ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2008 Honda Civic engine problems: cracked engine block

Cracked Engine Block

2008 Honda Civic (Page 1 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

8.3

$2,920

1. repaired at dealer; installed new engine/block (27 reports)
  3. replace engine block (8 reports)
  4. Honda extended warranty to 8 years from purchase date (1 reports)
  5. honda has fixed the issue (1 reports)
2008 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Civic:

2008 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 042018

Civic EX

cracked engine block

You buy a Honda because it is reliable, right? WRONG. This is my second Civic and this 2008 has been nothing but a pain in my ass. Apparently, they knew the engine blocks were prone to cracking... they gave a 10 year extended warranty on the damn things! Just my luck, my car was purchased 10 years ago in March. Its August, and I'm out of luck. Now I have to decide if it is even worth it to put in a new engine on this thing. Ridiculous. This will be my last Honda.

- Rachel H., Shawnee Mission, KS, US

May 252018

Civic LX 3.2L V6

Honda America Complaint: Problem : Honda Technical Bulletin # 10-048

Description: Honda did not repair a known defect with cracked engine block for a Honda Civic 2008

On May 20th, I purchased a used Honda Civic 2008 from a local dealer. A lovely car. We drove the car for a little over a month before we realized that it loosing water constantly and overheats.  We checked the radiator and thermostat and found no issues with either. We took it to a local Honda repair shop who discovered that there is a hairline cracked engine block. I was about 7 weeks out of their extended warranty for this issue. Apparently, Honda discovered this as a defect for which they offered a 10-year program. However, it appears from everything I read that most owners have had their problems started like mine just recently, and after this warranty has expired.

I initially escalated within my local Honda dealership and I did not total coverage for the repair. I escalated to Honda America, who assigned me a Regional Customer service; who I can tell from the start had no interest in providing any additional assistance. It always appeared that his responses is scripted, right from the start, he set the expectation that they will unlikely cover my total repair being out of the warranty. It took Anthony from Honda America 10 days, to give me the answer that I knew would be unfavorable from the start. Honda has used the excuse of their time limit to deny service for a problem they recognize as a defect, but unwilling to take responsibility for. It is an unfortunate form of bullying and side stepping the consumer by declaring a timeline convenient for Honda to absolve themselves of responsibility. The engine block should not have any problems like that for 200k miles or even a lifetime.

Honda Needs to take responsibly for its defective product regardless of timeline. Or especially when they are close to the date.

If you had a problem like that with your car. Please call me 919-931-6137, or email me: hsabha@yahoo.com, I would like to join as many consumers as possible to take legal action against Honda and correct this injustice.

- Hisham S., Apex, US

Jul 192018

cracked engine block

I bought my 2008 Honda Civic from the first owner in July 2014, and it just had the cracked engine block problem last week. Last week I did the oil, coolant, transmission and P/S services at the dealer and when the services were done they charged me about $500 and then told me engine block was cracked and leaking coolant!!! Said just 1.5 month out of the "secretly" extended 10-year warranty but there's nothing they can do.

I did all my maintenance at the dealer, not to mention the $500 I just paid them and the new tires and battery I changed a few month ago. Dealer gave me a quote of about $5000 to replace with an used engine. That's almost close to, if not more than, the car's value. This is my first car and I am so disappointed with Honda, expecting it will last long and putting so much (efforts and money) on it.

I believe I did nothing wrong but just unlucky, or Honda should take more responsibilities as they sold products with known defects. Still arguing with Honda customer service and the dealer but not expecting much based on the attitudes they showed and other's experiences I saw online. Shame on Honda as it's a manufacturing defect and they knew it. They should gave this problem a 200-250K-mile warranty if not a life-time warranty.

- Zengquan W., Knoxville, TN, US

May 022018

Civic EX 1.8L

Have a 2008 Honda Civic. Suddenly noticed the heat gauge rise quickly. Stopped car right away and checked coolant. Coolant was extremely low and noticed leaking from what i thought was the water pump. Took it to my mechanic only to be told the block was cracked and needed an engine that would cost $2500. I did a quick Google search and found out there was an issue with all 2006-2008 and some 2009 models that had cracking blocks and "free engine replacements".

