ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2015 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems: delayed shifting during acceleration

Delayed Shifting During Acceleration

2015 Jeep Cherokee (Page 2 of 4)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

7.6

2. not fixed (15 reports)
  3. replace transmission (2 reports)
  4. software update (1 reports)
2015 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Apr 042016

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

Fed up in Arizona. Purchased 2015 Jeep new from dealer and have had jerky and hard shift transmission ever since. Extremely annoying. Have been to the dealer 4 times. Story is: that's just the way the 9 speed functions. BS!!!!! I'm an x-engineer from the OEM Supply chain and no vehicle should be launched with issues like this. No vehicle that cost $35k+ should function like this. Had multiple SW updates which is what I assumed would fix it. Hell no. SOS as if nothing was done. I thought of trading but found the KBB has my year old vehicle listed at 1/2 the price I paid. Completely unacceptable. At this point it appears I will have to suck it up and eat the loss or simply put up with a jerky vehicle that people constantly ask; "why does your new vehicle jerk and rough shift like that". My answer is I made a bad choice of investing hard earned money in a FCA vehicle. A mistake I am not likely to make again. And they wonder why people buy foreign vehicles..........sad.

- Julie L., Goodyear, AZ, US

Jun 152015

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

The 9 speed transmission on this vehicle does not shift properly, especially through the first 3 gears. I have brought my 2015 Jeep Cherokee in for transmission issues countless times and have been told this is how this transmission is suppose to operate. I am supposed to accept that the shifting from 1st to 2nd can be delayed and then a hard shift that sounds like someone hit my car when it finally decides to shift into third or the same is true from 3rd to second.

The dealership finally was able to correct these hard shifts with a software update until I realized what the software actually did. The car will now not shift into 2nd when slowing down, and when it does finally shift down, after slowing down to 3 mph, it shifts to 1st gear completely by passing 2nd gear. This causes the car to accelerate very slowly if you get caught between 1st and 3rd gear and if you press to hard on the accelerator it tends to downshift too hard causing the car to lurch forward and cause a potential accident with any cars in front of you.

This had been going on since June 2015 until the software update removed 2nd gear from the downshift. Since the car does not down shifts to 2nd my car takes longer to slow down as there is no help from the transmission and this can also cause an accident as your stopping time is increased, as well as additional wear and tear on your breaks.

- Ralph R., Jensen Beach, US

Sep 052016

Cherokee ES 3.2L V6

Jeep Cherokee 2015 transmission slips, does not go into gear. Brought to the dealer on 4/28/17 said they had to update the software, still does not fix the problem. DO NOT PURCHASE A JEEP CHEROKEE.

- Sandra R., Gloucester, US

Aug 012015

Cherokee

Since the purchase of this Jeep I have had nothing but problems with it. Dealership keeps telling me I need to bring it in every 3 months for an update are you kidding me.. It still does not fix the issue and to top it off today 5/13/17 only had the car less then 2 years bought it brand new with 15 mi the piece of crap A/C compressor exploded while I was driving. Then I had to pay $100 deductible just for it to be fixed. I'm so stressed over this car. There is no end in sight with this lemon. I been ripped off with this piece of crap of a so called vehicle. One day this horrible transmission is going to kill me in a car accident. As soon as I push the pedal down to accelerate it moves at 2 mph. Don't try to pull out with traffic coming I might not live.

- koymath, Phoenix, US

Apr 222017

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

Gripe : this is the most piece junk car I ever bought. Going to change for another car soon...

- Carlos M., Orange, US

Apr 142016

Cherokee Limited

THIS "FIX" DID NOT HELP. The jeep still shifts rough from 1 to 2 up shift and delayed down shift from 3 to 2. Very dangerous to drive.

- Michele Q., Palm Desert, CA, US

Aug 022016

Cherokee Trail Hawk 3.2L V6

The transmission is NEVER in the correct gear. When slowing down and then accelerating (like when turning left), the transmission is still in gear 6 or 7. It should be in 2 or 3 so that the vehicle can accelerate. I now know that I can't turn left safely until there are no cars coming for almost a quarter mile because I will not be able to make the turn in time. This frustrates me and people behind me. It is a also a safety issue.

Also, when I am accelerating from being completely stopped, the vehicle is rarely in gear. After pressing on the gas for a while, it finally decides to shift out of neutral and you either go super slow because you are in a high gear, or squeal tires. Also a safety issue. I have taken it in twice. Jeep acknowledges what it does, but will not fix the problem. They say that it may not be functioning like I want it to, but it is functioning by Jeep design. Nine speed tranny for a 3.2L v6. It doesn't work. It is completely dangerous and ridiculous.

