2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems: engine stalls/shuts down while driving

Engine Stalls/Shuts Down While Driving

2014 Jeep Cherokee (Page 2 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

8.6

$700

2. replaced parts (4 reports)
  3. replace engine (3 reports)
  4. recall s55/nhtsa 16v-529 transaxle wiring harness (2 reports)
  5. replace transmission (2 reports)
  6. fuel related systems changed out! (1 reports)
2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 032016

Cherokee Limited

On my way to work, driving down the road and battery light comes on and error on screen says something like "car must be in park in order to shift" (not exactly sure of the wording) I managed to pull over before it died (good thing I commute at 5AM when most cars aren't on the road yet) The radio/dash all worked, and the only thing illuminated was the battery icon. Waited for about 15 mins before calling AAA to see if it would start up again but no luck. Called AAA waited 20 minutes and it started up fine when they got there.

- ttravers_3020, West Warwick, RI, US

Nov 052016

Cherokee Limited

Drove fine for almost 2 full days then I am on my way home from work about to get on the highway at a busy time and the error message (car must be in park to shift) comes on and so does the battery symbol, car loses power and I am now stuck in the middle of a busy road. Radio and everything still worked. Tried to wait it out since the car started up fine for the AAA guy the last time. Tried a couple times to start it up and no luck. Waited for the AAA guy to come and tow me yet again.

- ttravers_3020, West Warwick, RI, US

Nov 092016

Cherokee 3.2L

A week ago my Cherokee stalled at a stop sign. I turned it off (like an iPhone) and it hesitated but did start up and was Ok until yesterday when it stalled in the morning 3x before I left my development. I drove to the regular automotive guy I use who ran a quick battery diagnostic and said it was fine, keep driving to the dealership. I had recently received the official recall about Jeeps stalling while driving and wasn't sure if this fell into the same category. When I got there and they triaged I explained the problem and their rep said it sounded like my oil was low which I already knew, last oil change three months ago in August. He explained that these Jeeps burn a quart of the synthetic oil every 2000 miles, and when they get low they "turn themselves off to prevent damage." The oil light never went on. I replied that this was a dangerous feature and one I've never heard of. I've since looked in the manual and can't find this same info but intend to research it more.

Has anyone else been given this ridiculous excuse for this problem??? This car is 1 1/2 years old!! I can't believe any car manufacturer would purposefully include such a dangerous feature.

- Kathleen R., Miller Place, NY, US

Aug 152016

Cherokee

I will not start from the beginning (which was 2/2014, date of purchase for vehicle), but a service tech at the Jeep dealership where I service my car finally informed me my engine needed replacement. OKAAAAY , over 2 years later and many, many, many visits to dealer AND transmission replace last year. NOW new engine, WOW FCA, you guys really really put a lemon out for the 2014 Jeep Cherokee. No recalls yet, even after one Grand Cherokee runs over a person (the incident that was all over the news) . FCA should at least recall the 2014's!!! New engine is such a big big big issue here ... and now the car jerks when put in reverse. My repair sheets are so stacked even the dealership service guy was amazed!!!!

I have told everyone I could DO NOT BUY A JEEP ... so far at least 5 people I know bought other vehicles.

Bad job FCA !! BAD JOB !!!

- debstra53, Long Beach, CA, US

Oct 272016

Cherokee LX 2.4L V4

Went to Auto Zone for a free check and they found the problem but unable to give me parts because the Chrysler dealership has a control over parts. I headed to the dealership and to start need to pay over $100 for the same check up done free of charge. I'm not very happy with the Chrysler and specially with the RAM COUNTRY Dealership in Del Rio, TX because knowing the problem they keep selling them.

- aurelia77, Del Rio, TX, US

Sep 242016

Cherokee LX 2.4L V4

When a car stops running in the middle of traffic it's very scarey and dangerus. You pay 18K for a good service car.

- aurelia77, Del Rio, TX, US

Sep 012016

Cherokee Sport 2.4L

I have the same problem as Engine complaint #161.