Contacted my local Honda dealer (Wyler Honda in Cincinnati) and they said they didn't know anything about the issue. I then sent the the Honda bulletins (10-048) that were posted on-line about the problem. They told me to bring car in to diagnose. Told me the block was definitely cracked and needed motor but I was out of the 10 year extended warranty (by 6 weeks!). I argued with them and they finally told me they'd replace the engine for $2100. I still complained that it should be free because of the frequency of the issue and my serial number was a covered serial number for the replacement.

After researching, also found that the majority of failures happens right at 90,000 miles, which is what mine has.They told me i should pay the $2100 then try and seek reimbursement from Honda. If i complained to Honda they wouldn't cover anything so i had the repair done then contacted Honda.

Two months later and several correspondence with Honda Customer Service and the Honda dealership, Honda CS said it was the dealerships responsibility and the dealership said it's Honda's responsibility. No one will call me back or respond to my requests for more communication to discuss.

I've since sold the Civic and am also in the process of selling my 2016 CRV I bought from that dealership. I'll never own another Honda. I have two Nissan Altimas with over 200,000 miles and no issues other than routine maintenance. If Honda treats their customers this way, I don't want to be their customer or ever own their cars.

- Tim W., Cleves, OH, US

May 072018

Civic

Honda Civic (2008) overheated on way to work on a Monday morning 5/7/18, had vehicle towed to Firestone they reported engine problem, engine got so hot dip stick melted. researched found vehicle covered under warranty had vehicle towed to AutoNation Sanford 5/11/18. engine covered but since engine was out they suggested a new clutch kit and replace timing chain paying for parts only no charge on labor, picked car up Friday 5/18/18 my son drove car, clutch pedal is to the floor, check engine light is on, speedometer not working and there is a humming noise, which I have been told should have been addressed with the "new" clutch install.

I am scared to drive the car. Called dealership Saturday morning 5/19/18, no call back. So I drove in my rental that I have had going on 3 weeks! Spoke to sales manager so very nonchalant, called and spoke to team leader 5/21/18 around 8:30 am still not return call from him and it is now 12:14pm. I am getting so very frustrated I thought having the Honda dealership fix the problem was a good thing not so sure right now.

This is my 3rd Honda, but they are making real hard for me to choose Honda again!

- Connie J., Sanford, FL, US

Sep 012017

Civic DX 1.8L

Unfortunately, I encountered the infamous 2006 Honda Civic Cracked Block issue.

The Bad news is that this happened on a vehicle that had a salvage title. It was salvaged due to damage in the rear quarter panel. Nothing to do with the engine. I took the car in to Honda dealership to have them inspect the engine for a coolant leak issue. They indeed reported that this is the Service bulletin 10-048 issue, but due to the salvage title they would not honor the warranty.

This is very disappointing! Honda is not willing to fix the problem caused due to Honda's poor quality on the engine blocks. I have purchased several new vehicles through this Honda dealership. Will now consider Toyota for my future purchases.

- Tony C., Discovery Bay, US

Feb 222017

Civic ES 4 cyl

My car insurance appraiser said this is just "old age", to have a 2008 Honda Civic just have all the lights go up and down on the dash and stop running. My car has $6500 worth of damage to it, the engine must be replaced and it's only worth $6500 wholesale in perfect condition? It's totaled and there nothing anyone can do about it? I am so very, very disappointed and will never buy a Honda again.

- April B., Lakewood, CO, US

Apr 072014

Civic 1.8L

cracked engine block

Cracked Engine Honda Civic 2008. My problem is solved but want to let others know. I bought the car used, third owner. It was 4 years old and the engine cracked. I could not believe it! I knew something had to be wrong with an engine cracking on a 4 year old car. I was on the computer for about 8 hours until I found something.

