2 days. First time it was towed in battery replaced and software update installed. 2nd time I drove it in after the battery was jumped. 3rd time, had it towed with battery still dead. This time, service consulted with Honda Corp and installed a newly developed software update. Service Advisor was 99.99% confident that issue was resolved. Have not tested the so-called fix by letting the car sit for a day or so.

Was going to get a Subaru Forester due to its reliability rating. Supply was short and far away. So went with the brand I have driven for decades.

- Patricia M., Miami, US

Dec 022019

CR-V

Second time in four months that the battery died and needed to be replaced.

- Aimee D., Round Rock, US

Aug 232019

CR-V

Battery died after 5 months after purchasing new. Replaced the battery.

- Aimee D., Round Rock, US

Nov 232019

CR-V Touring 1.5L

I have had the new 2019 CRV touring for almost 3 months, and have not had any problems until Saturday afternoon @ 4pm. I called the Honda dealer 4 times and finally got someone to talk. They said you have a dead battery, if you can get the car here by 5 pm will change battery. I live 1 hour away, so I asked if can you stay if I am a few minutes late, and they said no... As I read on this problem, I see it is a big problem for every CRV owner, or at least most who have reported this problem. I am ashamed to have this to fight with the dealership.

- honda 1, Granbury, US

Oct 182019

CR-V Touring

Had it into two different honda dealers on battery problem! First they replaced battery and fixed an theft alarm that wasn't shutting off. Next was another new battery and was told we did not drive it enough, was told to drive it a couple hundred miles a day. Been around cars too long to know better then that,Manager said he has to jump all new cars on lot to sell them as they sit and won't start. So went to another dealer in Chandle AZ he put in another battery, Had to jump it again two weeks ago. No reply from a phone call to company. My mom is part owner and is 92 years old.this is terrible that you can not depend on a car you bought brand new and paid cash, I belive the batteries are not strong enough for all electrical on the new cars. Hope something can be done as there are alot of us with these cars having the same problem..

- carlpamilaph, Mesa, US

Apr 292020

CR-V EX-L 1.5t

After 3 days of sitting, the battery was totally dead. I cannot get it to recharge after the jump start. Thus, still a dead battery.

- Mahlon K., Daleville, VA, US

Apr 092021

CR-V LX 1.5L

• CVT transmission

With the Covid year we were not driving this vehicle much. Wife needed to go see mom and sisters. Tried to start the vehicle, no good. Thought it was from lack of driving, so I removed the battery from the vehicle and removed plastic filler hole covers and found that 3 of the 6 cells had exposed plates, low electrolyte fluid. Fill to cover plates with distilled water and placed on battery charger, which showed 84% of full charge on original battery. Experience tells me that this battery is toast, but I leave it on the charger for 9 hrs and get it back up to 100% and 13.8 volts. Things are looking good. Overnight 9 hrs +/- battery again shows 86-84% charge.

Well, I bought a new 51R battery and installed it. It should be good to go, nope. The computer was not happy that the power had been off. The "systems" check would not go back to "reset" there was always a warning about pretty much you name it, low tire pressure, traction control, etc... That is when I started doing some research. I was not expecting that a Honda would have these kinds of "problems".

This is probably why we bought the car "used " with less than 400 miles on it . The car currently has 6818 miles on it and it might not make it to 7000. I am so disgusted that I might just trade it in at the Honda dealer and let them deal with it. We cannot, as so many others have said, put up with an unreliable vehicle. That is why you get a new one every so often. I personally drive a 26 yr old Toyota Tacoma, with hand cranked windows.

I will call the local Honda dealer and see if they have the "software" fix for the parasitic power drain. This is a deal breaker for me. Hopefully, they will be able to truly fix the problem and not just tell us to keep the tank on the upper side of 1/2 full, and turn the ignition off and on each time like others have reported.

- Jimmy L., Grand Junction, US

Oct 192020

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

I believe I have the longest complaint on this thread (a previous one). My saga continues. Needed to have the PA Car Inspection done as well as a couple of Recalls completed during February 2020. (I already had the TSB Software Update “Fix” for the dead battery issue in late spring of 2019.) This last appointment was only to take about 1.5 hours so I waited at the dealership. Three and a-half hours later I was called to the service desk because the car was finally done. I asked what took so long and it just happened that the battery died while it was being worked on for other reasons.

Finally, the problem was reproduced at the Dealership and for the first time, they said there was something wrong with the battery. This same battery was judged as being fine/problem free after all of my other numerous dead battery incidents. So, it has been about 8 months into the new battery replacement and we were hoping the dead battery issue might be fixed. But, yesterday morning, got in the car to go grocery shopping and guess what? We had our very first dead battery incident with our brand new, recently installed 8 mo. old battery... Grrrrrrrr...!!!

