ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

7.5

$750

2. repaint (10 reports)
  3. new paint job on entire vehicle (8 reports)
  4. repaint entire car (6 reports)
2010 Honda Civic body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Honda Civic:

2010 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012016

Civic EX 1.8L

click to see larger images

paint is peeling paint is peeling

I have compiled 20 pages on powerpoint showing that honda has a 20 year known issue with paint problems. Paint and/or clearcoat failure that is exactly the same on car after car. Some bulletins that were never sent to their customers. Many people denied. This company is guilty of fraud. That is the term when a company continues to say that they are delivering good paint and knowingly does not. I would like to see enough pressure in a class action lawsuit to make them fix all cars that the paint peels or burns off in this pattern.

- Jan D., Doylestown, PA, US

Nov 282017

Civic LX V6

click to see larger images

paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling

My car is a 2010 Honda Civic where the paint is peeling on the trunk, the edges of the trunk, the rear window and by the side mirrors and some type of peeling or fading on the window driver and passenger sides. My sister has a 1996 Toyota Camry that has a better paint job than my car. Also, I've had to replace both the driver and passenger sun visors twice and they are broken again. I appreciate any help with this matter. Thank you.

- Rachel N., Temple, US

Mar 012018

Civic

Honda had a warranty for paint issues and also extended it by 6 months. That right there tells me they are responsible for what is happening to the paint of certain Honda vehicles.

My car started the deterioration of the paint outside their warranty. Its definitely not normal wear/tear on the paint, its like its eating away at it. I feel real strongly that Honda is responsible for this issue and should take the responsibility to repair the damage. They say its normal wear/tear on the paint and not a manufacturer defect. However, by all the issues and as well as issuing a warranty, you know that's a lie.

They did acknowledge some responsibility in my case. But not enough.

- Dolores L., Honesdale, US

Dec 012016

Civic LX

I never thought I would have one of those ugly Honda Civics with peeling clear coat and white spots. My car had a beautiful appearance until about a year and a half ago. I feel betrayed by Honda. They sell a nice looking car, that after a certain amount of years is embarrassing to be seen in. There is nothing you can do to prevent it either. It appears to be a defect in the paint.

- Andrew T., Amityville, US

Mar 012017

Civic EX

click to see larger images

paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling

Paint clear coat is failing. Started as a cloudy patch on the red Honda. Then started turning white and peeling.

Update from Mar 26, 2018: Contacted the dealer 3 times. They told me that the extended warranty doesn't apply to my car based on the VIN.

- Angela B., Ringgold, US

Sep 012017

Civic LX Coupe 1.8L

Black Honda Civic peeling colors from the top and trunk. A minimum in the front. Looks bad. Fix required.

- Kingshuk S., Budd Lake, US

Oct 012016

paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling

Paint started oxidizing, clear coat started flaking off here and there over the years. Late last year it got really bad, now the car looks awful. I went to the dealership, they said Honda did have a "warranty extension" for my vehicle but that it expired 7 months ago. They suggested I call Honda and explain the situation, I did, they said sorry, we can't help. I was never notified of this "extension", also, this paint issue is obviously a known problem, how can they just defer to the expiration in good conscious? The obvious answer is they don't care and that not notifying vehicle owners is a cost savings to them. Below is a copy of my communication with Honda Customer Service.

------ Original message------ From: Honda Customer Service Date: Wed, Nov 8, 2017 5:07 PM To: talk2us4@comcast.net; Cc: Subject:Re: (Case #06443485) Other - null [ ref:00Do0JBy0.5001JUlWbV:ref ]

Dear William Howard,

We value you as a Honda customer, your request was reviewed and a position provided after taking all factors into consideration. At this point the vehicle has over seven years in service putting it outside of warranty parameters American Honda mails campaign notification letters to the registered owner of the vehicle. We do understand that there is a known issue with the paint on some of these vehicles, however we will not cover an issue for an indefinite period of time. In the case of Safety Recalls time restrictions are not placed given the nature of the defect.