On some 2006–08 and early production 2009 Civics, the engine (cylinder) block may experience engine coolant leaks, resulting in engine overheating and cracking. It was a Service bulletin 10-048, not a recall. This saved my life. I got my engine for free under this bulletin. It wasn't a recall because the first bulletin stated that these engines MAY or MAY NOT crack. So of course they won't going to tell you, or you would not buy the car. They stated they sent letters out, and perhaps they did, but I was the 3rd owner. When I called Honda of course they said "Well, we have to see if it is covered".

I told them IT IS!!! The bulletin did not state any other requirements except that it was a Honda Civic between the year of 2006 - 08. No limit on mileage. So I took it in, and called corporate to file the complaint. They will give you a file number which is your defense if your issue is not worked on. The dealer tried to tell me I would have to pay for the hoses and so forth and I told them NO. The bulletin does NOT state that. I took pictures of my engine before I took it marked it with my finger nail polish, and marked all hoses. Corporate said I did not have to pay for anything. So always file a complaint with them before going to the dealer.

Since then they have changed the bulletin....Warranty Extension: Engine Block (Supersedes 10-048, dated December 23, 2010, to revise the information marked by the black bars) It is sad that many tossed, junked cars that were under this bulletin!!!!!! I am not sure I am allowed to upload the full bulletin but if anyone needs it, please email me.

- texasoup, Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jan 242017

Civic EX 1.8L

I had a Coolant Leak in my 2008 Civic EX. I went to my local mechanic and he told me that there is an "Engine Block Crack" and he has seen this in lots of Honda Civic and should be covered under extended warranty (Keith from Fiores Auto Center in Shrewsbury MA. Great guy). I searched it online and came to know that it's a known issue for Honda (2006 - 2008) and they extended the warranty for "Engine Block Crack" for 10 years (Technical Service Bulletins : 10-048). I took my car to Honda dealer and they checked and confirmed me that Engine Block is cracked and it's covered under extended warranty (Warranty for 10 years with unlimited mileage). I was lucky that my car was 9 years old. But I can understand the pain for someone whose car is 10+ years and specially with less miles. Honda should have at least had it for 15 years as it's such a great company and build reliable cars and should try to build customer loyalty.

- saxenama, Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Jul 012016

Civic

Honda is well aware of the inferior metal they used when manufacturing their 2006 thru early 2009 engine blocks. They end up cracking or in my case allow coolant to leak through pin holes. No check engine light came on and since there wasn't enough coolant in the system to register the temperature gauge it didn't even read hot. and therefore the engine blew up too.

Since I still owed $3,000 on the car loan it seemed like the end of the world, but thanks to my mom who knew to check for recalls or other repair complaints online and the fabulous service writer Gerald at Tipton Honda of El Cajon I ended up with a brand new engine and block. It took a little bit longer to complete due to the 4th of July weekend but Tipton Honda paid for 1/2 of the daily rental car charge and even charged up my A/C for free. I ended up paying only $300 for a few optional replacement parts.

I was truly blown away by their accountability for the repairs. Although I did not purchase my civic from them, I will definitely purchase my next Honda from Tipton of El Cajon as a result of this experience. Thanks,

Karen M.

- Karen M., El Cajon, CA, USA

Apr 142016

Civic

I smelled something burnt on Thursday, 4/14/2106 for the 2008 Honda Civic I bought from a Honda Dealer in October, 2015. I took my 2008 Honda Civic to an auto repair shop on Saturday, 4/16/2016, and I left it with the auto repair shop. The auto repair shop called me back later on to let me know that the 2008 Honda Civic's engine cylinder cracked, and it will cost $5000 to $6000 to repair.

Good grief!!! There was no warranty since the Honda Dealer doesn't certify any car that's more than 5 years old. Now I don't know what to do, and I don't have a car to drive to work. I hope someone could let me know what to do.

