7.3

$750

1. rewire (4 reports)
2017 Honda Civic electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Honda Civic:

2017 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Oct 102018

Civic EXT 1.5L I-4

One morning, after the Civic has not been driven for 2 days, right after starting the engine, lots of dash lights popped up (6 different messages: power steering, traction control, tire pressure, etc.). It couldn’t be driven at all, so it had to be towed to the nearest Honda dealer. Since it was still on warranty, we hoped that it would be covered.

Unfortunately, we were informed by the dealer that rodents had chewed on a front steering sensor to motor harness, part number 53680-TBA-A00, so it wouldn’t be covered by warranty. We were told the mechanic had to repair the harness. Harness part would have cost only $6.30, but we were told that the dealer didn’t have it in inventory so they had to do re-solder or crimp the wires and put a special electric tape around it which would repel the rodents going forward. If I had to order it myself online, it would also cost about that much, but I would have had to wait for the delivery. After all, the total bill for the labor was $268.09. That harness is right there; you can see it if you look down between the firewall and the engine, and you can replace it if the car is lifted or even put on the ramps. The problem is, you cannot drive the car onto the ramps to diagnose the issue as it needs to be towed.

Going forward, we were told by the dealer to spray fox urine into the engine compartment to repel the rodents. You’ve got to realize that it would be very stinky though. So, we went to Ace Hardware and bought a can spray based on mint oil and castor oil and couple of packs of rodent-repelling pellets saturated with peppermint and spearmint oil. Very nice smell, but the rodents evidently cannot stand it. We sprayed the can around the harness and inside the engine compartment, and zip-tied those mint packs around the harness. Total cost for a can and a couple of packs was around $20, and you’ve got to keep spraying and replacing the packs every few weeks, for which you’d need to reach down behind the engine with your one hand and hopefully be able to attach the packs to the harness with that one hand. Otherwise, you’d need to put the car on the ramps and remove 2 underbody aluminum panels so you can reach the harness. It’s been a month since, and we haven’t had any problems, but we have to keep spraying going forward. Overall, what a hassle because of the $6.30 part!!! Whoever produced that harness from soy had a convenient excuse of “being environmentally friendly”. Friendly to the rodents, that is (why didn’t they wrap it in cheese!) However, common sense tells you that it is a part of a bigger conspiracy of planned obsolescence when you have to keep spending money on parts and dealer labor. It’s not good enough to get your $23,000 for the car. They’ve got to get your post-sales revenues to support the parts and repair industry. However, the music might end eventually when someone dies because of the electrical short that would lock the steering at the wrong moment and it comes to monetary damages. But for now, crime pays!

P.S. We keep a couple of good old 10 and 13-year old cars on the same suburban driveway for many years, just as our neighbors, and we all have never heard of any rodents chewing electrical harnesses before. Good old NOT “environmentally-friendly” harnesses. Makes you think twice before buying anything new!

- Leo B., Flower Mound, TX, US

Sep 222018

Civic

While driving to work, steering got really heavy and then all indicator warning lights lit up. Took to the car to the dealer the next business day and was told that rodents had chewed through the engine wiring harness in places where all they could do is replace the whole thing. 6hrs of labor and parts total $1600. I had to file a claim with my insurance, covered by comprehensive, and then make arrangements for a rental. Whose the Design Engineer who thought it would be good to make soy based edible wires???

- Des D., Valencia, CA, US

Apr 022018

Civic LX 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

Rabbits chewed the the soy based covering on the power steering harness which caused the power steering to malfunction as well as other electrical problems. I took it in to DCH Honda of Temecula and they played dumb. Replaced the harness for $342.31. They did not offer any information about why this happened, even though they obviously knew. I didn't know I had rodent food sitting under my hood or I would have tried to take steps to prevent repetition of the problem. Two months later it happened again and I found out about the problem from this site. Honda is, of course, denying any responsibility for the problem. So disappointing. I had such respect for Honda and its cars. Not so much anymore.

- Michael E., Temecula, US

Mar 092018

Civic 4 DR EX 1.5L 4 cyl

Honda did repair the problem but did not insure that the problem would not recur again. Had to look for solutions elsewhere. Rodent repellent sprays or electrical repellents. Also had issue with air conditioner. Honda said the two problems were not connected. I am not that sure.

- Sam T., Scotch Plains NJ, US

Oct 012017

Civic Hatchback 1.4L V4

In over 45 years of owning cars, including Honda's, have never had a rodent chew through wiring as on the new Civic.

- Harry K., Lombard, IL, US

Mar 012017

Civic

I leased my Honda Civic from Herb Chambers Honda of Boston in Nov. 2016. I also took out the GAP insurance on this lease. My car received damage from rodents chewing on the wiring (under my car) due to the soybean coating that Honda is using on the wire covers. I was told that this is not covered. Remind you "this is a LEASE."

I was quoted $2,600 in repairs. I ended up paying a $500 deductible to my insurance company. There are class action law suits in place in CA and other states regarding the "soy-based wire covering" I am seeking reimbursement for my $500 deductible and some type of guarantee that this won't happen again. This issue really needs to be recalled by Honda. Shame on them!!

- shaimar_17civic, Chelsea, US