2015 Jeep Cherokee engine problems: engine stalls/shuts down while driving

Engine Stalls/Shuts Down While Driving

2015 Jeep Cherokee (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

9.0

$820

2. send back to factory (2 reports)
  3. replace air handler (1 reports)
  4. replaced the intelligent power distribution unit (1 reports)
2015 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 122020

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6

Driving down the interstate and the car just shuts off. Only warning was a the Auto Start/Stop warning light (yellow circle around an A) on the instrument panel. Was able to coast to the side of the road with no power steering or power brakes. Before coming to a complete stop the car started up again on its own. Decided to turn around and head back home to get another car so I went up to the next exit and turned around. It was about 5 miles. I didn't get 1 mile from that exit when the car died again. Same warning light. This time however, it did not start back up again. I called Roadside assistance and had the car towed to the dealer. They of course could not read any DTC's so they decided that the PowerTrain Control Unit was bad so they replaced it at the tune of $500. We picked the car up and drove it about 15 miles and the car died again pulling into a parking space at the grocery store. We decided to take it straight back to the dealer right then. It died while driving back to the dealer once but came back on as before but the warning light stayed on this time.

When we pulled in the tech came out and saw the light and said he'd look at it. We left it there 3 weeks. They drove it several times, actually putting about 50 miles on the car and could not duplicate the issue. So, I picked it up and brought it home. I needed to stop at the parts store on the way home for something and my wife waited in the car. It died in the parking lot of the parts store but I was able to start it back up. I bought a scan tool so I could capture any DTC's that it might throw and could help me troubleshoot this issue. I took the car out today. Ran fine until I pulled into my driveway. About 30 seconds after stopping the car just died again. This time it will not restart. Only code it had was P0688 (Auto Shutdown Relay Control Circuit open). I've ordered a new Intelligent Power Distribution Unit and it should be here in a week or so. Hopefully Chrysler FCA will see all the complaints on this forum and other sites and do the right thing.

This is a dangerous situation and has been reported many many times since 2014. I can't believe they haven't been sued yet and I for one would join any class action against them for this issue. I plan on fixing the car myself and then trading it in. Luckily I only owe just a little but I sure was looking forward to no car payments in the near future. Last Chrysler we had (Sebring) started having transmission issues just before paying it off as well. Thats why we got the Jeep. Very frustrating and DANGEROUS!!

Update from Aug 31, 2020: I changed the power distribution unit with a new one (OEM Mopar part number 68235118AD). I've driven about 200 miles and it seems to have fixed this issue. When ordering the part I noticed that the replacement part had been updated 3 times as the replacement part number kept changing so they know there was something wrong!! The actual replacing of the PDU couldn't have been easier. Disconnect the negative battery terminal, take the cover off, remove 4 power cables on the left side, Unplug a small connector at the top, loosen 3 screw that hold the connectors on the bottom (push the screw down to "unplug" the bulkhead connectors). Since the replacement came with all the fuses and relays already installed there's no need to swap anything out. Reverse the process above to install the new one. I really hope this helps someone else as this is a very scary thing to happen. I'm not sure I totally trust the car yet but I think I'll hang onto it until I at least get it paid off. If you have a Cherokee with a factory installed tow package the part number is different so pay attention when ordering.

- William W., Toney, US

May 292020

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

So this started on Memorial Day weekend, my Jeep did not want to turn on after I came home from work in the afternoon. I called the dealership and they told me that I may be the batter. So I took it off and got it tested and it was fine. I put it back and clean it a bit and started working. Then the later in the week my car will not turn on in the morning before I went to work so I got it tow to the dealership and was told the battery needed replacement. I went out of my way to buy one and get it to them, walking may I add. Worked fine and was able to drive it for about 3 days and then in the afternoon I went to get food and it turn off while I was driving. Got it towed and the dealership told me that they didn't know what was wrong with it. They just clean the ground and said it was good to go. So I again drove it for about 3 days again and it turn off while I was driving again. Took it to the dealership (this is the 3rd time) and they still don't know what's wrong. I am so fed up with JEEP and this car and the dealership!!! Any help would be much appreciated!

- Martin L., Healdsburg, CA, US

Nov 192019

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

click to see larger images

engine stalls/shuts down while driving engine stalls/shuts down while driving

This has happened more times than I can count. It typically happens on the first start of the day. The car will run and then start running really rough for no reason and usually stalls out. Today it ran fine and stalled out a mile down the road. I attached some P Codes to the complaint as well as they consistently come up with the issue. I've changed the spark plugs, the 2nd cylinder coil ignition start pack as that was one of the issues from the P Codes. This is very dangerous and needs to be addressed. I'm taking this into a Jeep dealer on 11/22. If anyone else has the issue please let me know so I can find a solution.

