ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

7.3

$600

1. repaint (10 reports)
2012 Honda Odyssey body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda Odyssey:

2012 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

May 012018

Odyssey LX

I have a 6 year old white Honda Odyssey that the paint is peeling off. It is clearly a manufacturer issue as is peeling in different areas, especially the roof and hood. I'm afraid to wash it as the paint just comes off so easily. I took it to the dealership where they told me "too bad it's over your 3-year period of warranty". "Honda corporation needs to issue a recall in order for us to fix it". I am so disappointed as I really like this minivan.

- mmdees, Bonita Springs, US

Aug 012017

Odyssey V6

We bought a white Honda Odyssey. This van comes highly recommended. I would highly recommend unless you OWN a body dealership to steer clear.

I bought the EXTENDED warranty that cost a few thousand dollars. The warranty went to 100k. At about 106k I parked my car and realized the whole front of my van roof in front of my sunroof just started to peel off and fly away while driving.

I took my car into HONDA. they told me TOO BAD, SO SAD, SUCK IT, you have no coverage as 9000km over the coverage is way too much to warrant a paint job. I told them it was clearly a manufacturer issue and they said sorry we wont cover it. Now my tailgate and around my gas is also peeling all by itself.

I am so disgusted in Honda I will never buy another one.

- jackieon, Cambridge, ON, Canada

Feb 252018

Odyssey EX-L 3.5L V6

click to see larger images

paint peeling paint peeling paint peeling paint peeling

After arriving at our church, my husband looked out at our 2012 Odyssey and couldn't figure out what was on the vehicle above the front window. He went out to check and found large sections of paint missing.

We called today and the dealership said there is no coverage for this. It is clearly releasing from the vehicle as you can see the primed metal.

We have owned Honda's since the 1990's and are extremely disappointed they aren't taking responsibility for a clearly bad paint job. We have never owned a vehicle where the paint released in large sections and we keep our vehicles till they have 100's of thousands of miles on them.

- Tom L., Tecumseh, US

Nov 032017

Odyssey Touring

Purchased a White Honda Odyssey Touring Brand New in Mobile, AL in September 2012. Considering that the Odyssey is made in Lincoln, Alabama and as a native of Alabamian...embarrassed for Alabama's workforce as we try to lure more car manufactures to Alabama. The vehicle has been a great vehicle to drive across the USA with my young family on summer breaks. We are disappointed in the white paint has started to come off in chunks in two places and concerned it might be a defective problem. One under the back driver's side window and one on top of the roof (about 8 inches in diameter). The vehicle has never been abused, hand washed mostly, no harsh chemicals and often garage kept. It seems after paying $38,487.00 that this should not be occurring. So, we are exploring having it repainted with a Class A paint job. Our family needs a family vehicle and had plan to drive it for 15 years. With 3 children it gets expensive to trade cars too often. I hope this dad's testimony will help young families and future families to be cautious in their next purchase.

Update from Aug 22, 2018: I went through the local Honda Service Manager. I went through Honda Motor Co, Inc. I even got an estimate from the paint shop that the local Honda dealership uses. Its clearly due to a problem when they paint the vehicles of proper preparation, lack of drying thoroughly and overall cutting corners to make a buck. There have been multiple Hondas that have this problem. I followed through with their dispute/resolution group and they will not administer the matter if it is not a warranty issue or beyond the warranty. Thus, there is no arbitration agreement outside of the warranty. Basically, if you buy a new vehicle with a bad paint job...its not their problem. I don't see me purchasing another Honda.

- usaconsumer, Montgomery, AL, US

Oct 212017

Odyssey Touring Elite V6

paint peeling

2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite with 62k miles always garaged and kept clean, starting peeling paint between windshield and moon roof. Our local Honda dealership, Honda Mall of Georgia and Honda Corporation refuse to fix the defective paint. Apparently, our 6 year/105k extended warranty doesn't cover this either. I've had clear coat issues with previous Accord. I will not buy another Honda until this issue is resolved.

- Andy H., Suwanee, US

Dec 212016

Odyssey

paint peeling

This problem does not show up (conveniently, I'm sure) until after the 3-year/36,000-mile warranty has expired. I can get repainted for $1,000-$2,000--at a Honda dealership, of course.

Of course this is totally ridiculous. This is obviously a factory defect (one Honda dealership told me either it was done wrong in the factory, or it's been repainted by the previous owner. Who repaints just the top of their car? What kind of fender-bender only damages all the paint on the top of the car, but (almost) nowhere else??

The roof is now not the only place the paint is peeling. The cancer has spread to behind the driver-side sliding door, as well.

I'm thinking about leaving it as is, and getting a "Quality by Honda" paint-job on my hood for the advertising value. Would that be next to peel off?

- Ashley A., Columbus, OH, US

Apr 042017

Odyssey EX-L V6

paint peeling

Had paint peeling down to the metal on the lift gate. Dealer sent to be fixed. Had the car back a few days and all of a sudden a huge patch of paint just peeled off the roof.

- Joshua S., Fredericksburg, VA, US

Feb 112017

Odyssey Touring V6

Barely 4.5 years old and the roof has an 8x 6" paint peel. Car has always been in the garage when not being driven since purchase and this happens! Honda says it's not covered and everyone I've shown it to is appalled that such a relatively new car needs a new coat of paint on the roof. It has never had anything touch that area (no roof rack, etc.) and no crash, flying debris or anything to cause the paint to peel. We live in Southern California and have no temperature extremes. Just can't understand it.

What was interesting is the day after I first noticed it, another Honda Odyssey, also white, was parked right next to mine and it too had the same problem! I thought for sure there must be a recall or similar but nope. I'm going back to Toyota if they don't remedy this one. Never had an issue with my Toyota Sienna and wish I'd never sold it.

- Lisa K., San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 012016

Odyssey Touring V6

The paint is peeling above the windshield. It is peeling down to the primer.

- Trevor C., Zelienople, PA, USA

Aug 012016

Odyssey Touring Sedan V6

I was hand washing my car and when I ran my sponge over the windshield and upward the paint came right off the car. I brought it to a collision place who looked at it and diagnosed that it will continue to peel right off-and it is-because it has no adhering ability..........

- weglarz, Sayville, NY, USA

Jun 042016

Odyssey Touring

click to see larger images

paint peeling paint peeling paint peeling

Very disappointed that a 4 year old Odyssey Touring would already have paint chipping off the van.

- Robert M., Mooresville, NC, USA

Oct 312015

Odyssey EX-L Touring V6

I went to the local Honda Dealer in Joliet IL. and upon talking to their service personnel, before they saw the vehicle or I told them any information about it, he told me that there was no warranty left on the Vehicle...WTF???!!!!! How does he know anything?! I didn't tell him!!! So we start off there. Then we transition into them telling me that it would be $1,385 to get it painted. OK....However, I have a $500 deductible... WHAT? I don't have insurance with you! Where do you get a deductible?

This is a three year old vehicle that has paint peeling off in SHEETS!!!! Your paint doesn't last three years?! WTF did I buy a Honda for???? OK, so I go out and get an estimate on my own (from two places) both of which are $1,050 or less. BUT.... I have to go to their place to get it fixed!!!! I am getting hosed and getting hosed bad!!!! I HATE HONDA!!!! On my fourth one and they are getting worse. Will never buy another again. EVEN if I get this resolved with no money out of pocket.... but it ain't going that way so far...

- Chad C., Minooka, IL, USA