- phansee7, Meadville, US

Oct 202019

CR-V Touring 1.4L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Problem first occurred after 4 months of ownership. Tried to start car, battery was dead, towed to dealer, they replaced battery. Six months later same problem, towed to dealer, they did a "hard reset of ecm". Six months later, same problem, towed to dealer, they still have the car. This car has about 8500 miles on it.

- Don T., Rogers, US

Jan 122021

CR-V EX-L

Purchased 2019 “Honda Certified” CR-V EX-L with about 15,000 in August 2020. Since then I’ve had to have the battery jumped 4 times. First time I thought it was just a fluke—but now after searching and finding lots of complaints, I see I’m not alone. Have contacted the dealership for next steps to determine if the “software update” some have spoken of will help.

- nomorejeep, Ruston, LA, US

Jul 072019

CR-V Touring 1.5L Turbo Charge

• CVT transmission

I had the same problem on my 2015 Honda CRV battery had to be replaced 2 times. This is the 2nd time I have had the problem on the 2019. I think that this time I will will buy my own battery and pay for it myself as I know that Honda will install the same battery that will not solve my problem. Honda has known about this problem for at least 4 years but has chosen to correct the problem

- billywjonesbj, Fleming Island, US

May 252019

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

Brand new SUV and after 2700Km/1200milles failed to start apparently due to battery problems.

Had to wait for the whole weekend at home and couldn't visit my family for Mother´s day celebration because Honda Service was not working on weekends and after several jump starts i noticed if was dangerous to go on a highway in that condition........ So yeah.... a big thank you for the savings weekend Honda!!!

Next monday, Honda Service replaced the battery and everything went well until now.

I've seen some reports about there is a computer problem that actually drain your battery while not in use, very weird because it takes a huge load to get it drained that way(like leaving your headlights on overnight), but the interesting part is that the battery fails to charge appropriately after first occurrence. Its a shame to talk about this expensive vehicle and relate it to this problem.

And now.....recall for SRS Airbags unexpectedly Deployment - Pretty bad! Pretty Bad!...

So it is not safe to drive this SUV? Come on!..... A new car is not supposed to be so problematic for long time... Ohh Jesus!!! :-(

- Raphael C., Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Jan 012019

CR-V

Bought 2019 Honda CRV about 2 weeks ago. Go out to start the car and the battery is dead. Had to get it jumped. Next week the same thing. Motorworld looked at the car and the battery was bad,so they replaced the it. A few weeks later, it does it again. Had it towed and the battery was dead again. Motorworld said that Honda knows about the problem and told me that after I stop the car and shut it down, that I have to start the car up again and turn the car off again. Honda said it has something in the computer software, the software is still running. So I have been doing this for about 3 months and it seems to be working, but that is not solving the problem.

- Marianne W., Dallas, US

Jan 282019

CR-V Touring

• CVT transmission

Battery dies if it sits for more than two days. This has happened several times over the course of a couple of months. Did receive a new battery, but still happens.

- 9kjrrd, Cheyenne, US

Jan 212019

CR-V EX-L 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

$30,000+ for a new vehicle and the battery dies after the vehicle is not used for two days and with less than 800 miles on the odometer. Dealer replaced the battery. Now 4-5 weeks later and the same problem again!

- Ralph W., Hopkinton, MA, US

Feb 112019

CR-V

So far the worst new car we have ever owned, and we have had a few.

- Frank C., Prince George , BC, Canada

Mar 042019

CR-V EX

2019 Honda CR-V battery keeps dying when will Honda fix this

- Karen S., Merrimack, NH, US

Feb 212019

CR-V EX

My 2019 Honda CRV 's battery continues to go dead. Only had the car 2weeks. Purchased the car Feb 5th, 2019,problem started Feb 20 and then again on the 28th of Feb. Dealer said it is a software problem that when car sits overnight the car automatically does a diagnostic anddrainthe battery. No fix yet and dealer does not know when there will be a fix. Dealer said they are working on a software update. In the meantime dealer said I need to keep the gas tank full and drive he car 20 minutes everyday. REALLY!!!! Dealer want me to use a trickle charger everyday to keep battery charged. I contacted American Honda and received a case number. I paid 30,000 for this car and am afraid to dive it. I am still waiting for Honda to fix this problem.

Update from Mar 21, 2019: Just received a call from my car dealer they have a software update. Bringing my car in tomorrow the 22nd. for the computer update on my car. This is supposed to be the fix for the battery constantly going dead. I will keep you posted.

