8.7

$1,210

2. have them check your alternator (1 reports)
  3. repair ground, wiring (1 reports)
  4. replace crank angle sensor (1 reports)
  5. replace electronic throttle control activator (1 reports)
  6. replace throttle body (1 reports)
2009 Hyundai Santa Fe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 302021

Santa Fe Limited

For second time in less than a week, Hyundai Santa Fe stalls when taking tight turn on exit ramp at mid-range speed. Lost all power and almost slammed into wall / oncoming traffic. Could have been deadly situation.

- Stacey S., Berrysburg, US

Jun 272021

Santa Fe Limited

Hyunda Santa Fe stalled out while going around a tight curve while exiting highway at a mid-range speed. Lost all power. Came close to slamming into jersey wall. Could have been a very dangerous, even deadly situation.

- Stacey S., Berrysburg, US

Oct 052020

Santa Fe 3.2L V6

I have taken the car to the shop many times, the mechanic can not duplicate the issue. There are no codes for my car stalling while driving. There is no power, no brakes, no steering, no lights, nothing. I have had this issue two times, one driving 10 miles and hour and one time doing 20 miles per hour. This is a serious issue and needs to be fixed but can not replicate.

Update from Sep 14, 2021: First of all, my engine started stalling at 79,000 but there was no option for that mileage. After a few thousand dollars, and a few mechanics, it was determined that my alternator needed to be replaced. This should also be on a sensor.

- Edna J., Alexandria, US

Oct 012020

Santa Fe 3.2L V6

My car stalls without any warning, this is very dangerous. This has happened 3 times within 3 months. It does not matter what the speed is, I could go 5 MPH or 25 MPH. I live off major highways in the DC area, this is not a good feeling. I took my car to the Hyundai dealership around the 4th of October, told the Service Writer what had happened, it was ignored. I have less than 90,000 miles and the car is 11 years old, I drive maybe 40 miles a month these days and do not want to purchase another car. My dealership is approximately 20 miles from my home, to paranoid going that far. Even though this car is a 2009, I never had serious issues until after the warranty expired.

- Edna J., Alexandria, US

May 082020

Santa Fe 4DSW

This is very dangerous and people have nearly back-ended me as I have stalled/stopped without warning. It has happened at least six times since I have owned the car and I had thought it was something that I had done wrong until it happened today and I did a web search and found out that it is a chronic problem. I called dealer and they said they knew nothing of the problem. I called Hyundai corporate and lodged a complaint and got a case number. Please everyone else do the same. Call 1-800-633-5151 and push O for operator and lodge an official complaint.

- Katherine P., Tucson, AZ, US

Feb 132019

Santa Fe 2.2L Diesel

I experienced the same stalling issue that many on this site have also suffered from, but the Hyundai dealer here in Bathurst NSW (Australia) searched the service info docs and found that a faulty crank angle sensor can cause the exact problem I was having, it was replaced and now the car has behaved perfectly for the last 18 months.

There may be other reasons the stalling problem occurs, but you should definitely try this as it worked for me!

FYI, my vehicle only stalled at low speeds and intermittently (couple of times a week)

- rickcoleman, Bathurst, Australia

Apr 072018

Santa Fe Limited 3.3L V6

Engine stopped at traffic lights. By luck it did not happen driving on freeway at 55mph. I do not want to think what would have happened then. I need immediate help under warranty from Hyundai on this issue.

sevket@gmail.com

- Sevket O., Potomac, MD, US

May 202017

Santa Fe V6

5th time engine stalled while driving, driving in a straight line, level road, coming to a set of lights. Complete loss of power, no lights, no power steering, no power brakes. Scares the heck out of you. Afraid to drive.

Dec 232017

Santa Fe V6 Diesel?

I have borrowed this 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe from my mum. It first stopped at the shopping centre and we had to wait 30 minutes before it would start again. We made it home. Next day I was driving back to the shops and it just stopped in the middle lane of a busy road at a set of lights. There was much angst among drivers behind me. I again had to wait 30 mins before it would start. I drove home via the back streets and it stopped about half way but at a safe place. I left it there and walked home. I went back a few hours later and started it and took it straight to my mechanic. He could not find anything with his diagnostic tool but changed a camshaft sensor and it seemed to be going ok. Then my wife took it for a drive to a different shopping centre and was then traveling to the one above and it stalled on the way home in a reasonably safe place. I picked up the kids and our lunch while she waited half an hour and restarted the engine. It went 5 metres then this time stalled in a lane with busy trafffic so more driver angst. She had to call a tow truck. The tow truck arrived but she managed to start the car but it only went another 200 metres so she had it towed the rest of the way to my mechanic, only about 1/2 km but still very annoying. The mechanic did something else and it started going but then stopped again on my way home. Its now at home waiting for me to find out what to do. I am too scarred to drive it to the Hyundai shop as next time there could be a serious accident. Ahhhh.

- gynther, Sydney, Australia

May 192017

4th time engine stalled while driving,

1st time - right turn

2nd time- right turn

3rd time - coming to a stop at a stop sign

4th time - 3 minutes down the road from the 3rd time.

5th time- driviing in a straight line, level road, coming to a set of lights

May 182017

Santa Fe V6

2nd of 5 stalls while driving. First time was right turn, second time was in the middle of a turn, turning right.