- sadinca, San Diego, CA, US

Feb 152016

Civic EX-L 1.8L

I recently purchased a two owner 2008 Honda Civic EX-L which appeared to have no known problems. The vehicle was inspected by a mechanic with only minor oil leaks found around the head cover. After driving for about 2 weeks the engine temperature indicator pegged out and the car engine shut off. It was discovered that the coolant was completely empty. The coolant/water mixture was replaced and the engine started. It was then discovered that the coolant leak was originating from the engine block. I investigated this problem and learned how very common this issue was with the 2006-2008 Civic line and also learned about the extended engine block warranty that Honda issued under TSB 10-048. I contacted my local dealership and brought the car in for inspection. The technician agreed the block was cracked and the dealership agreed that the block would be covered at no charge. I requested to have the clutch, associated components and the flywheel replaced. This cost was about $600 which was parts cost only since the entire engine would be essentially rebuilt anyway. After the technician had disassembled the engine and performed inspection on the parts that would remain after the rebuild he learned that the cylinder head was warped. The cost for this part was going to be about $2000. The tech had looked around at local mechanic shops and found a used head for $500. Now my total bill was going to be around $1100. Now the dealership had been very good about everything and I have no gripes with them. I do however have a gripe with Honda corporation as my head was damaged due to overheating caused by a defective block. I contacted Honda Customer Service twice and both times was told they would not cover the cost of the head. This is the fourth Honda I have owned and have never had a problem of this magnitude before. I've always considered Honda to have great reliability for a median investment. I can't seem to wrap my brain around the fact that Honda would warranty a defective engine block but not any issues that were created from a known problem. At this point my relationship with Honda has soured so much so that I will no longer buy another vehicle with the big "H" on the grill.

- phineascage, Blacksburg, SC, USA

Jul 152015

Civic LX 1.67L

In 2013 we received a letter that our one owner 2008 Honda Civic was covered under an extended warranty for 10 years unlimited mileage from the date of purchase as the 8th generation Honda Civic engine blocks were all defective.

July 2015, our block cracked and spewed out all the antifreeze it contained after driving on the freeway in Wisconsin. Took it to Wilde Honda in Waukesha, WI to have it looked at and it was diagnosed with a cracked block. The dealer advised this was a no cost repair to my family. The dealer had my car for a week to fix and get parts.

We got the Civic back and it made more noises than I have ever heard this car make. I brought it back and was told my left strut bearing and boot was bad. ( hmm, wasn't bad when it showed up there) so I had them replace it charging me of course. Drove off the lot and the engine was making noise. To make a long story short, it went back and forth to the dealer four times, and of course we were never given a loaner car for the trouble. The dealer acknowledged there is an issue with the engine but cannot find what it is, it's ticking and sounds like a valve that is bent or a slight push rod knock.

I called Honda in CA and went through the menu tree to finally get someone to talk to. I advised what is going on and they called the dealer to find out what has been done and why this issue is going on. behold, I get a call back from the dealer advising they are tearing my car down completely again and tearing out the replacement engine. It's my understanding after talking to a tech with Honda in CA that what the customer is getting is nothing more than a new engine block or " hollow casting" they dealer is taking out the used parts from the defective engine block and re-using them in the new block. these parts would include, pistons, push rods, crank, etc.

I know this is an expensive fix however, this is only setting up the consumer for my failure. I smell a class-action lawsuit coming down the pipes on this issue. Honda is going to lose it's loyal customer base with these practices if indeed this is what dealerships are being instructed to do with a engine block replacement.

- Richard R., Milwaukee, WI, USA

Sep 262015

Civic LX 4

I just bought this car with 119,000 miles on it from a dealership. It was OK for the first five days until I noticed that something was wrong. On my way back home, I noticed the temperature gauge raising. It kept rising almost to the red marker. I was very stressed. I finally figured out that my coolant reservoir was completely empty. My temporary solution was to add some coolant to the radiator and to the reservoir. So far the temperature gauge has remained at a good and steady temperature. Hopefully, Honda will take a look at it and determine the problem.

- Mahmoud A., Waynesville, OH, USA

Jun 172015

Civic 1.8L

We have a 2008 Honda Civic with the cracked engine block/leaking coolant issue (do not know yet if the head is warped). I called Honda, but because my family is on government PCS orders and my husband is serving the United Stated overseas Honda advised me that a known warranty issue would not be fixed. It surprises me that families that serve the United States are expected to pay for a major issue that Honda is aware about and would fix for anyone else. We are not overseas on vacation. We do not have a villa on the Med. We are in a country, away from our families,because my husband has felt the need to serve the US citizens in various capacities since for the last 15 years. There is a Honda dealership in this country. Could Honda USA work with that dealership to fix the problem? No. They were quite rude about it too. They said that my husband's service didn't matter, we were just outside of the US.