Update from Mar 28, 2019: Had software update on March 22. Not sure if it has worked yet. I am lettting it sit for at least 5 to six days to see if it starts . My concern is that other owners of the 2019 CRV had the software update and found that while driving on the highway their car lost

power. In am also on CarGuru site where there are multiple owners with the same

problem. I will keep you updated.

- Anna S., Chester, NY, United States

Feb 202019

CR-V EX 1.5L

Battery dies if car sits more than 2 days, American Honda has no results in resolving this problem, Told American Honda need the vehicle to go back and forth to the hospital, how do I resolve the problem, no solution,

- James S., Burlington Flats, US

Mar 052019

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

2-14-19. Purchased 2019 CRV with 10 miles on it.

2-20-19. The car wouldn’t start which caused me to miss an out of town Dr.’s appointment. Called AAA for 1st jumpstart. Called Honda Roadside Assistance for 2nd jumpstart. Drove car 15-20 miles in bad rainstorm to recharge battery.

2-24-19. The car wouldn’t start again. I called Honda Dealership and was referred to the Service Manager. He had me go through a couple of different attempts at starting the car by using the Fob in different ways. Nothing worked. He then sent someone out to try and start it. They were to leave a loaner car for us. This person tried many times to start the car but couldn’t. He left for a while then came back. He tried to start it again. It still wouldn’t start. He then left and we had no loaner car and a dead brand new car in the driveway.

2-26-19. I called and was told by the Service Manager that he thought I was going to make arrangements to get the car towed back to the dealership on 2-24-19 if they couldn’t start it. That’s why they didn’t call. They dropped off a loaner car for our use. So I had it towed on

2-26-19. The Service Manager called on 3-2-19 and said all was fine. They checked everything and couldn’t find anything wrong. We returned loaner and picked up our car.

3-5-19. It was dead again. Called Honda and spoke with someone in the service department. The Service Manager was unavailable. The original salesman came out and jump started the car again. He also left us a Loaner. By this time, I had done online research and discovered this has been a problem for a very long time with the Honda CR-V. In particular, the higher end ones, I believe.

3-9-19. We received a very long phone call from a Manager at the Dealership. They had a temporary solution which would involve us to basically run a test for them. I won’t go into the lengthy details of it. They are still looking for a possible parasitic leak on the battery. They have looked at every other possible parasitic leak and this is the last one they can think of at this point. According to them, there is nothing wrong with the battery itself. They suggested we take the car back on the 3-11-19 to try this. I said I would call back and let them know.

The main issue being that Thursday 3-14-19, I had an all night medical test scheduled out of town, that I needed to have reliable transportation for. At this point, they wanted us to take our new, unfixed, unreliable CR-V back and return the Loaner. That certainly left me in an uneasy, tenuous place regarding my out of town medical test that Thursday night. I left two messages and asked for a return call. Said I would take our car to the out of town appointment and hope that the “car test” occurred and that I didn’t get stranded. We received a call an hour before leaving for out of town. It was decided I would take the Loaner because it was too late to switch vehicles.

3-15-19. Honda made arrangements to bring our “new car” to our house and pick up the Loaner after I got home from my trip. We were also told not to bother with the the full tank of gas test now. Instead we are to turn the car off then immediately restart the car and turn it off again so the car will not turn itself on again for the scheduled Test it runs at certain times. So is this our fix? Our frustration level is rising very fast...

3-18-19. We have a grand total of 83 miles on the car and its been 32 days since we bought it. Most of those are from driving back and forth to the Honda Dealership. (FYI: Our 2007 Toyota RAV4 was only jumpstarted once in 12 years and we had one new battery put in, last year, 2018. We drove with the same battery for 11 years with only two problems even in subzero temperatures. It would sit for days without being driven.)

Note: Our Honda Dealership has been very accommodating and everyone has been nice and respectful towards us. But we no longer want this “new car” that has been a problem since we brought it home 2-15-19. It’s like a lemon jinx! I’ve stated a couple times that I don’t want it anymore. Too many cooks have been stirring the fresh, new pot of broth. Praying your car is going to start, every time you have an appointment or plans, is just not right... and extremely stressful.

And my research shows this has been a continuing problem with the Honda CR-V and that it hasn’t been resolved since 2015. People are still having the no-start problem and trading their cars off (losing $), putting up with it, carrying a jumpstarter or just leaving it at the dealership with the keys in it. What are they thinking? We want to deal with this correctly but also to our satisfaction! I guess time will tell but it is so not fun playing this “Is my car going to start?” game.

- phansee7, Meadville, US