We welcome you to contact us with any additional comments or questions. Our customer service team can also be reached by calling #800-999-1009, option #7 or on Twitter @HondaCustSvc.

Kind regards,

Honda Automobile Customer Service Case #06443485

Attention: If you are not the intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender. Thank you for your cooperation.

--------------- Original Message --------------- From: talk2us4 [talk2us4@comcast.net] Sent: 11/8/2017 1:05 PM To: acs@ahm.honda.com Subject: Re: (Case #06443485) Other - null [ ]

Honda must be selling an awful lot of cars to just throw away a customer like this. I will never buy another one. I find it odd that my question about why I wasn't contacted concerning the extension was not addressed. The logical answer is that Honda didn't contact me... Why is this? Cost savings... The extension meant nothing if vehicle owners weren't notified. It's simply a publicity stunt. I will forward my social media posts concerning Honda's reply, I don't suspect you'll care as you're obviously selling plenty of cars. Customer Service is non existent anymoreScott & Leaha Howard

------ Original message------From: Honda Customer Service Date: Wed, Nov 8, 2017 2:54 PMTo: talk2us4@comcast.net;Cc: Subject:(Case #06443485) Other - null [ ] Dear William Howard,

We value you as a Honda customer and we appreciate the opportunity of responding to your concern. On behalf of Honda, we offer our sincere apologies for the circumstances which prompted you to reach us. Upon further review of the circumstances regarding the paint on your vehicle, we confirmed your vehicle has surpassed any applicable warranty from the manufacturer. When a vehicle has exceeded warranty coverage, repair costs are relinquished to the owner. We do understand there was a W/E issued regarding the paint on your vehicle, however once the vehicle is outside of the W/E parameters associated repairs fall on the vehicle owner. Given the age of the vehicle out of warranty assistance will not be considered at this moment.

Please be advised that there is a pending Safety Recall: Passenger Airbag Inflator (16-048). Safety recalls will be completed at any local Honda dealership at no cost to the vehicle owner.

Kind regards,

- talk2us4, Indianapolis, US

Oct 012017

Civic LX

Multiple panels have been repainted on this car due to faulty paint. Honda would only repaint each panel one at a time, as the panel corroded. Now we have reached the last panel which is peeling, and Honda says they will only cover half of the cost. This is my first Honda, and if I don't receive satisfaction, my last.

- 32543219 .., Fairfield, CA, US

Jun 012016

Civic EX 1.9L

Bought car in Florida new off lot, got a warranty extension with no dates of expiration in letter! Went to dealership when airbag was done for recall, was told warranty extension ended 2 months ago and that they Doyle cover only 75% of cost, my cost would be $500 of a $2000 paint job! Called corporate and they told me no!

- Dustin E., Raleigh, US

Jul 012017

Civic LX

The paint on the hood of my Honda 2010 civic has peeled and discolored so bad that my 13 year old son is embarrassed for me to drive him to his bus stop.

I had always heard how good Honda cars are and being a single mother I wanted to buy a reliable car that would last me for years and I could pass down to one of my sons, but big mistake! I will never buy a Honda again.

- doconnor, Mantua, NJ, USA

May 012017

Civic

It makes the car look bad and it makes me (as the owner) look like I do not know how to maintain my car.

- Allison A., Brossard, QC, Canada

Oct 072015

Civic LX

Car shouldn't have the paint flaking off, looks awful, embarrassing. Can be sure I will never, ever purchase another Honda vehicle.

- Sally S., Bennington, US

Jan 122016

Civic SI 2.0L

I will send the pictures. It started just a small peel on the top of my car then it gradually grows bigger. My car is only 7 yrs old and yet it looks like a 20 old car! My wife's car is a lot older from toyota and yet the paint is still nice. My car needs to be repainted because Honda's paint is weak and low-quality!

- Robert I., Bolton, ON, Canada

May 042015

Civic ES 4

paint is peeling

The picture I've attached shows the beginning of the paint problem on my 2010 Civic which has now spread across the entire roof of the car.