While driving about 50 mph on winding hilly country road, the vehicle suddenly jerked and all the dashboard lights lit up. The car completely shut down. This shutdown lasted for only 2-3 seconds and then restarted as if nothing ever happened. It was not necessary for the driver to do anything. There was no need to restart the vehicle it restarted on its own as the key remained in the ignition and we did not touch it. IS NOT SAFE!!! My wife almost got in a car accident because car completely was shut off on the road where speed limit is 80km. We went into dealership at the same date and they just restarted the computer. That solution wasn't helpful because this problem came back again yesterday.

If we need to risk our life in that car?I don't think so.

I will go to dealership again to fix that problem but if that engine problem will happen again all newspaper and television will know about that.I repeat it is NOT safe!!!

- Sergey K., Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Sep 112016

Cherokee

My 2014 Jeep Latitude (51K) stalled as I entered the on ramp onto the freeway. The car engine simply cut off but there was still power ( the radio, the dashboard) all worked. I was forced to roll to a stop on the side of the on ramp. The car was still in drive gear during the slow crawl. The dash advised me that the desired gear was Park. I tried several times to restart the care but it would not turn over. Finally after several attempts, the car started back up. I drove it home and parked it. Decided to drive our Chevy Camero due to the unreliability of the Jeep. Cherokee Sport.

- Teanna C., Carson, CA, US

Sep 222016

Cherokee 4

There are so many problems with this Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4. we are on the 6th recall plus all the other major problems. such as, going up a hill and apply the gas and the RPM goes up to 55 and nothing happens. cruise control set on 65 and it starts going up to 75 DOWNHILL. headlights start flashing making people stop and pull over thinking you are signaling them that something is wrong. Wrong mirror assembly was installed @ the factory causing the the radio and bluetooth to short out. Entire radio component had to be replaced due to malfunction.

The latest was driving down a busy road and the engine shut down LOCKING the steering wheel, Unable to push it off the road. Finally it decided to start, it is now @ the dealership since Thursday and no word on when it will be available. THIS IS A DANGEROUS CAR. !!!! I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER JEEP AND THIS IS OUR 2nd ONE.

There is more but I don't want to bore you.

Update from Oct 4, 2016: Jeep was in the service dept for over a week. States solinod valve was open causing the complete shutdown of the car on a main road. Wiring harness for the transaxle is still not available.

The vehicle did not drive the same when we got it back. We traded it the next day, did not want to take the chance of it stalling on the freeway and causing a major crash and people getting injured or killed

- Phoebe M., Riverside, CA, US

Sep 192016

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6

One morning I was driving to work in my 2014 Jeep Cherokee, and I lost all power going 30 mph. The dash lights went off, the radio went off, and the engine turned off. I coasted to the shoulder with no power. I called the FCA Recall Assistance Center and they suggested I get a diagnostic done. If the problem is due to the S55 Transaxle Wire Harness recall, then they said I would be eligible for a loaner vehicle until the recall part was made for my Jeep. I called my local Jeep dealer and set up an appointment to get the diagnostic done. 2 days after my loss of power, I got a message on my dash that said, “Service 4WD.” This S55 recall is the 4th recall I’ve had to deal with in 2.5 years, and I’m deeply concerned about the safety of anyone who has to travel in it, namely myself and my family. The best thing Chrysler can do for me at this point, is to let me drop off my Jeep at the local dealership, take away the rest of my lease payments, and let me look for something safer for my family. BUYER BEWARE – this Jeep is NOT for any of you!!!

- dtb176, Minneapolis, MN, US

Jul 182016

Cherokee Limited 2.4L

Not going to bitch but had my 15 month old granddaughter in the car with my wife driving on interstate 95 in heavy traffic and car dies. This is just after getting car back from dealer and being told problem might be fix?

I am not having problem with Dealer but with Chrysler not stepping up to the plate. Not going to take car back unless ordered to.

- larcome, Newburyport, MA, US

Jul 102016

Cherokee Limited 4-cyl

My husband was driving my car, and it stalled/shut down when he was coming to a stop within our neighborhood.

- Amber P., Omaha, NE, US

Jul 052016

Cherokee Limited 4-cyl

This was the second time this occurred, and it happened while I was coming to stop at a stop sign onto a busy highway.

