ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

8.2

$2,400

1. new engine installed (19 reports)
  3. replace (12 reports)
  4. engine rebuild (10 reports)
  5. needs new engine block (8 reports)
  6. replaced the mount (1 reports)
2007 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Civic:

2007 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Sep 252017

Civic DE 4 cyl

I bought my car at a Hyundai Dealership for about $15,000 at the time of purchase there was only 42,000 miles on the car. I financed the car through Coasthills Credit Union. My car overheated. I put water in radiator which was bone dry. The next morning we looked under car to see that coolant was leaking from the engine.

I took it to a mechanic friend of mine. At first he thought maybe it was the water pump, we got the water pump and he was proceeding to replace and figured out it wasn't the water pump. He called to say it was a crack in the block and that Honda had a warranty. Although it was 6 days past the expiration of that warranty. Of course my thought process was Honda will cover it as they have openly admitted it is a manufacturer defect. I had it towed to my local Honda dealer where they confirmed it was in fact a cracked block. They also said it was the exact spot where the warranty would have covered. They then proceeded to tell me that its past warranty and they could not fix it, but would be more than happy to put me into a different car.

I still owed $4500.00 at the time this crack in the block happened. Well, I was absolutely not going to buy another car from Honda as I feel they are not even backing their obvious defective engine. I end up having to get another car and financing that car while still paying for a car that does not run. My Honda is just sitting in the driveway until I can save money to fix the engine, while still paying the payments. I opened a claim with Honda Headquarters and they also told me it was past the warranty and they would not fix.

I am extremely angry that there is a limit to this..........Nobody could possibly know that this would happen and when.......I was not even notified of the warranty to begin with.......I had my car at the Honda dealership for 2 other warranty issues and was never notified of the engine problem. Honda should honor any defect that happens with their product with no time limit.........I would never buy or suggest anybody to buy one of their products!!!!!

- Julie W., Lompoc, CA, US

Dec 252017

Civic EX Coupe

I have a 2007 Honda Civic EX coupe with only 99k miles and due to a manufacturing defect now has a cracked engine block. Honda has a service bulletin #10-048 which states the 2007 Civic and other years have manufacturing defect. My Civic started over heating on Dec.25th 2017 on the way out to my families house for Christmas. I had to pull to the side of the road due to the overheating and smoke we saw coming from the engine.

After looking under the hood I saw there was no coolant in the reservoir and I couldn't detect a coolant leak. The next day Dec.26th 2017 I replaced the thermostat on my Civic presuming that the thermostat was sticking and coolant was not circulating. That was obviously not the case because yet again the next day Dec.27th 2017 it overheated and I had to pull to the side of the road and noticed a severe coolant leak coming from the engine block.

When I got the car home I did some research and noticed a Honda service bulletin (above) and saw we were not the only ones having this issue. We called American Honda and they started a case for us and recommended that we take it to our local Honda to be inspected further. We made a appointment for the inspection and after Honda inspected it they diagnosed it with a cracked engine block. This is do to their faulty defected product. Honda should stand behind their product and fix the issue.

This car was meticulously maintained by my local Honda and has been in the family. We were never notified of this bulletin or else we would had brought our Civic in sooner before there supposed extra 10 year warranty expired. It shouldn't matter how many years Honda knows this is a ongoing issue and it will continue to happen if it doesn't get taken care of the right way. This could potentially be a dangerous situation and I believe Honda needs to step up.

- rtrean, Manteca, US

Aug 312017

Civic LX 1.8L

My car is a 2007 Honda Civic LX model. On August 31, 2017 while I was driving on the highway, the car stopped running and smoke came out of the hood suddenly. No warning lights came on the dashboard till the last moment. Fortunately I managed to pull over the car to a safe place immediately beside the highway otherwise I would have been in a fatal situation. I had the car towed to a Honda dealer at Pittsburgh where they performed the diagnosis to find the root cause of the problem. They identified that there was CRACK in the Engine Block which has caused the coolant to leak from the engine and hence overheating of the engine has happened and made it to malfunction. They told me that the whole Engine has to be replaced (used one) and few other parts as well (like spark plug etc.) to make the car running again which would cost me around $4000. It was devastating to hear this.

