9.2

1. new cylinder lock and rekeyed (2 reports)
  2. replace ignition, and re-keyed (2 reports)
2003 Honda Element accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Element:

2003 Honda Element Owner Comments

Oct 102017

Element LX Not Sure

second time my key would not go into the ignition . I called a locksmith who said that hondas are known for this problem. this time it was a little cheaper but why isn't this a recall. I have owned many cars in my lifetime and have never had a problem like this in all my other cars and this problem has happened to me twice in this car.

- , Toms River, US

Oct 052009

Element LX Not Sure

at first the key was difficult to get into the ignition, i started using my spare key and leaving it in the ignition and locked the doors as i was afraid i would be stranded somewhere if i took the key out . Finally i went to honda they quoted me 1300.00 to fix the problem. the service man said why don't you contact a locksmith because that's what honda will do. I contacted a locksmith who charged me 700.00 and he came to the house..

- , Toms River, US

Jan 132013

Element EX

Ignition worn out! The key would not go into the ignition. When it did go in, I could not turn it to start the car. Vehicle had to be towed to Honda. I have driven vehicles that were 20+ years old and have never once did I have a worn out ignition or key. Honda refuses to adress the problem. Service tech said there was too much weight on key ring and that is why it broke. (only had 3 other keys on keychain). What a lame excuse! I am currently shopping for a new car and it won't be a Honda.

- , North Mankato, MN, USA

Jan 202013

Element EX

For Honda not to address this problem is insane! How does a key wear out? I have had cars 20+ years and have never had an issue with a key wearing out. This was my first Honda. Sad to say it is going to be my last Honda as well.

- , North Mankato, MN, USA

Jun 042009

Element LX

It took 10 minutes to get my key into the ignition-since I drive 1 hour to get to work I don't have time to spare.

This is ongoing.