- Amber P., Omaha, NE, US

Mar 252016

Cherokee Latitude

click to see larger images

engine stalls/shuts down while driving engine stalls/shuts down while driving

Again, the engine simply cut off in the middle of the road without warning, however this time I wasn't stopped. This incident, the vehicle was still moving forward and I was approaching a stop sign only to have the vehicle seize and stop dead in its tracks before it even made it to the stop sign. Again, I turned the key and it wouldn't start.

Called the dealer, then Chrysler road-side assistance, and had the vehicle towed to the dealership. This is now my third rental/loaner vehicle from the dealership for the SAME issue. This time, I made is a total of 4,698 miles before it ran out of full synthetic oil this time. Again, the dealership had the vehicle for over a week as they communicated with Chrysler regarding the issue. Now, I am certain that it's not a matter of IF the same issue will arise but WHEN.

The dealership conducted an oil consumption test AGAIN, I paid for ANOTHER oil change, and was still told that the consumption levels are within Chrysler's range of standard performance. Chrysler nor the dealership have come to any type of resolution regarding this matter and now, only 9 months of owning the vehicle and 2 oil changes later, I am still waiting for it to stall again. Nothing has been done to resolve the issue.

Update from Nov 10, 2016: Chrysler did not see an issue with the engine stalls due to, in my opinion, over consumption of oil. The engine was consuming 5L of oil within 4,500 miles, thus causing the engine to cut-off due to low levels of oil. On numerous occasions, I informed them that minimal oil should be consumed and that the major difference should be in the oil's viscosity, not the consumption. It's apparent that something is not functioning appropriately with these particular engines.

I am very fortunate to have an amazing dealership. They consistently fought this case with Chrysler but their hands were tied. Considering that Chrysler would not fix the issue, the dealership decided to step up and upgrade my used 2014 vehicle to a brand new 2016 Jeep Cherokee with additional features. They were VERY gracious and maxed the value of the trade-in (the 2014 Jeep Cherokee) while significantly reducing the sale price of the brand new vehicle and negotiating an almost 0.00% interest rate on the new loan. Now that I have the brand new version of the Jeep Cherokee, I haven't experienced any issues. The dealership has informed me that if any issues do arise, that I will be fully covered by all manufacturer warranties and the lemon law should this happen in the future.

If you purchased your vehicle new, I would encourage you to move forward with the Lemon Law in your state as this is a known issue that has not been resolved.

- e.ohaver, Heathrow, FL, US

Feb 252016

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

This issue has occurred on 2 occasions - exactly 1 week apart. While I'm driving not a far distance from home my jeep begins to slow down while my foot is on the gas, and the monitor prompts me to shift vehicle into park. Once shifted to park, the engine turns off, low battery voltage message appears. Crank attempt 1: hesitates. Crank attempt 2: hesitates with a bit more effort Crank attempt 3 or 4: hesitates and proceeds then proceeds to crank as normal.

Each time, I immediately drove to the dealership. First time, they performed the recall updates and said that should fix it. Second time, they said oil life was a bit low -- changed the oil and said THAT should fix it. This totally doesn't sound normal! Frustrated is an understatement.

- lhubtexas, Cypress, TX, US

Feb 012016

Cherokee

Bought my Jeep brand new, off the lot in late 2014. Now 20,000 in, it has just died on me 4 separate times, in traffic!

All 4 times I've been within 10 blocks of my house, but the car is not completely cold as I typically remote start it given our winter weather.

On each occasion, I'll be decelerating, and the car just dies after a warning comes up that says something like "you can't shift into gear unless you are in park" (or something like that, I'm always too panicked to take note before it disappears).

Had it serviced last Saturday - they couldn't find anything in the scans, and updated all computer software. On Sunday, the same thing happened - this time right around the bend of a very busy intersection. It takes 3-4 minutes to restart the car, and we are extremely lucky that we weren't killed.

I am now afraid to get in my car and always drive around my neighbourhood for 5 minutes before hitting the major streets - this is no way to live, particularly with a NEW car!

Taking it back in for servicing but am not confident they are going to do something about this - what's a girl to do?!?!?