I did some research over the Internet regarding this issue and found that most of the 2006 to 2009 Civics had this engine crack issue and Honda is also aware of this. Despite this Honda has not called for the recall of such those engines and just did a warranty extension. TSB 10-048 was issued for this. But still a lot of 2006-2009 Honda Civics are facing this issue even at very low miles like mine. Mine has just 51400 miles. Still Honda does not want to do anything about this. I even had couple of Oil changes done at Honda dealerships and they did not even give a hint about this problem.

I checked with the Service consultant if this would be covered under the extended warranty. He did a VIN inquiry and said the Warrant has expired 10 days ago and this won’t be covered. (The original purchase date of the car was 22-Aug- 2007 and this incident happened to me on 31-Aug-2017). This is a again big blow to me. I raised this concern with Honda Corporate and they filed a case. Couple of days later (on 09/07/2017) the case manager (Ina) called me just to tell that Honda would not do anything about this issue with futile reasons like 1) the warranty has expired 10 days ago 2) Because I am the second owner and purchased this car only two years back 3) I did not purchase the car from a Honda dealership and purchase from a private party 4) My Loyalty to Honda was not sufficient ( that I had spent only $80 towards oil change service in a Honda dealership in my two years of owning the car). These reasons are just senseless to me and not even related to this cracked engine issue. She did not provide proper justification and just closed the case like that.

This is my first car in the US. I bought this car as the second owner in July 2015 with only 36000 miles on it and I have hardly driven 15000 miles over the past two years without any issues. The previous owner also never had any issues with it and that’s why I purchased it with confidence. I was neither aware of any letters sent to the Civic owners nor any letter was sent to me regarding this issue and the warranty extension.

CONSIDERING CUSTOMER'S SAFETY, THESE ENGINES NEEDS TO BE RECALLED BY HONDA AND REPLACED WITH NEW ONES OR AT LEAST THE WARRANTY OF THESE ENGINES NEEDS TO BE EXTENDED FURTHER (FOR AT LEAST FOR 5 MORE YEARS). I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO SURVIVE A FATAL ACCIDENT ON THE HIGHWAY.

- THIRUMURUGAN V., OAKDALE, PA, United States

Aug 022017

Civic LX 1.8L

So where do I begin....the day after I received my title for the car, after paying it completely off in a year, my car began to run slightly hot (like barely over two bars over the middle gauge). So I immediately stopped and noticed antifreeze dripping. I then put more antifreeze in and took it across the street to a regular auto shop. They notified me the next day I had a cracked engine block and the entire engine needed to be replaced.

I was devastated considering my previous car was also a Honda and needed the engine to be replaced as well. I researched a little and found out there was an extended 10 year warranty for this exact problem, called my local Honda dealership and they said "yes, the problem will be 100% covered by the warranty". As I went to arrange the car to be towed there, they called back and told me "actually the warranty expired two months ago...sorry". So I called corporate, got a case manager and a case number etc. and she said I needed to get the car towed there and have a diagnostic, because although I was out of the warranty by two months, I had a very good chance of getting a percentage of the repair covered. So I got it towed there for a diagnostic.

A week passed and I heard NOTHING from anyone, not corporate not the shop, anyone. I called the dealership and all they could tell me was "it's getting worked on, all we know is that the short block is cracked". Well thanks guys, I knew that a week ago. I called my case manager for updates throughout the week only to get her voicemail and no call back every time. And finally, after 8 days the dealership called me and told me "sorry, you got denied for the Goodwill and Honda is offering zero help towards the repair of your engine because you are out of the warranty period by two months." And not to mention, the month the warranty expired, I was getting the car serviced at the dealership for a state inspection and an airbag recall. So now I am stuck with two Hondas that need an engine replaced.

