2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems: engine stalls/shuts down while driving

Engine Stalls/Shuts Down While Driving

2014 Jeep Cherokee (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

8.3

2. replaced parts (3 reports)
  3. recall s55/nhtsa 16v-529 transaxle wiring harness (2 reports)
  4. replace engine (2 reports)
  5. replace transmission (2 reports)
  6. fuel related systems changed out! (1 reports)
2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 232017

Cherokee Latitude

Was driving to my family's house on Thanksgiving, and all of a sudden my car told me that it needed to be in drive and completely stopped in the middle of the road. My husband and son was able to push it into a parking lot close by, but it would not turnover. My husband tested the battery & it was completely dead. This battery was less than one year old as the first battery had to be replaced when the car was barely a year old. Husband replaced battery & tried to drive home, but about 200 yards from where it broke down the first time it broke down again, so we had it towed to the dealer. Dealer fixed 6 recall items (that's SIX), but said there was nothing wrong with the car. We took it home and seemed to drive ok, but still was not feeling right...so next complaint, it died enroute again today...more to come in next complaint.

- , St. Charles, US

Nov 302017

Cherokee Latitude

Complaint #2 one week later. Left for work but forgot to check on something at home, so turned around and made it to the driveway, and car again told me it needed to be in drive, which it was, but it died halfway up the driveway. Tried to take tot he dealer but they wouldn't see us, even though this was the 2nd time in a week it died while enroute. Trying to find another dealer. Don't recommend buying a car from this dealer!

- , St. Charles, US

Apr 122017

Cherokee

The car died one day we had it towed to jeep and we were told that the oil was low and causes the car to not start. the oil change was about two months old at that time and shouldn't have been low enough to shut the car down. So we had the oil changed and it ran ok it has happen at least two more times since then.

- , Point Pleasant, US

Jul 272017

Cherokee Limited 3.2L

Purchased used with 36,000 mi. On 20th day of ownership, experienced the feeling of being hit from behind while approaching driveway at low speed. That evening felt same "rear-ended" feeling while sitting still in drive-thru. The car lurched forward so suddenly that had I not had my foot firmly on the brake, we would have hit vehicle in front of us. Simultaneous to "lurch" forward, the car died like the feeling of "popping clutch on manual transmission". Drove home and engine died again at about 5 mph after right turn. Restarted & continued onto street and into driveway. Next morning on my way to work, it felt like it wanted to die and was struggling with gears. I pulled into my parking place and my boss happened to be standing there next to his car. As he stood next to the car while I was in it, it lurched forward again and died. Needless to say he was startled, and again, had I not had my foot firmly on the brake, I could have hit him as well as the brick wall in front of the car. So I started the car again and it died again while in "P". Not cool, headed to service department. I started it AGAIN, and as I started to pull out of the driveway onto a very busy street, the car hesitated (what seemed like a couple of seconds) before it would cross the 2 lanes of oncoming traffic going 40-50 mph. Um, yeah. Scary. A mile or so down the road, it decided to shut down again, this time in the middle of a 3-lane road going about 30 mph and I was almost rear-ended! I restarted and proceeded to service department - no diagnosis there after them keeping the car for 4 days. They sent to Jeep dealer, where it still sits today, waiting for it to act-up and get a diagnosis so it can be "fixed". Jeep has had it 15 days and still no answers.

I had the car 20 days, and the dealer(s) have had it a total of 18. This car is a tragedy waiting to happen....

Update from Nov 14, 2017: UPDATE!!!: Jeep dealer kept car several more days, and I gave permission for tech to PLEASE drive it home every day, knowing sooner or later it would act up. SURE ENOUGH...when the tech finally had to stop for gas after a few days, IT DID IT!!! Stalled while driving!!! So this triggered a memory for the tech that they had worked on a Jeep sometime back and found that it may have been fuel pump, valve, intake related. Upon hearing this, I recalled that the day mine started acting up, it was immediately after I filled it up! So Jeep changed out the fuel intake, valve, tank, etc. as well as something fuel-related under the hood (can't recall without paperwork in front of me). GUESS WHAT?!?! If I'm careful not to fill the gas tank all the way up - just short of "FULL", it doesn't act up! BUT, if I accidentally fill the tank all the way, it "sputters" at stops as if it wants to die until the first couple gallons is burned off...Loooonnnggg story short, it's been great since mid-August, since having several fuel-related parts replaced, and as long as the fuel tank is not filled completely full. Good luck everyone, and stay safe.

