CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee fuel system problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Jul 172021

Cherokee 4-cyl

2014 Cherokee Limited with a 2.4L I am the original owner, and have had all services done. Car is in good shape. This is now a persistent problem each time I refuel. Within a few minutes or miles, the car engine will stall, tell me that I have to put the car in Park to restart. This is extremely dangerous and has happened to me in the middle of intersections or driving down a street. I fill the tank, I don't overfill it. When the pump clicks off, I am done and don't add more. Then I drive off and for about 5-10 minutes, I am at risk of the car stalling. I have had it happen while driving, and more often when I stop at a light. It will restart. But this happens ONLY after I refill the tank.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Mar 012021

Cherokee

3/1/2021: Rough idle and overheating after filling up gas tank that morning upon arriving at work. Jeep had problems when leaving work at roughly 1630. Idles poorly, very rough and dipped from 900 rpm down to 200 rpm while almost stalling. I decided to drive home and thought it may be a little water in the gas from filling up that morning on MacDill. Ran rough on the way out of MacDill. At the home depot traffic light, the transmission would not engage and I had to switch to park and back into drive. Once onto Gandy Blvd the temperature started to overheat. I turned on the heater to act as a second radiator and decided to shoot for Jeep dealer in St. Pete. I made it there and caught a ride home with Wife's sister. Dealer drove Jeep on Tuesday a total of 23 miles without any temperature above 202. Told that lot boy and service supervisor drove it. No charge since St. Pete Jeep couldn't find any faults. I had Wife take me to pick it up. On ride home got up to 207. No rough idle. ***Rough idle and stalling while driving in traffic continued. Noticed this always occurred after filling gas tank up to full*** Jun 29, 2021: Got gas again at MacDill Monday morning upon arrival at work. Monday afternoon car ran terrible. Remote start stalled before I got to Jeep. Started up again when I got to car and engine ran rough. Nearly stalled several times. Engine almost stalled at final left turn while heading to gate. Transmission indicator flashed again and transmission failed to work. Display showed to place in park to select drive. Had to coast up onto median to keep from blocking traffic when engine started to stall again when light turned green and I proceeded through light. Occasionally Ran rough all the way home for the 43 miles and 1 hour drive. This time there was no significant overheating. Just went up to low 200s. Decided to submit a NHTSA complaint since dealership said they wouldn't be able to find anything wrong if no check engine light came on. Dangerous

- Ellenton, FL, USA

Jun 142021

Cherokee

Had just filled gas tank (1st time since we purchased the vehicle on 6/9/21). Stopped at traffic light. Engine quit and dashboard message advised to put car in park and push start button. Car started but quit almost immediately. While in park tried to rev engine, but got minimal response. When traffic light changed, proceeded forward. "Transmission Service Needed" message appeared, and D (Drive) on gearshift and on dashboard started blinking. Check Engine light was, (and remains) on. Car quit 3rd time, same "Transmission Service Needed" message appeared. When I got home, put car in reverse to back into driveway, got aloud clunking sound. Shut off engine and kept it off for 30-40 minutes. Started the car again and took it around the block, but none of the previous issues repeated.

- Newland, NC, USA

Jun 112021

Every time I fill my vehicle up it stalls 3 or 4 times In the middle of traffic

- Scranton, PA, USA

Apr 292021

Cherokee

Filled up gas tank and while driving vehicle kept trying to stall.

- New Kensington, PA, USA

Aug 012020

Cherokee

After hitting 50K miles on my vehicle I noticed following fueling it will begin to shudder and RPM's will go out of wack. Then RPM drops and car will give notice "shift to P then desired gear" message. Other lights will lite up and battery lite stays lit when this message is given. (I have a new battery so it can not be due to a bad one.) the car will then stall and stop. This has happened both when stopped at intersections and while in motion and driving especially at lower speeds. Is a hazard as happens quickly and no warning so can not pull over. Have to put car in park and restart. This will continue to happen until tank is down to about 3/4 full. I do not over fill the tank. Had taken to dealership and they said they could not detect any problems. No messages were given to them during the check. This is very frustrating and a hazard on the road when you have cars behind you that have to stop suddenly. I am afraid to drive my car after filling up with gas for fear it will stop in the middle of the road and I will be injured in a rear end collision if car behind me is not paying attention. This has been happening for many months now. Every time I fill my vehicle up with gas and I do not overfill. I stop at the first "click" when pumping. It appears that there are several similar complaints on your website with the exact same problem. This should make for an easy recall to repair this problem before it becomes more serious than it is right now with someone really getting injured or worse! I should not have to be fearful of my own vehicle.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Mar 292021

Cherokee

The ptu case is faulty leaving my 4WD unavailable.