So heads up to anyone interested in buying a Honda, save yourself the massive inconvenience/expensive bill and don't.

- Kristin S., Chester, US

Mar 142016

Civic EX 2.0L

The engine block on my 2007 Honda Civic was under recall unknown to me. In mid-March 2016 was driving to LA through the desert with my family to deliver the eulogy at my uncle's funeral a few hours later when the engine blew up leaving us stranded in the middle of the desert. Fortunately I had a cell signal and was able to have the car towed to the nearest shop where I had them take a look at it while I found a rental car to drive to the funeral.

After the funeral I was informed that the engine blew up and would need to be replaced. They failed to tell me that the engine was under recall. I was prepared to spend $5000 for a replacement. The tow and diagnosis cost me $170. Since the repair shop was 150 miles from my home, I decided it would be prudent to have the car towed home and worked on there. That ended up costing me another $300. Fortunately, my home mechanic found out that the engine had a factory defect, called the Honda dealership and made arrangements for the car to be towed and the engine replaced. Meanwhile, I need a car, so I rented an economy car from Enterprise. By the time my car was ready to be picked up the rental car cost was $661 so my total out of pocket costs for this event $1131.

I submitted a claim for reimbursement to Honda Customer Service in early April 2016 with all receipts. They told me that they would review and get back to me shortly.

I never heard back from them so called and left a message..no response. This went on for over a year. Whenver we spoke with someone they said they didn't have the paperwork, but would check and get back to us. No one got back to us until mid-April 2017 when they said they would not honor our claim of our out of pocket expenses of $1131, but would only pay the initial towing charge of $170.

I have been a loyal Honda customer most of my life and because of this abuse, I will NEVER purchase another Honda again.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT IF YOU'RE LOOKING AT A HONDA...LOOK ELSEWHERE...THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!

- bergerhl, Las Vegas, US

Jul 162016

Civic 1.8L

Dripping engine oil all over the place. Leaks are caused in the stupid design using an aluminum oil pan which will definitely crack at some point of time.

- ichibawa, Singapore, Singapore

Oct 172016

Civic EX-NAV 1.8L

Leaking coolant from the engine block in the front area. I was told they would not fix the engine if the crack was in the front.I was informed the only way they would fix my engine is if the cracking was in the rear of the engine block. If anyone looks at the extended warranty - it has pictures of the cracking engine block in both areas front and rear parts of the engine. Honda continued to give me the run around until my warranty ran out. Now Honda says they won't fix the engine at all.

- Ron H., Orlando, US

Jul 152015

Civic EX Coupe 1.8L I4

I bougth this car in february of 2015, and since then has been problem after problem: -Cracked engine block: $400 (cost) -Side engine mounts: $100 -Sun visors: $80 -Door Lock actuator: $100 -Rear upper control arms: $120 -Rear wheel bearings: $100 -Paint is pealing and cracking: I havent fixed it. -And most recently the belt tensioner. It is attached to the aluminium block with only one tiny bolt. When you try to replace the belt tensioner or water pump you will see the big problem, the bolt is going to stuck inside the block, and is going to be a huge problem to get it fixed. I was warned by my mechanic that those Civics built between 2006 and 2011 are plenty of manufacturating problems. I just think, Will be the main problem that they built this models in Canada instead of Japan like the old reliable models? My advice: Avoid these cars.

- Joe L., Calexico, CA, USA

Jun 272014

Civic ES

My engine block cracked about 2014. Had to have a new engine installed.

- K M., San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 232016

Civic LX 1.8L

We have a 2007 Honda Civic with 58,000 miles and recently on December 23rd 2016 our daughter was driving to a friends house and noticed smoke coming from the engine and came home. After looking for the leak it was determined to be coming from the front of the block. After searching the internet we found that this is a common occurence and there is a warranty extension. So we had the car towed to our local Honda dealership where we purchased the vehicle and it was confirmed with the a pressure test that the block was cracked.