- , Arlington, US

Aug 022017

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

Car stalled in middle of intersection. Thought it was battery or alternator, but confirmed both ok. Towed into dealership and they confirmed the car stalled due to low oil level. I have never had an oil sensor light come on since driving the car. The dealer had to add 3 quarts of oil, and says Chrysler is recommending to bring back after another 1,000 miles to verify consumption. Car had about 5,000 miles since last oil change. Dealer says if problem they know what to do! I asked if this was common issue and they denied this, but then said engine would have to be worked on if consuming too much oil. Wondering if this is common problem with this engine and real concern for loss of power during operation!

Update from Dec 2, 2017: Took car in for 1st and 2nd oil consumption tests after driving 1,000 miles each. In both cases the engine had consumed too much oil prematurely. First test it was down just over 1 quart, and the second test it was down 2.5 quarts. Dealership contacted Chrysler who now wants me to bring car back AGAIN to perform additional tests and try and determine why the engine is consuming too much oil. Dealership says they will need the car for several days and is to provide free loaner. Mechanic says possibly they will need to repair engine or replace? I will drop car off in a couple of weeks for this new inspection. Will update again after this is completed.

- , Cumming, US

Jun 132017

Cherokee Latitude

I began having issues with my vehicle stalling and receiving a message saying must apply brake when shifting gears and it was lose power. This occurred while turning onto a side road, thankfully there was not much traffic. It then occurred 2nd time while driving on a state highway. I was using cruise control and it sped up, then slowed down and as I was going down hill lost power again. I was able to coast onto a side road without being hit.

I took it in to the dealership told them what had occurred and told them I had a recall warning of these problems. they did not replace the part FCA recommended, they reset the transaxle unit. The next day not having driven it 1 mile from home I had the same problem. The dealership told me to bring it in and they would do a diagnostic on it. They did this on 6/21/2017, said they didn't see a problem but a tech had driven it and experienced the same problem. He then checked the oil and said it was 3.5 quarts low and told me due to my being "negligent" there was a $95.00 charge.

I drove the car home and it sat in the garage for 4 days. There was no sign of oil leaks but as I drove it approximately 4 miles, the check engine light came on. I checked the oil and it was barely showing on the dipstick. I added a quart just to get it up to the add mark. It is scheduled for an oil change tomorrow morning.

- , Eaton, US

Jan 062017

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

While driving, the vehicle shut down and I received the message on the message center that said "car must be in park in order to shift." The vehicle started again after about 30 minutes and numerous attempts. Fortunately, I was only a couple of blocks from home and returned there.

The following day, I took the car to the dealer who initially thought the problem was related to a trans axle wire harness recall. Ended up being told that they found no oil in the motor, they did an oil change and I should begin an oil consumption test. I should note, I had gone almost 6,000 miles since my last oil change when this occurred and received the "Oil Change Required" message on the message center for the first time that very morning. The dealer told me this is a known problem with this model year and engine.

I asked why I didn't get some type of warning light. Was told that this model does not have a low oil indicator light. I said OK, but it does have an oil pressure light and a check engine light, why wouldn't one of those come on? They had no answer. I started monitoring the oil myself every 250 miles. After I drove 1000 miles, the oil was at the same full level as it was when the oil change occurred. I went back to the dealer and they came to the same conclusion. I was told to come back again in 1000 miles.

I was monitoring the situation for the next 1000 miles and, as of the the day before I took the car in, the oil level dropped about half way down the "full zone". The dealer told me the oil was exactly the same as before and there is nothing wrong with the car. They told me that I should change my oil every 3-4k miles to be safe. This car has synthetic oil and according to the owners manual, I should be able to go until I receive the "Oil Change Required" message which can happen anywhere from 3500-10,000 miles depending on my driving habits. I'm floored! I am fortunate the car stalled while I was driving at a relatively low rate of speed.