- Tewksbury, MA, USA

Mar 172021

Cherokee

I was driving and stopped at traffic light and notification popped up saying "shift gear to park (P) and to desired gear". after performing that and when I went back to D all power went away and car started rolling backwards (there was a little slope). So I went to park again and tried it once more, power came for 3 seconds and went out again.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 062020

Cherokee

Check engine light gave a code P0520 so an oil pressure switch was installed and a front crank seal so that was replaced at vehicle mileage 51,722. 2014 trailhawk still leaking oil so oil pan gasket repaired. Still leaking oil so different mechanic ordered an oil filter housin component to fix. He said many oil filter housings in Jeep Cherokee have had these replaced!! smelled oil while driving and saw oil drops on garage floor. These oil filter housings should be recalled and I should be reimbursed. I've spent over $1500 to fix an oil leak because mechanics misdiagnosed. Dealership mechanics should be aware of these inferior parts!

- Sedona, AZ, USA

Jan 122021

Cherokee

Car stalls after refueling to full capacity. Shuttered and stalled 3 times after refueling tank. The car gives off multiple warning lights ranging from transmission to battery, despite the transmission and battery being perfectly fine. Once the car begins to stall, the steering locks up and all power is lost. The car must be put in park and restarted, sometimes it struggles to restart

- Manassas Park, VA, USA

Feb 012021

Cherokee

Vehicle was taken into shop for a repair. I was informed by the shop the gas tank is leaking into the engine and causing the poor performance.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 282021

Cherokee

When refueling, the gas pump shuts off after.2 to.3 gallons repeatedly.

- Kings Park, NY, USA

Jan 202021

Cherokee

Upon fueling the vehicle, the vehicle operates as it is intended to for a brief moment, until idling on the roads. The vehicle will suddenly drop in rpms, and if it gets far enough, the vehicle stalls, directs me to shift to park, and press the start button. In some cases, the vehicle will start right back up, but with some trouble, or not at all. Vehicle becomes a metallic vegetable and starts emitting a rich smell of petrol. This issue does not occur when constantly driving at higher speeds or after the vehicle has driven 50 miles after fueling.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jan 012021

Cherokee

After filling up the gas tank, vehicle will buck and stall while driving causing a significant hazard to the occupants. This occurs every time we fill up the tank. We stop filling after the first click so we do not over fill the vehicle. After reading, this appears to be a common issue.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 182020

Cherokee

In October of 2020 while driving on the highway my Jeep shut off and lost all motive and electric power. The steering wheel locked up and the brakes applied themselves. My wife was driving, doing about 40-45mph. A message came up that said put vehicle in park and turn off. After doing so my wife was able to turn the vehicle back on and get home safely. We took our Jeep into to be looked at by the dealership. They said they found a code for low voltage but the battery was good, just loose connections.. no other codes were present. They also stated that they found loose grohnd cables to the chassis and PCM, both were tightened. On 11/18/2020 after filling my gas tank, I turned on to the frontage road and my jee again lost all power. Gave me a message that vehicle must be stopped before shifting gears.

- Saginaw, TX, USA

Aug 082020

Cherokee

On several occasions numbering an excessive amounts my 2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude 9-speed transmission has exhibited the hard shifting sluggish shifting and jerking since I've owned the vehicle. Beginning in August of 2020 I noticed on multiple occasions that when I went to pull out from a complete stop my vehicle would not go and would drop into neutral suddenly and I would have to return the vehicle to park and back to drive to get it to move and has caused me to almost be in a vehicular accident on two multiple occasions on the same day and I am concerned for my safety in this vehicle. I have researched and seen that there are numerous recalls for this model and make but mine Jeep is not included but it exhibits the same problems and it has the same make and model that numerous recalls were issued for.

- Tazewell, TN, USA

Oct 292020

Cherokee

After filling up my car everytime it shuts off in the middle of the road and switches to neutral. RPM shoots up randomly and shuts off

- Stockton, GA, USA

Sep 232020

Cherokee

Attempting to fill gas tank at gas station. Gas tank at about 1/4 full. Gas pump repeatedly shuts off while filling about every 0.1 gallon. It takes 10-15 minutes to fill the tank. This first happened January 2020 but problem went away after several fill ups. I have the problem again in September 2020. Still happening. I live in northwest Ohio.

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Sep 212020

Cherokee

Car bucks and stalls after filling up with gas. Four times to the dealer and they cannot figure out what is wrong with it. Finally, driving car stalled in traffic. Made it to the dealer. They were able to finally see the problem as no codes were going off before. Car was in motion and stalled. Restarted, then stalled at the red light. So it stalled while moving and stationary.

- Gwynn Oak, MD, USA

Aug 272020

Cherokee

I need to put oil in my car at least two times in between oil changes. My car has stopped multiple times when I turn because it ran out of oil. The engine burns oil so fast. I don't drive that much. This is expensive and very very dangerous. This car needs to be recalled.

- Medway, MA, USA