ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2015 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems: delayed shifting during acceleration

Delayed Shifting During Acceleration

2015 Jeep Cherokee (Page 1 of 4)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

7.6

2. not fixed (15 reports)
  3. replace transmission (2 reports)
  4. software update (1 reports)
2015 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jun 282018

Cherokee Trailhalk 3.2L V6

Transmission has been to the dealer 5 times. Issue is still unresolved. ZF transmission is a piece of sh*t.

- Scott F., Southport, NC, US

Apr 102015

Cherokee Latitude V6

Same all as all the others have said: After a complete stop, the Cherokee with the active drive 2 transmission barely moves and then suddenly shifts down to first gear - the front wheels spin and the passengers/driver are thrown back in their seats. Also, when shifting from reverse to drive there is a delay causing the car not to move and then it slams into drive. If the complete stop lasts for 4 or more seconds, the transmission has shifted into first gear and the Jeep moves out in a normal manner.

In my opinion the computer controlled transmission needs to be reprogrammed or a faster processor. The local dealer says he has had several complaints about this transmission issue in Cherokees 2015-2017, and when the transmission tech talks to Chrysler corporate about it - Chrysler says it is normal. It is an unsafe situation and needs to be fixed by Chrysler. Chrysler tried to tell the tech at one point that it was my driving style, but when the tech and service manager took my Cherokee for a drive, both could duplicate the problem. They also drove two other Cherokees and duplicated the problem on those vehicles as well. Not a driver issue.

Chrysler is too cheap to fix this serious issue. I also had another serious issue that Chrysler refuses to fix - another separate complaint will cover this issue.

- Chris G., Paradise, CA, US

Mar 122018

Cherokee

The dealer did replaced the transmission valve body but still having shifting gears. Sometimes feels like I need push so hard to accelerate the vehicle after stop in traffic. Also when you are in speed and try stop slowly your vehicle feels not slowing down and its scary some of those time.

- Mamata S., Boulder, US

Oct 212017

Cherokee Sport 2.4L

owned 2011 200 V6 6 speed hard,, delayed shifting. No fix from dealer traded car for a 2015 Jeep Cherokee.

Own 2015 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 with infamous 9 speed transmission 62341 miles. , Talked to Chrysler reps a couple of times, visited local Jeep dealer , one fix actually solved problems, problems have returned. Driving on highway slowed due to traffic, car immediately shifted to lower gear max speed less than 20 MPH. Pulled over engine stopped, started drove at low speed pulled over again engine stopped, called dealer tech said to wait 10 minutes then start. Resets computer modules. Drove car home approx. 40 miles back roads at normal speed, until I slowed 20 mph again drove remaining 10 miles a low speed. current fix for engine stop, low speed replaced battery. Was told that Chrysler electronics drain batteries causing shifting problems Recommend change temp setting for faster warm ups, eliminate couple of gears.

- twobitsworth, New Braunfels, US

Apr 012015

Cherokee Limited 6

Having same issue with sluggish and delayed acceleration when stepping on gas pedal. About 2 years ago I accidentally shifted the transmission into "snow" mode instead of "auto" which is the default mode (my Cherokee has a rotary switch for "auto", "snow", "sport", and "sand/mud" transmission modes). The car accelerates smoothly without the herky jerky movement in "snow" mode, so I even use it in the summer. When I told the dealer about this and asked if they could make the "snow" the default so that I did not have to manually shift it all the time, they shrugged me off. I would be interested to hear if anyone else finds this as a solution.

- Marty L., St. Charles, US

Nov 092017

Cherokee Trailhawk V6

Jeep is sluggish going from stop to acceleration (pulling out from a stop sign, out of driveway, etc). After slugging for a couple seconds I usually peel out then. Told by Jeep dealer to “make sure I come to a complete stop” before accelerating. It has been this way for 2.5 years I have owned the Jeep. When reported the service manager gives me the same story others have reported on blogs; Its learning your driving habits, it needs a computer upgrade, yada yada. Last month it locked up and would not shift. Had to have it towed. Fixed something??? Worse now than it was before.