- Stephen H., Noblesville, IN, US

May 012019

Cherokee Limited 3.2L

Hello everyone..My wife's Cherokee has been for some time shutting down on her unexpectedly without any check engine lights or any warnings. At our dealer they informed her that the oil level was very low, close to 2 quarts of oil in the engine when it is supposed to maintain 6 quarts. The part that they couldn't answer was why was the truck not alerting us of low oil levels. I normally keep an eye on the mileage and she never goes over 5,000 miles without an oil change. Back in January 2019 she complained to me that the truck shut down on her again, instead of taking the truck to the dealer for her oil change i decided to do it myself. 6 quarts of full synthetic oil, synthetic oil filter, the whole works. She had driven 4,100 miles when the same thing happened again...Car shutting down on the road and very laggy. I checked the oil level and it was the same issue...2 quarts on the reservoir. I will begin to change oil now every 3,000 just to make sure everything is ok but i have never seen anything like this. The truck is not leaking oil at all it is just burning through it as if it was water. Please let me know if anyone else has had this similar issue. Even the dealer has no idea what the issue might be. They recommended more frequent oil changes but of course taking the truck to them for $60 oil changes when i can do it for a fraction of that. At the end of the day I hate the fact that the vehicle does not alert you of this low oil level issue.

- Esteban O., Carol Stream, IL, US

Mar 142019

Cherokee

I'm having the same problem with my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude as everyone else. Driving along, car shuts down. Ignition doesn't want to start it up again. The more I have to restart my engine, the sooner the ignition will go as well. I am NOT HAPPY! Service Manager said it needs oil checked every time I get in the car. Synthetic oil. Very expensive. I'm about to blow my lid....I'll be paying for this car for years and getting stuck or even knowing that this problem exists, it isn't going to fix itself. It's only going to get worse.

HAS ANYONE HAD THEIR CAR FIXED OR ARE WE ALL SINKING IN THE SAME MONEY PIT? I spoke with one service manager and he said the only fix is a new engine. HELP!!!!!

- Katherine C., Clinton, CT, US

Sep 182018

Cherokee

Just adding mine to the list of gripes/voices here so people know NOT to purchase this vehicle. We're so far indebted to it now we cannot even sell it to make up the price we paid. Thanks Carmax! We had two separate problems which are becoming one big problem which is ultimately: the engine shuts itself off while driving.

The first problem happened on day 31, literally the day after the dealership would fix it at no cost. The transmission would shift hard, like a fourteen year old learning to drive stick, and pop us maybe two gears in a single move. Then, it wouldn't go past fourth and the transmission light came on. That's when we took it in. They said "software update" which seems nutty to me but whatever. We paid a fair discount based on the length of time we had the car. The transmission still popped with hard acceleration, but it didn't stick.

Now it's been about five months and this week the car has decided to stop running while in motion. It has happened four times, this happens on turns or while accelerating/decelerating at stops and freeways. 50% of the time the check engine light comes on, only to turn off once back in motion. It's becoming dangerous. The mileage is high, but my last Jeep (a Wrangler) had 170,000 miles and NEVER had issues like this, and it was about 12 years old. This one is 3 years old with 80,000 miles, and I am regretting the purchase even more every day.

- Catie G., Hampton, US

Jul 282018

Cherokee Latitude V4

My 2015 Cherokee has this thing about shutting down when you make a sharp turn to the left. Its been in to the stealership 4 times for this. They say 'oh it's a sensor when the oil is low'. Well what 3 year old car that should be good for 5000 miles runs out of oil after 3000. We check it when we fill up and its fine, The stealership wants to do another oil consumption test for the 3rd time. The test takes 5000 miles and the car only made it 3000 before it shut down this time.

- Michael H., Palm Harbor, FL, US

Jul 062018

Cherokee Latitude 3.4L V6

This is really dangerous. I have had this car for 3 months now and it has been at the dealer 5 times to get fixed. They have updated the system 2 times replaced the shifter and it has been in 2 times for stalling while driving. They say nothing is wrong or they can't find anything wrong. When it stalls the steering don't work hardly and ran off road both times. It was a good thing I was not going fast or I would of wrecked. Now I am scared to drive it on the highway. Jeep really needs to look at this before someone gets killed and they sue Jeep for wrong full death and that would be my wife.