May 152017

This was the first occurrance of 4

Taken to Mechanic . Error code was "low fuel pressure".

May 052017

Santa Fe Limited 3.3L V6

Happened again! Hyundai Santa Fe stalled out on me on my way home from work. Was making a left hand turn onto a busy street and BAM! Again, lost all steering, power, etc. had to coast to a stop, put it in park, and restart the engine. Generally starts right back up, but I am so afraid I'm going to be rear-ended! Have had it in to the dealer and they can only suggest to replace the throttle body, but only say that it COULD fix the problem. For $650 they should be able to tell me that it will fix the problem. Do not feel safe driving my car.

- byer, Peoria, US

Apr 222017

Santa Fe ES V6

Driving one block from my home, The engine suddenly shutdown in the middle of the turn.

- Robin S., Westlake Village, US

Apr 092017

Santa Fe Limited V6

Driving along the hwy at a speed of 90 km and the car died. No power, was a near multi car accident as everyone behind me had to slam on their brakes, cars were swerving everywhere. I turned the key off as the lights on the dashboard were lit up, ESC AWD Engine light. When I was able to collect myself, I turned the vehicle back on and the vehicle started but all the lights were still on.

I was able to take it into my mechanic the next morning and they were able to diagnose the problem as the Electronic Throttle Control Actuator needs to be replaced. Which can only be replaced at a Hyundai dealer. Go figure.

Can't believe that Hyundai has not taken responsibility for this problem in Hyundai Santa Fe vehicles. I guess they are waiting for a lawsuit.

I did not know of any problem previously as my Santa Fe has been pretty good to me.

- not happy, Quesnel, BC, Canada

Apr 152016

Santa Fe Limited V6

I have always loved my 2009 Santa Fe until April of 2016 when driving at about 35 mph it just shut off. All the lights on the dash came on and I had no power steering or braking or anything. It just shut down and it was very scary to say the least. Thankfully I was able to pull over without incident, put the car in park and it did restart right away. I called the Hyundai dealership where I purchased the car and they basically told me that they probably wouldn't be able to recreate the incident in the shop and maybe it was just a fluke so continue to drive it and see if it happens again. I was nervous to drive it but I did and then it happened a second time in August of 2016 when my husband was driving it at about 40 mph. We took it to the dealership and they did a diagnostic on it but nothing showed up. They said they could run more tests but we would have to pay for it and no guarantee that they would be able to find the problem. We told them that we had gone on the internet and this was a known problem with this car but they wouldn't do anything further. I think this is horrible customer service and shame on Hyundai for not having a recall on this problem. I have loved my Santa Fe but I will never buy another Hyundai product. This is very dangerous and it is a tragedy waiting to happen. What car just suddenly, without warning, shuts off! I am furious at Hyundai for not addressing this recurring problem and just leaving the customer with a dangerous car.

- Denise K., Eagan, MN, US

Nov 212016

Santa Fe GL 3.3L

ground fault in passenger side

The car had hesitated and stalled a few times. The sound system had also shut off or restarted randomly while driving. It seemed like something was affecting the power distribution. Then several days later the car died (no dash lights, ignition switch acting strangely, engine would not turn over. Fortunately it was in my driveway. I got some help and pushed the car into my garage. I've done a lot of work on cars and am also an electrical engineer and the car was not under warranty, so I downloaded schematics from the Hyundai service site (great that you can get this info, really helps, small charge) and proceeded to debug the problem. After a couple hours of investigation I narrowed the problem down to a grounding issue in the passenger cabin. I confirmed the problem by running a wire (jumper cable) from the negative terminal of the battery to frame on the inside of the passenger cabin. As soon as I made this connection, all problems disappeared. The engine started fine, audio system was working, all lights on. I'm not sure where the "break" in the ground connection is (a weld spot, wire/connector, other?), but running a separate wire from the battery to the passenger cabin and using an existing ground point solved the problem.

- Tom L., Ottawa, ON, Canada

Jul 012014

Santa Fe SE V6

Started a couple of years ago after fuel sensors went out. I was trying to accelerate into traffic and couldn't the ESC light and engine light came on at the same time. It's getting worse computer didn't give accurate reading so I had to pay Hyundai a $125 to diagnose they said Throttle Body Position part and Brake Switch not the recall one but other and ECM update. They scribbled what I needed on my receipt after I told her to write it down please . . . she just wanted to chat about it and must have assumed I'd be having it fixed there. NOT!!!!!! Ever since they wouldn't fix fuel level sensor when vehicle was only 2000 miles out of warranty I refuse to even deal with them. Anyway my mechanic said he needed there diagnoses as he couldn't get specific neither could they BTW because he had already told me the same thing they did. Since they failed to print out an estimate my husband has put a call in to Service manager this morning but he's gone not there until tomorrow at 7am tomorrow morning.

- Kathie H., Phoenix, AZ, US

Aug 132016

Santa Fe SE 3.3L

Engine stalls while driving, no check engine light, no errors when connected to OBD. I see there is a class action lawsuit for the same problem with the 2010 model, why is the 2009 left out? It's apparently a problem Hyundai is aware of.

- Geoffrey S., Orefield, PA, US

Aug 032016

Santa Fe Limited 3.3L V6

Stalled mid driving at 30mph. This is second occurrence, first was on highway, cruising at 65 mph. NOT ACCEPTABLE!

- Mike B., Cary, NC, US