- Bonnie S., Cranberry Township, US

Aug 012017

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6

Repeat transmission issues, this is the latest with other ones not listed and back to dealer telling me this is the number one complaint for this model. I continue to return to dealer over and over not resolving faulty transmission on a like new car that is problematic!

- evycom50, Swanton, US

Jun 102017

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6

Ever since purchase the transmission shifts roughly from time to time.

Have heard that this is common with all Jeeps.

Sounds like a very expensive thing to fix, and would affect resale value.

Why has there not been a recall on this problem???

- billhuser, Prior Lake, US

Sep 012017

Cherokee Limited V6

Didn't notice the herky-jerky it at first, and then as it started to become noticable, I ascribed it to the worthless stop/start (which I often forget to disable). But it's gotten much much worse lately. It hesitates, sometimes a full second after depressing the accelerator. This could be very dangerous, because you don't know how long it will take you to turn into an active lane from a stop. I see others are also complaining of this. I wonder how many people are dead from this, they try to make a right turn from a stop, nothing happens, then just when the transmission is unresponsive, and you need to abort the turn, bang! it kicks in. Especially tough for me, as 70% of my driving is in other, "normal" vehicles. So trying to always remember that I'm in a sometimes non-responsive vehicle, is challenging.

- Philip B., Colorado Springs, CO, US

Apr 222016

Cherokee Limited 4

When slowing down or stopping, the car will not accelerate when it's time to move. Dealer keeps saying, "unable to duplicate". Funny, it did it pulling out of their parking lot when I picked it up again yesterday. They did a PCM software update. I suppose now the transmission has to "learn" my driving style again?

- melissa927, Remsen, NY, USA

Jul 282017

Cherokee Latitude

After having a recall done my vehicle no longer accelerates properly. When pushing on the gas from a stop there is a pause and then it jerks forward. I have had it in the shop 4 times and they insist there is nothing wrong with it, and there is no fix.

- Alicia H., Wallace, US

Aug 302016

Cherokee LX 3.2L

All of my problems started August 30, 2016 in National City California. I went out and started my car for a trip back to Yuma, as I put it in to drive I got three loud noises like the car had been hit with a sledgehammer, I also had a loss of power. I had it towed into Perry Chrysler with transmission problems. Three days later they told me I had a bad one-year old battery. By the time I got out of there it cost me over $500. The battery did not solve the problem. I did not have the noise anymore but I have shifting problems. (36294 Miles)

My first time in the shop at Fisher was October 11, 2016. Followed by five more times. As of now it has been in the shop 19 days for transmission problems. Not making any progress. Last time in I took a drive with the transmission tech. I felt a little insulted. I brought him up to date of what has been happening in the past. I told him the problem we are having now is loss of power and hard shifting taking off from stop lights and stop signs. I told him I did not have any problems at highway speeds. The test drive consisted of a high-speed run down 32nd St. I pointed out to him a couple of hard shift his reply was “this is normal for a nine-speed transmission”. I have talked to a lot of people that have nine speeds and I totally have to disagree that that is normal.

I feel over the last 11 months there has been nothing accomplished. I feel that they know there is no fix for this problem yet, even after three years. So, they just take it in keep it all day maybe put it on the computer and check the program. On June 2, 2017, they installed an (ABS) control module. I noticed no improvement. Just a loss of $200 more dollars. Around this time, I was towed in again. If they don’t find a fix soon the repair costs is going to be more than what I paid originally for the car. The Cherokee model will most likely go away before my warranty does.

- emry, Yuma, US

Nov 192015

Cherokee Latitude V6

At the time of this problem, I did not know about the issues with Jeep's new transmission. This was just the beginning of my problem and it has continued throughout my entire ownership. This problem is very dangerous, as it delays the acceleration of the car when you might be turning across several lanes of traffic. I have come extremely close to being hit and most likely injured, due to the delay when accelerating from a complete stop.

- Helen P., San Antonio, US

Jun 122017

Cherokee Trailhawk V6

This happens so often if I put in a complaint there would be one for every day for the past 5 months. I brought it to the dealer 3 times and they drive it and say they can't find anything. The last time I went with them and it's like going to the Dr... no symptoms. Of course it was a short drive (about a mile or 2) and pretty steady going. They wouldn't let me drive it for them... I was hoping there might be a class action lawsuit that would net enough return to get rid of this thing and get something else. At times it is dangerous because it also goes nowhere often when you step on the gas. One of these times I will get hit trying to move into traffic.