I spoke to my dealer and was informed that I would have to wait until a regional manager comes in on a once a month visit at which time he/she would inspect my vehicle. I also spoke to Honda Customer Service about the extended paint warranty which was issued for precisely this problem but was informed that my vehicle's vin number was not on the list so it was not covered. What???? Why not? The paint/top coat or whatever is oxidizing and peeling, the car looks like crap through no fault of mine and Honda will not accept responsibility for this? I am beyond furious and at this point have no idea how to proceed with this.

- Donna H., Patchogue, NY, USA

Jun 012016

Civic EX 1.8L

I first noticed this problem over a year ago, but figured my warranty was over and I was stuck with it. Recently, a body shop person told me to bring the car to Honda and when I happened to Google the problem discovered that this is a well known issue with Honda and they issued several bulletins on it. I was never notified of this. I brought the car to the dealer who told me I was 4 months past the extended warranty on the issue. I called Honda and after getting an estimate agreed to pay for the repair minus $500 from me. As this problem is 100% their responsibility, I do not feel this is fair. A. They failed to paint the car properly, and B. They failed to notify their customer in a timely fashion. I find this unacceptable for a 30 year Honda customer.

- David B., Peabody, US

Nov 012016

Civic LX

Purchased a 2010 Honda Civic LX color grey. The front fender on the drivers side the paint clear coat is peeling. This is definitely a defect from Honda. This is our 7th Honda we have purchased, including 2 Honda Pilots and 5 Honda civics. We own a 2003 Civic that paint looks better than our 2010. We are really disappointed and will most likely not purchase from Honda again unless they can make things right.

- Emily L., Tumwater, US

Dec 012016

Civic LX

Paint started peeling , after reading online going to see the dealer in coming days hope they will respond positively

- Prabhu R., Pittsburgh, PA, US

Mar 012016

Civic LX 4 cyl 1.8L Fi Sohc

paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling paint is peeling

Paint & Clear Coat Peeling

I cannot afford to get my car repainted and fix the coat peeling. my car is 6 years old and that

too early for this to happen in a car. Why is this happening. Did Honda not have good paint and clear

coating to their cars. I can see an older car but this car is 6 years old.

PLEASE HELP!!!!! what is Honda doing to resolve this???? is there any recalls for this?

- Lillian C., West New York, NJ, US

Oct 012006

Civic ES 4 cyl

For the last few years I kept seeing chips of paint peeling off the car, especially around the windshield front and back as well as on the trunk itself. The car looks horrible. I was parked one day in a shopping center and there was an identical Honda Civic parked near me and the paint job was beautiful. As I was getting ready to leave the owner of the other civic looked at my car and asked me what year it was and the color of my paint, I told her a 2010 civic Atomic blue. She asked if I knew that Honda had a recall of civics with that color paint, that she got a new paint job from them for the same problem I had with my car. I called my local Honda dealer where I purchased the car and they said yes it was true, they asked what my vin number was and they checked and said that particular vin number was not on the list. I contacted Honda corporate office and told them the story and they said to bring the car to the dealer and have them take pictures of the damage and they will see what they can do for me. The adjuster just called me to say that after looking at the pictures it would be a total cost of $2075.00 and I would have to pay $800.00 and they would absorb the difference.That is completely ridiculous, I can go to any body shop and pay under $500.00 for a paint job. I am very upset with that offer they gave me when other vin numbers for the same color paint were fixed free of charge. I was getting ready to trade it in for a new civic, I have only about 52000 miles on the car and except for the paint peeling the car is in excellent condition, but now I will never buy a Honda product again. Shame on you Honda!!

- mytwins2, Pompano Beach, FL, US

Feb 012016

Civic

The paint on the top of the car and the trunk is fading. It is fading in the shape of spots and then getting larger over time. It started out as the finish looking dull and then turned into gray spots where the paint has peeled and worn away. This is unacceptable. This is the fourth honda that I have bought. It has never happened before. However, considering that honda clearly doesn't want to fix the problem, I won't be buying another honda after this! Not going to take the chance that this problem will happen on another car.

- Joseph S., Ossining, NY, USA