I feel like I have no faith in this car. After researching, this is a common problem in this year's model that Jeep is aware of and it sounds like the only solution to the problem is to replace the engine. Clearly Chrysler does not want to own the problem and resolve the problem for it's customers. I feel a problem like this could prove deadly if you are driving at high rates of speed on the highway. This is unacceptable.

- , Glendale Heights, US

Jan 032017

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L 4 cyl

Love my Cherokee for ride handling, but having lots of niggling issues. Had a transmission that became unknown to the car Had to have it towed to get it reprogrammed. Biggest issue this morning car kept stalling. Called the dealer and he asked me if my oil was full. I still had 20% left on my oil life indicator, and could not believe that would be an issue. Checked and the dipstick was DRY. It appears that many people are being told that 1 qt every 1000 miles is normal. That is absolutely ludicrous. I have to carry oil with me to make sure the car sensors don't shut my engine because it uses so much oil? I have 27000 miles on it, and this is the first time it did this. This should be recalled and repaired. Won't EVER buy a Jeep again.

- , Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jan 192017

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

click to see larger images

engine stalls/shuts down while driving

(I purchased my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude used from a Ford dealership in my area in July 2016)

As I was leaving my neighborhood, fixing to enter a very busy intersection, my Jeep's engine decides to completely shut off. The power still worked (Radio, lights, Bluetooth, etc). An error message pops up stating "Shift to P then desired gear" with the battery light on in the bottom left corner. I shifted my vehicle from Drive to Park then tried to return it to Drive. My engine was completely shut off. I put it in park, turned the key to off. Waited a minute or two and tried to crank it again... it sounded like it was trying to turnover and then like a dishwasher draining the water out of it (yes, I know it sounds crazy but that's kinda what it sounded like). I attempted the same for another few minutes and finally got so pissed off I just left my vehicle completely off for 5 minutes or so. FINALLY after sitting I tried to crank it again. It took forever to turn over but it did. The battery meter read the normal charge when I checked it.

I called Jeep to discuss having it checked out and they stated there would be a $130 diagnostic fee. Even though I still have the 100,000 or 5 year warranty on my Jeep. After I explained to the tech I purchased my Jeep used at another dealership. I explained to the tech that the Jeep had a complication prior to me purchasing it in July 2016 that I wasn't aware of until after I had purchased it. Once he heard that, he stated I needed to take my Jeep back to the FORD dealership where I purchased it used from and have them inspect it.... I called the Ford dealership and since I didn't purchase the extended warranty from them, they could look it over for a $140 diagnostic fee. But, the tech said they're limited on what they can do since it isn't a Ford vehicle. Why would Jeep ask me to take it back to a Ford dealership with me having such a safety hazard????

Needless to say, I am very frustrated with my vehicle and Jeep's customer service at my local dealership. I also don't feel safe driving it now. Now the thought of "Oh no, is my car going to crank or is it going to shut down on me while I'm driving down the road" is in the back of my mind....

Update from Feb 4, 2017: Jeep has had my Cherokee for two weeks. I received a call today stating there is a sensor in the engine that will cause it to shut off when the oil is either too low or needs to be changed. I asked if there was something that can be done to keep it from happening and the tech only said to change my oil every 3,000-5,000 miles instead of the 8,000-10,000 miles that the synthetic oil recommends. The tech also recommended I keep a constant check on my oil to make sure the engine isn't losing oil quickly. He said there is an oil test they can do to see if there is any oil leaks in the engine but, it's at my expense.

Basically, it doesn't seem like there is a fix. I just have to pay $80 for an oil change every 3 months or so. As well as, making sure my oil level doesn't get too low between oil changes. I now owe my local dealership $55 for the "30 minute diagnostic fee" and the $80 oil change.

Update from Jun 5, 2017: Update!!

I was told to carry an extra quart of oil with me at all times, to change my oil every 4,000-6,000 miles, and to check my oil often. That the engine will shut down while I am driving if the motor is low on oil/it needs an oil change. I had to put 4 quarts of oil in my Cherokee in a 5,000 mile period. Which is crazy. I called Jeep every time I had to put a quart of oil in my car! They done an Oil Consumption test after driving 2,000 miles.

After doing the consumption test and my continuous calls about putting oil into the Jeep, they had me bring my Cherokee in for them to take pictures of everything. Apparently they don't know why my engine is burning so much oil.