I know other car companies have worked with people posted overseas, so it can be done. It's just that Honda chooses NOT to do it. Very disappointed.

- Amy R., Green Cove Springs, FL, USA

Jan 152011

Civic EX

Vehicle had less than 36,000 miles and engine made a noise like a tea kettle boiling. We shut off car immediately as we knew something was definitely wrong. Honda said they had used faulty aluminum in the engine and replaced cracked block at no cost. We have had several other problems engine related since then that Honda has not covered or taken responsibility for.

- Jana N., Valencia, CA, USA

Nov 112013

Civic LX

I purchased this Honda Civic in 2010 as a certified used vehicle. This was the first used vehicle purchase for me with only 28,000 miles. 2 1/2 years later I notice the temperature rising so I promptly pulled over & turned off the engine. I called my mechanic thinking it was maybe a hose issue. He said after the car cooled down to check the fluids, drop it off & he would check it out. He called later that day & I was shocked when he said my problem was the engine block was cracked.

I immediately contacted Mike Whatley Honda, a dealership in Brookhaven, MS. referred to me by a friend. I was directed to the service department. I inquired about the engine block leak, he took my Vin #, looked it up & assured me I was covered under the extended warranty to replace block. I made an appointment for the next week. I did not originally purchase my vehicle at this dealership but in the future I will because of the outstanding service shown to me by Chuck Holloway, the service manager & his crew. They were EXTREMELY courteous & helpful...... He further explained the defect, assured me this was covered by Honda & ensured me everything will be taken care of quickly and efficiently. I picked up my car four days later & I couldn't be happier. Thanks again to Chuck Holloway & all service department employees @ Mike Whatley Honda Brookhaven, MS.:))

- Susan B., Biloxi, MS, USA

Sep 032013

Civic EX 1.8L V4

2008 Honda Civic ES started having overheating problems. Called dealer about it and they said to add coolant. Then the engine completely stopped. Engine block is cracked. Honda refused to honor the warranty saying the engine had been driven until the engine block cracked. Local Honda dealers refuse to have the car fixed and told me to get the car off their lot. Now stuck with a car that doesn't run and making payments on it. Being furious with Honda is an understatement.

Update from Jun 24, 2016: Honda corporate refused to honor their extended warranty for engine block crack failures, claiming we abused the engine. What? This was my son's car that he bought and he lost his job because he didn't have transportation to get to his job. We could no longer afford to make the payments for him and the car ended up being repossessed by the bank. Now his credit and mine has been affected.

I've read here and other forum of only a few people having their engines replaced by Honda, but I wonder how many more claims they denied like mine? I can see if it was our fault this happened, but it wasn't. This is a common problem among the 2006-2008 models. It would cost Honda too much money to honor their warranty, so Honda chooses a few at random to fix their problem. Disgusted with Honda.

- rowell65, Bellevue, NE, USA

Sep 172013

Civic

So...I drive a 2008 Honda Civic and just got it back from the dealership. Much like many others here...it started with the car overheating. I added coolant and the car worked fine. Later that day it overheated again. Took the car into get checked out and turned out to be...you guessed it...a cracked engine block. Lucky for me it happened when it did since it occurred with about 1500 miles left on the warranty. I honestly didn't realize that there's been soooo many cases like mine.

- Dj S., Lyndhurst, NJ, USA

Apr 112012

Civic EX L4 Gasoline

I would like to thank Eskridge Honda for replacement of the short block of the engine in my 2008 Honda Civic EX at no cost to me. I bought the car new from this dealer. Not only has this dealer serviced the car well, but they also stand behind their engine warranty. So, a big Thanks!!!!!

- jsparks, Yukon, OK, US