After contacting Corporate Honda they stated they would pay 70% and we would be responsible for 30% due to the fact that the vehicle was purchased in 09/2006 and is three month past the 10 year extended warranty. I don't feel that we should be responsible for 30% when clearly they have huge problem and are trying to keep this issue quiet. Has anyone had this issue ? Please contact me at Matthew.Stroub@gmail.com

- Matthew S., Bakersfield, CA, USA

Aug 292016

Civic

Does anyone own Honda Civic 2006-2009. Are you having over heating issues, leaking coolant or, engine problems??? Has your stranded you or, caused accident as result of stopping while driving. Speak up then file complaint on biggest billion dollar 10 year extended warranty for American Honda. This should be safety recall. Your complaints can get to recall for no expiration. Clearly Honda doesn't want to take accountability for selling cars with cracked engine blocks ! If your car is totaled but with no damage to engine area they are leaving you out to repair their mistakes. Speak up because the National Highway Safety Administration needs to know what danger this defect is one. Lawsuits can result if seriously injured. Please speak up for me, for you and for all the people affected.

- sol1212, San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Civic LX 1,8

No Gripe, only satisfaction with this website. After trying to find the source of the coolant leak, I made an exhaustive search for possible causes. When this site came up I read all the comments. I thought it was a long shot but made an appointment with Honda Service. 160,000 miles on this Civic LX. Guess what....cracked block, fully covered, no hassle. We gave this car to our son and thought we were in for it honda came through for me!!

- Wallace G., Buffalo, NY, USA

Jun 202016

Civic

My 2007 Honda Civic (2 door, 104k miles) overheated June 20th, I pulled over and called AAA. Was going to take it to a Honda dealership (didn't know of a trusted mechanic in my city yet), when AAA suggested a nearby mechanic who has warranties and discounts for AAA members. Ok sure.

Go in, they see the cylinder head is warped and needs resurfacing, about $2000. Say okay, fix it, then I remember the TSB 10-048 I got in the mail years before. Too late to take it to a Honda dealership; mechanic was already sending the cylinder head out. Well, did my research on the TSB, mechanic found a crack in the engine block, and had it all documented and ready to send in to Honda as a case for reimbursement.

I did read up how this INCLUDES the cylinder head replacement/fixing and even asked the guy at the American Honda Center when I first called to open the case if it'd include this. He said yes, it'd include any damage to the engine.

Sent in my case July 6, got a call this morning July 30 with them saying they won't cover the cylinder head. I'm appalled. The damage occurred FROM the engine block cracking, it's PART of the TSB! How can they claim that's not their responsibility when it would've been fine if they didn't use shoddy metal in the first place?

Oh and the other thing that cracks me up. Is it a new design of the engine block, one that won't crack? NOPE! I'll just have this problem again one day.

Thanks a lot, Miser Honda.

- arielm, Burbank, CA, USA

Jan 252016

Civic LX 1.8L

click to see larger images

cracked engine block cracked engine block cracked engine block cracked engine block cracked engine block

2 weeks ago I figured out that something is leaking from my car (Honda 2007) and when I went to a mechanical service I was told that there's a crack in my engine block. The mechanic called one of the Honda dealers and when he explained the issue, we were told that there is an extended warranty on this model Honda. After we gave him my car's info and the issue that my car's title is salvage, he told us that they can fix it for free. He arranged an appointment to fix my car, and when I drove my car there everything was ok, but after 2, 3 hours they called me and told me that since my title is salvage they cannot do it with warranty and I have to pay $5,400 if I want to fix it. So, I said no I don't want to pay, and when I got my car back from the dealership, my car even doesn't start now, and I don't know what happened to the car.

The interesting thing is that I bought this car in 2012, and I haven't had any accident with this car so far (the previous owner probably had an accident) and I don't know when in 2016 my car stops due to cracked engine block, they bring this excuse that your title is salvage. Any suggestions?