Finally, after 4 months with this issue, Chrysler decided to replace my motor! I get a new one installed on Wednesday. The only thing I am uncertain about is the warranty on the new motor (will it have a longer warranty or will the warranty run out with my original 100,000 power train warranty).

Lets just hope this new motor fixes the issue. If it doesn't, I will be getting rid of my Cherokee.

- , GASTONIA, NC, USA

Dec 212016

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

On Dec. 21 during rush hour my 2014 Jeep Cherokee engine just stalled with the monitor saying something like “Vehicle needs to be in park to shift gear”. Lucky enough was going only 5mph. Stopped the vehicle put it in Park and was able to start the engine again. Five minutes later same thing happened again going between 10-15mph. Then again 3 mins later. Found a safe place to park and left the vehicle. The next day took the vehicle to the nearby Jeep dealership. Explained the problem which they were already very familiar with. They said to leave the vehicle and will excess the problem with the engine and oil given that this just happened. The next day dealership called and had approval from Chrysler to replace the engine. One week later a new engine has been installed.

The stalling is a death trap especially with any driving with speed. The problem is a Jeep dealership and Chrysler will not do anything until the stalling occurs. This is a serious accident waiting to happen.

Update from Dec 21, 2017: Dec 20 2017 New engine was installed on Dec. 29, 2016 after problems with previous 2.4l engine at 31,520 mileage. Problem shown as high flow vacuum leak. Vehicle was low on oil causing engine to shut down. At the time of engine shut downs was 3 quarts low on oil. Determined cylinder wall damage on number 1 and 4 cylinders causing oil to burn. Based on this engine was replaced. With new engine had oil changes on 4/17/17, 6/30/17 and 8/26/17 at 43,026 mileage. On Nov. 4, 2017 driving on a neighborhood road the replaced engine shut down with all the same previous problems. Mileage was at 3,489 from the last oil change. Took 15 minutes before the vehicle would start again. Took straight to the nearest Jeep dealership. Diagnostic test indicated low oil pressure sensor shut down the engine without any warning due to low oil. Was 3 quarts low on oil which basically lost 1 quart of oil per 1,200 miles. Total engine miles when shut down 14,995 and only 11 months old.
Suggested check oil every 1,000 miles and have an oil consumption done. On 12/11/17 oil consumption test was done with no irregularites and oil level was normal. Took on oil level measurement on 12/19/17 when cold and on a flat surface and the level was below the add line and has already lost at least a quart of oil and appears to be continuously loosing oil. Will monitor oil levels and go back again for Oil Consumption Test at 2,000 miles. What a pain!

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

Dec 302016

Cherokee Sport V4

Have had this car since aug of 2014, a little over a year ago it just started stalling. The issue is random and after taking it 6 times they can not reproduce the issue. At first they said it was because the oil was low. Which means that the car is burning oil. They just keep giving it back to me. Just this past Friday it stalled on me in the middle of doing a left hand turn. I almost got rear ended then almost T-boned. Of course people out there on the road expect you to get out of the way regardless. This car is very dangerous and terrifying to drive. I now have a case with a lemon law attorney and advise anyone who is having this issue to find one.

- , Royal Oak, MI, USA

Jul 042016

Cherokee Latitude

My car stalls randomly (approximately every 1000 miles) while I'm driving. There is NO warning. This last time the car stopped when I was traveling 70 miles per hour on HWY 5 - just died right in the lane!! It has also stalled at busy intersections, on on ramps, huge hills etc. I finally - after 10 visits to the jeep repair shop - understand from the dealership that the car needs a new engine to fix the problem. BUT they say this is acceptable under jeep guidelines and won't pay for the new engine... I've put over 20 quarts of expensive synthetic oil in my car over the past year and never know if the car will be safe to drive. This is the WORST car I've ever had and I'm disgusted with Jeep.

By the way - I just found out it needs a fifth recall - part still in development (as always). When I asked the woman who told me of this new development, she couldn't explain what the risk is while we wait for the new part. In 2 1/2 years of owning this piece of crap car, I've had five recalls and over a dozen stalls... I'm so angry and bummed.

- , Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Jul 042016

- , Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Nov 032016

Cherokee Limited

On my way to work, driving down the road and battery light comes on and error on screen says something like "car must be in park in order to shift" (not exactly sure of the wording) I managed to pull over before it died (good thing I commute at 5AM when most cars aren't on the road yet) The radio/dash all worked, and the only thing illuminated was the battery icon. Waited for about 15 mins before calling AAA to see if it would start up again but no luck. Called AAA waited 20 minutes and it started up fine when they got there.

- , West Warwick, RI, USA

Nov 052016

Cherokee Limited

Drove fine for almost 2 full days then I am on my way home from work about to get on the highway at a busy time and the error message (car must be in park to shift) comes on and so does the battery symbol, car loses power and I am now stuck in the middle of a busy road. Radio and everything still worked. Tried to wait it out since the car started up fine for the AAA guy the last time. Tried a couple times to start it up and no luck. Waited for the AAA guy to come and tow me yet again.

- , West Warwick, RI, USA

Nov 092016

Cherokee 3.2L

A week ago my Cherokee stalled at a stop sign. I turned it off (like an iPhone) and it hesitated but did start up and was Ok until yesterday when it stalled in the morning 3x before I left my development. I drove to the regular automotive guy I use who ran a quick battery diagnostic and said it was fine, keep driving to the dealership. I had recently received the official recall about Jeeps stalling while driving and wasn't sure if this fell into the same category. When I got there and they triaged I explained the problem and their rep said it sounded like my oil was low which I already knew, last oil change three months ago in August. He explained that these Jeeps burn a quart of the synthetic oil every 2000 miles, and when they get low they "turn themselves off to prevent damage." The oil light never went on. I replied that this was a dangerous feature and one I've never heard of. I've since looked in the manual and can't find this same info but intend to research it more.

Has anyone else been given this ridiculous excuse for this problem??? This car is 1 1/2 years old!! I can't believe any car manufacturer would purposefully include such a dangerous feature.

- , Miller Place, NY, USA

Aug 152016

Cherokee

I will not start from the beginning (which was 2/2014, date of purchase for vehicle), but a service tech at the Jeep dealership where I service my car finally informed me my engine needed replacement. OKAAAAY , over 2 years later and many, many, many visits to dealer AND transmission replace last year. NOW new engine, WOW FCA, you guys really really put a lemon out for the 2014 Jeep Cherokee. No recalls yet, even after one Grand Cherokee runs over a person (the incident that was all over the news) . FCA should at least recall the 2014's!!! New engine is such a big big big issue here ... and now the car jerks when put in reverse. My repair sheets are so stacked even the dealership service guy was amazed!!!!

I have told everyone I could DO NOT BUY A JEEP ... so far at least 5 people I know bought other vehicles.

Bad job FCA !! BAD JOB !!!

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

Oct 272016

Cherokee LX 2.4L V4

Went to Auto Zone for a free check and they found the problem but unable to give me parts because the Chrysler dealership has a control over parts. I headed to the dealership and to start need to pay over $100 for the same check up done free of charge. I'm not very happy with the Chrysler and specially with the RAM COUNTRY Dealership in Del Rio, TX because knowing the problem they keep selling them.

- , Del Rio, TX, USA

Sep 242016

Cherokee LX 2.4L V4

When a car stops running in the middle of traffic it's very scarey and dangerus. You pay 18K for a good service car.

- , Del Rio, TX, USA

Sep 012016

Cherokee Sport 2.4L

I have the same problem as Engine complaint #161.

While driving about 50 mph on winding hilly country road, the vehicle suddenly jerked and all the dashboard lights lit up. The car completely shut down. This shutdown lasted for only 2-3 seconds and then restarted as if nothing ever happened. It was not necessary for the driver to do anything. There was no need to restart the vehicle it restarted on its own as the key remained in the ignition and we did not touch it. IS NOT SAFE!!! My wife almost got in a car accident because car completely was shut off on the road where speed limit is 80km. We went into dealership at the same date and they just restarted the computer. That solution wasn't helpful because this problem came back again yesterday.

If we need to risk our life in that car?I don't think so.

I will go to dealership again to fix that problem but if that engine problem will happen again all newspaper and television will know about that.I repeat it is NOT safe!!!

- , Winnipeg, MB, Canada