- smithwallace, Barberton, US

Jun 052018

Cherokee

I have had the same exact thing happen to my Jeep. Car runs fine, after about 2 minutes of driving it just shuts off completely. Radio is still on, AC is still on, but Jeep is completely dead. Takes about 10 minutes to finally get it started. I have 47% oil left. Going to try to get an oil change first and see if that fixes it. Really scared to drive this vehicle. I paid a lot for this vehicle and I'd rather walk places. Very unhappy and feel that my life is at risk. Something needs to be done about this. What if I am on the highway and this happens? Jeep needs to find answers soon to this problem before someone gets hurt or dies.

- Paige S., Bay City, MI, US

Aug 282017

Cherokee 82300

I bought this jeep at don franklin in july 2017, it is now February 2018. I have had a total of 7 loaner cars since I bought this car. I bought it used unknowingly that it had engine issues. I was driving down the road on several occasions and the car turned itself off as a "fail safe", however I've been lucky it was slow mornings, if this would've been rush hour, it would've been a "kill safe" as me or my children could've been seriously hurt or killed, so after numerous conversations with don franklin ford the service manager informs me this is "under normal classification from Chrysler warranty" I have never had such issues in my life with a car. this needs looked in to and resolved thru Chrysler.

- Bridgette G., London, US

Sep 272017

Cherokee Latitude

Bought the 2015 Jeep Latitude new 2 years ago. While stopped at a red light on a busy city street waiting to turn left the car shut down completely. There were no warning lights on at all. The stop and start button was already turned off because it is a nuisance in traffic! All of the dash board lights were flashing then all went dark. The car was still in drive with my foot on the brake. A few seconds later, the screen flashed something about the brake before shifting, then goes dark again. Tried to restart it. Nothing happened. Tried to shift it into park and would not go initially, then finally went into park. Tried to start again and still would not start,. There was no sound when the key turned. Panic sets in at this point! It is in Park completely dead. No sound. No lights. No fan. The display screen suddenly flashes again. I try to start it again and it starts. Engine is very sluggish. I get it off the street and call the dealer. They state they have no reports of this happening. It is not in need of oil because the dealer changed the oil 2 weeks ago. I am extremely uncomfortable driving this Jeep now. No idea what the dealer will tell me, they have it in their shop now. My goal is to get rid of it as quickly as possible.

Update from Sep 29, 2017: Dealer could find nothing wrong, no computer error codes active, pending or stored. Issue could not be duplicated. No history of the complaint in STAR either. Hopefully, everything is fine and it was just a fluke. Jeep seems fine today.

- sjollie, Westbrook, US

Oct 272017

Cherokee SRT8 3

This vehicle has been at Umhlanga for 2 weeks have already reported to Head Office in JHB to date no response, what type of service is this not acceptable

- Mercy M., Durban, South Africa

Oct 072017

Cherokee Limited 2.4L I4 Multiair Engine

For the last two weeks, my 2015 Jeep Cherokee has been at an auto body shop to repair damage made from a break in. I have not driven my car since September 22nd. This morning, after finalizing the paperwork with the repair facility and paying a deductible, I was able to finally drive my Jeep again. Pulled out of the body shop's parking lot, drove not even a quarter of a mile and maybe a minute or so into the drive and the dashboard icon of the battery illuminated, the notification sound played, and the car slowed to a stop again. Also, the notification center displayed "shift to park". Luckily this time I stopped at a red light. I shifted into park, placed my hazard lights on, and waved the cars that were behind me to drive around. Made the attempt to restart twice with no such luck. The third attempt saw the car turn back on successfully.

The repair facility that I left is thankfully a few miles away from the dealership in which I lease the Cherokee. I drove immediately to the dealer, placed the car in front of the service department, and walked in to discuss the problem with the service department. After talking with one member of the service department, he stated that he would try to squeeze the Cherokee in for some testing but couldn't guarantee it because there were many cars scheduled for service and only one person available to possibly look at my car.

The car was eventually taken inside the dealership's service department. And it sat in a mechanic's bay for several hours with the hood open but no one looking to address the issue. Finally, after a few hours in the customer waiting area, I was told that the Jeep was low on oil. And also, that the Cherokee along with the Chrysler 200, and another car that I cannot remember at the moment are designed to stall when the amount of oil becomes low. The service department employee said that this was a "European design safety feature" for the car. I kept the Cherokee at the dealership for them to continue to investigate this problem on this upcoming Monday the 10th of October.