Update from Sep 13, 2017: My vehicle was okay for a few months with frequent oil changes, but just started stalling again 5,000 after my last oil change. When I brought it in today I was initially told that my warranty was expiring in 2 months and I should probably extend it or this ongoing problem would cost me (!!!) but after battling for a bit, I was able to meet with the Service Lead who said that this is a well documented problem and that the issue was that many of the 2014 Cherokee engines have an oil consumption problem.

They are having me come back every 1,000 km's to check the oil level, and once Chrysler is satisfied that the issue is oil consumption they will be replacing my engine (under warranty).

Don't let Chrysler tell you that you have to change your oil every 5,000, fight for a new engine.

- Alison T., Toronto, ON, Canada

Mar 012016

Cherokee Sport 2.4L

It happened twice few days ago, then it happened again this morning. Turned it on driving about 100 ft then it suddenly shut off. Low battery light goes on (just replace the battery last month, checked it and is 94%) and the center tell me to shift it to P and desired a gear. Turned it off, turn it on again, again, again and again. NOTHING HAPPENS!!! Waited for 3 or 5 min, turned it on and car runs normal. After going back to my home for verification IT SHUT OFF AGAIN, waited for few min. Turned it on, got back to my house turned it off and turned it on again, ENGINE LIGHT POP UP. Then everything is normal, just the engine light on.

Took it to AutoZone checked the code and it said U1504 Implausible Message Data Length Received from Steering Angle Sensor. It happened few months ago when I took it to the Dealer Alberic Chrysler Dodge Jeep at Kennedy Ave in San Juan, PR. They checked it and told me that everything is ok and normal, couldn't find anything that cause the engine Shut Off. I don't know how is the Jeep service in the States, but here they are AWFUL. Going to the dealer again since the transmission is still in warranty.

- yino19, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Jan 212016

Cherokee Limited 4 cyl

I have had my 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited for about 6 mos. I bought it off of a co-worker when it had only 18000 miles on it. In that 6 months I've had nothing but issues. Lately the most concerning issue is that when you are driving down the road it will completely shutoff and the dash will read shift into park before shifting to desired gear. This has happened 5 times now and the first time was the most significant. The car shutoff, the steering and brakes locked up and it wouldn't restart until the 3rd time I tried. After it finally restarted at first it would not accelerate it wouldn't do anything. After about the fifth time of accelerating onto the gas pedal the car jerked and took off like a bat out of hell. Since that time it has shut off 4 other times luckily I have been on a back road where there isn't much traffic and I can get it restarted in a timely manner, but each time it happens I'm more afraid I'm not going to be so lucky if it does it again.

I have taken it to the Chrysler dealership from where the first owner purchased it and they say that it hasn't thrown any codes and they cannot replicate the problem. So currently I am driving a death trap waiting to happen. Looking to trade it in on something more reliable soon, but really wish it was a more dependable vehicle for the price I paid.

- heatherq, Burnsville, NC, US

Aug 112015

Cherokee Latitude

2014 Jeep Latitude

Has been at the dealers for service 3x in the past 4 months for the same problem. The car shuts off while i am driving. The first time, the dealer said that it was a loose wire, the second time the dealer said that it was a software issue. The third time they said that the car will shut off if the oil gets below 50%. no lights came on during any of these situations. Dealer blames manufacturer. manufacturer cannot/will not help. Have had three cases open. Dealer agrees that Jeep should buy the car back. Service tech is no longer able to speak with me about the issue.

- Alison B., Los Gatos, CA, US

Sep 012014

Cherokee LX

I bought my 2014 Jeep around June, brand new. Within the first month it wasn't shifting correctly(sounded like someone who didn't know how to shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd or 4th gear.....leaving it in 2nd when should be in 4th). The vehicle shut down on me three times merging onto interstates. This vehicle is a death trap.

After the third time the vehicle shut down on me the dealer did replace the engine. Now the engine light goes on randomly, you can't get an appointment for at lease seven days out. Even with a new engine it still sounds and feels like a beginner is shifting the vehicle. It is the worst car I have ever had.

- trishpa, Monroeville, PA, US