- Richard D., Coventry, US

Mar 152016

Cherokee Latitude

I bought my Jeep in May 2015, ran great at first no issues. More recently I've been running into some interesting problems. In March my SVC4WHEELDRIVE light came on, okay whatever. Didn't think anything of it, called the dealer they told me they couldn't get it in for a week. It was making the most terrible noises, creaking, cracking and popping noises like no other. Went home for lunch from work one day (light still on) went to leave to come back to work got to the top of my street it read 4 wheel drive overheating. FANTASTIC! Turned around took it home and called the dealer told them it's coming in today you will make time for it. Got to the dealer handed them the keys said I don't want it back until it's fixed. They called me the next morning about 8:30 and told me my entire rear axle was shot. Leaking and was very unsafe to drive, SERIOUSLY? I've been driving around in this for almost a week cause they told me it was fine. Whatever they fixed it (thank god it was under warranty). Ever since that has been fixed it has been rough to drive, still making weird noises and isn't sounding good at all. Then I hear about this transmission issue, makes 100% sense my car is doing all the exact same things. I don't know what to do. I called the dealer this morning and they proceeded to tell me "they have no idea what I'm talking about". Awesome, can't wait to see if they ever make an attempt to fix the issue.

- Natalie W., Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 252015

Cherokee North

Ever since we first purchased the Jeep, it has been shifting roughly especially in the first 3 gears. Also seems to not shift in time, causing jerking and a very "hard shift". Feels like someone who's letting the clutch out too soon (only its an automatic). The dealer has done a few "updates" and assures nothing is wrong but it is annoying as hell.

- Crystal S., Barrington Passage, NS, Canada

Jun 162017

Cherokee V6

I have a strong feeling that there will soon be a recall of the Transmissions in the V6 Cherokees from 2014-2015. I have had this problem since I bought the car and the dealerships (three of them) have always said that it's either the way I drive, or the car was just settling in. Suddenly, when I complained to a fourth dealership, they were all "bring it in, lets get that taken care of while the warranty is still good". Practically begging for me to bring it in. They know there are problems and don't seem to argue anymore. Same thing with Chrysler's warranty department when I called to make sure they would pay for the rental car if the transmission needed to be replaced - "no problem, we will get you a rental car for as long as you need it."

- Joel B., Gresham, OR, US

Feb 102017

Cherokee Limited

The car had hesitation and issues with changing gears. The transmission light kept coming on. The dealer kept the car for about a month and then gave it back to us without fixing the issue. They could replicate it but couldn't by they time they gave it back to us. The 2nd day we had it the issue resurfaced again. We immediately took the car back with the error messages still on the car. They first tried to change the main "brain" of the transmission but told us it would not sync up with the existing transmission. They then ordered the new transmission and replaced it. See next complaint for further issues.

- Donna H., Fort Worth, TX, US

Mar 152017

Cherokee Latitude V6

I can rev the engine while waiting for the transmission to shift from forward to reverse. If I don't wait for reverse to engage and just press the accelerator, the engine will rev and when the transmission finally engages, the vehicle will lurch forward, usually spinning the wheels. This could be very dangerous! The dealer told me there is no fix from jeep and I'll have to live with it. I don't dare let anyone drive this vehicle or they could wreck! It also does this but not as bad when shifting into drive.

- Terry L., Palm Harbor, US

Mar 032017

Cherokee Limited 2.4L

This is an ongoing problem since we purchased this car in Nov 2015. We have reported it to the dealer multiple times, but they never have a fix or good answer. Sometimes the transmission hesitates and it takes it several seconds before it engages when trying to take off, which can be very scary when moving into traffic. Sometimes it jumps forward or jerks when shifting from one gear to the next, which is also unnerving. Sometimes when you put it in reverse it jumps back very quickly. We are afraid it is going to cause an accident. On this visit to try to get it fixed again the tech says they can not find the problem.

- Denise K., Haslet, TX, US