- Hossein M., Irvine, CA, USA

Feb 082016

Civic LX 1.8

I was driving the car and all of sudden coolant started to leak in huge amounts. Within few hours all the coolant fluid leaked out and car started to overheat. I took it to Honda Dealer next day, they took the car in and realized it was the engine block cracked and I also had the original letter received from Honda about extended warranty about the engine block crack.

Prior warranty was eight years on the letter, but I realized Honda Canada extended the warranty for 10 years (thank God). Honda dealer offered me a rental car temp and they replaced the entire engine block, along with new pistons.

- Garry G., Brampton, ON, Canada

Feb 032016

Civic EX 1.8L I4

First learned of the problem two weeks ago (Feb 2016), as fate would have it, the following week I noticed coolant leaking on my garage floor and an EMPTY coolant recovery tank. IMMEDIATELY drove to local Honda dealer for a covered fix and loaner vehicle that fixed it in less than two days. I bought this Civic from CarMax in 2011 and had NO idea this was a problem, NEVER received any notice in the mail nor did CarMax say anything. carcomplaints.com will definitely be on my search list for our next used car purchase! Good that Honda stepped up and fixed it. This site suggested the average failure is around 85000 miles, my car had 97500 when I noticed the leak. Do not drive your Civic if you notice the leak other than straight to a close by Honda dealer to avoid further engine or accessory damage.

- mawalshtn, Memphis, TN, USA

Jan 182016

Civic DX 1.8L

The infamous cracked engine block happened to my sons' 2007 Civic. It had been purchased nine months ago to get him to and from school/work. He was driving when the heat gauge went into the red and steam came out of the engine.

When he called me I was hoping it was only a rad hose but it turned out to be a cracked block. Thankfully the whole thing was covered by Hondas extended warranty. The cylinder head was also warped so they had to get a new one as well. This car is a manual so we also got the clutch replaced at a reduced rate since the engine was already removed. Kudos to Honda for extending the warranty for the car. It was a hassle though as it took over a week to get the parts and fix it. However, the car drives like a new car and will likely be reliable for many years to come.

- David R., Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Dec 102015

Civic

Obviously, Honda made bad engines of Civic, 2006 and 2007. I think it should be a recall. They have been replacing those engines free but they won't do mine because mine is salvage titled. I don't think that is fair. Everything falls on the qualification of replacement but salvage title. Engine is original.

I have been driving this vehicle for three years without problems or accident but because their manufacture defect, engine started leaking. I bought this car with expectation of driving many years. Now I am stuck because Honda company is avoiding their responsibility because of the title issue. I don't know what is the best thing to do. One sure thing is the problem is originated from Honda company but they won't fix the problem.

Anyone has same problem like me? I appreciate your advice.

- Soo K., Roseville, USA

Sep 022014

Civic LX 1.6L

Started last year, got aggravated during winter time. Took it to a mechanic(not dealer) and was replaced for 300 (CAN)

Upper right engine mount. After replacing, the car drives like new.

Another note:

I also changed my tires (michelin defender), oil change ($60), and drive belt ($170) for $1300 (CAN) one week earlier at the dealer. I feel I got ripped. So in totatl i spent $1600 in two weeks :'(. My car is 8 yo. I hope it will last me another 8 years Then I will be happy again.

- Mustfirstregister M., Surrey, BC, Canada

Sep 102015

Civic EX

My Civic started smoking so I popped the hood to take a look. Did not see anything obvious. An hour later there was antifreeze on the ground under my car. I drove her to my local mechanic who discovered a Cracked Engine Block. The damage made no sense to him, no accidents or obvious causes. He put in stop leak which seemed to keep it from leaking, for now. This was a temporary fix to say the least. Later that evening I googled 2007 honda civic cracked engine block and found a Consumers Report article about the recall and warranty extension. Managed to drive her to my Honda dealer to take a look and diagnose and it turns out I was covered for an engine replacement.

My only cost was the rental car coverage for the week.

ALWAYS DO YOUR RESEARCH! Saved me about $3500!

- Jackie H., Jackson, MI, USA