From spending a few hours reading articles and watching several videos from different websites, this issue does not appear to be an easy repair and one that will continue and happen multiple times even after attempts to remedy the issue have been made.

- Bryan J., Cleveland, US

Jul 022017

Cherokee Lattitude V6

Driving my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude over the weekend and while driving the vehicle decides to turn off completely and then turn back on. So I took the car over to the dealer the next day to have it looked at, I needed it serviced either way for an oil change. I explained to the service agent what happened and I was told that the reason why that happened is because I have not changed the oil in my vehicle yet. Which I could not believe what I was hearing. I'm thinking to myself 'wow thank God that happened while I was driving on a city street and not on a highway'. If it would have happened while I was on a highway I could get in a serious accident and get hurt or worse, someone else could get hurt. I told the service agent what I was thinking and his response was that its a thing the manufacturer did not think about correctly at the time of vehicle being built. After this happened, when the vehicle turned back on, the check engine light came back on and the cluster showed the start stop needed to be serviced, which is what I received before my transmission needed to be replaced some time ago.

- Ruben P., Miami Gardens, US

Mar 162017

Cherokee Latitude 4

Driving even at about 35 miles/hour and coasting toward a light, everything went out - engine, dash, lights... was lucky to coast into a side street. Everything stayed out. Key out, back in, turn to accessory, nothing. Put the key back in and open the door to make a call after 5 minutes, and the dash came back. Started without issue.

It's my wife's car that I happen to be driving and worried that same issue in a highway situation is extremely dangerous. I see lots of complaints, but no mention of a problem that's been identified, much less a recall. Not happy.

- Ray C., Montauk, NY, US

Jan 062017

Cherokee V6

At at stop light and while the engine attempted to turn back on from the energy save mode, everything went wrong. Engine light came on, start/stop "too hot".. weird service break? it put me in... hard to read all the errors while panicking but the engine seemed to be overheating. Gas pedal was locked, I tried shifting in and out of drive and while I could shift it did nothing. "4WD temporarily unavailable" & ABS light on. Not knowing what else to do I turned off the car and luckily restarted fine, temperatures all ok...

Dealership did a software update covered under warranty but after reading all of these issues I'm sure that will be a temporary fix :(

First & last Jeep

- Kristine G., Boston, MA, US

Dec 182016

Cherokee Latitude V4

Driving down I-75 at night, radio displayed went dark and then the lights went out on the dash, seem like the headlights were flickering, but was not sure as I about sh*t my self when the dash went dark. Happened 6 -7 more times and the check engine light came on. Not sure what code it drop.

- David G., Clinton Twp, MI, US

Jul 072016

Cherokee Latitude N/A

engine shut down while driving four days in a row; took to Jeep Dealership and they kept for a month trying to recreate the problem, but were not able to. They said the made some programming updates and that was it. This vehicle has now been recalled for same issue, only my jeep was built just after recall covered date. Even though same issue, no fix.

- Julie F., Westminster, MD, US

Oct 012015

Cherokee Trail Hawk 3.2L

I really my my Trail Hawk but it does have one major problem. I will shut down all electronics engine will die and then 5 -10 seconds later it starts back up on its own. It seems to do when ever it wants driving at any speed 25 mph to 65 mph. I have starting to documenting every time it shuts down sometime it can go 200 miles without shutting other time it will do it twice in one day. Its been in the dealer 3 times and they never find the problem.

Scott

- scottrca, San Jose, CA, US

Feb 232016

Cherokee Grand V6

We bought this 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee on 12/27/15. In 4 weeks 269 miles, the vehicle was in the shop due to, stalling engine, hard to start...jumping out of gear, hard shifts, vehicle jumping. Suppose fix.

Symptoms returned, I contacted Jeep corporate for help, the dealership was giving me problems. He kept telling me not to take it back till he could talk to them.

Now dash goes black, running lights work when they want. Air conditioner either works, don't work, or blows warm air. The vehicle don't shift. Hard shifts, jumps out of gear.

The stalling and hard to stops very frequent, when vehicle slows in traffic will stall, hesitates to start. When you stop at a stop sign or traffic light, stalls hesitates to start.

on 4/4/16 died at stop sign never started again. Was towed to local dealer. Still there.

This was a very expensive vehicle that was bought for reliability. I am disabled, I cannot be left stranded just as I was. The vehicle is dangerous to drive, sounds like the engine will blow up when it wont shift.

- Rose W., Citrus Heights, CA, US