- shamrox, Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jul 092015

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

There seems to be a massive complaint about this problem and it falls on deaf ears. I'm sick and tired of nothing being done. Other people who have driven the car complained that they thought they had been hit from behind as it shifts into gear. How many times do I have to complain about this and still get nothing done?

- Susan I., Las Vegas, US

Feb 142017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

Terrible shifting from a stop, downshifting, and makes a loud clunk. Noticeable delay of 1 to 1.5 seconds from when accelerator is depressed before the transmission engages. Terrible lack of acceleration to the point where it is dangerous to pull out onto a road with higher speed limits. Better be sure nothing is coming or you might get hit. Flooring the pedal does not increase acceleration initially. After a slow acceleration, it suddenly kicks in and feels like it is at maximum acceleration. 4 trips to the dealer. Case created with FCA. Dealer tells me nothing is wrong but acknowledged they felt the same issues I described. Said they cannot fix it as there is no fix for it. Said its just how the jeep drives. Complete Bullshit

- Christopher B., Springfield, US

Apr 202016

Cherokee Limited V6

Tranny is worst of any auto I ever had. Bucks and lurches. Slow to respond to gas when pulling out. Seeks a gear while I wait in traffic.

TOO MANY RECALLS !!! This junker Jeep has been in the shop MANY TIMES, than I can't count. WAIT 27 days to get into a dealer for recalls or FIX IT RIGHT service. Now a moldy musty smell come out of the heater. Some problem with the AC condenser. Must wait, once again, for the appointment. Leased this junker Jeep and still have a year left. after 2+ years only 10,970 miles on it ! Won't take it on a long trip anymore. Can't depend on this lemon. Dealers say there is nothing wrong with trans. The updates don't fix it. When will GOV.step in on the dangerous vehicle ??

- exculprit, Germantown, US

Feb 072015

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L

This 9 speed transmission is terrible. Every time I come to a rolling stop and accelerate after, the transmission seems to slip for a good 2 seconds before it decides to grab, causing the tires to squeal and jerking the whole vehicle forward. This has to be a safety issue, especially with a newborn in the back seat!

- Keith W., Eagle, WI, USA

Jun 012016

Cherokee Limited V6

The transmission shifts rough in the lower 3 gears.

- Yongqiang Y., Columbia, MO, USA

Jun 192016

Cherokee Limited V6

This 9-speed transmission demonstrates difficulties in the lower gears. Sometimes there a a delay when pressing on the gas. Sometimes there is a delay in shifting to the next gear. Sometimes it jerks into the next lower gear when decelerating, causing a lurch. At freeway speeds, there is a definite delay in pressing the accelerator, complicating proper speed maintenance and passing.

- Greg V., Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Sep 122016

Cherokee Limited 4x4 2.4L 4-cyl

My Jeep has always shifted gears very poorly. This was my first brand new car purchase, so initially I thought it was a normal thing, but it got worse and worse over time. Anytime I wanted to change lanes and accelerate, the transmission felt like it was in neutral, wouldn't move and then all of a sudden a huge jerk and kick into 2nd gear. It feels like your getting rare ended.

- Brent F., Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 172015

Cherokee Trailhawk

I have been disputing the transmission problems with Chrysler since a few months after purchasing the vehicle. There has been no resolution and I am currently having the case reviewed by a third party. This vehicle is unsafe and needs to be recalled before there is a bad accident because of it. I should not have to wonder if my vehicle is going to stall in the lane or dart out into oncoming traffic. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned!

FCA and Chrysler Fiat execs would not allow their family members to drive this vehicle so why do they expect consumers too. Something needs to be done! They take no ownership of the safety problems and refuse to offer any assistance.

- jw7366, Oshkosh, WI, USA

Jul 052015

Cherokee Lattitude 3.2L

I have taken it to the local Jeep dealer several times for the same issue. They replaced the transmissions but the original problem persists. Transmissions jerks into gear, goes out of gear, slams back into gear, and has totally stopped working while trying to enter a freeway.

- Kevin O., Austin, USA

Mar 012016

Cherokee TrailHawk 3.2L V6

2015 Jeep Trailhawk Hardly any miles and Transmission NO GOOD! Took it to Dealer JW. Of course nothing wrong with it! They are full of it LOOK IT UP HAPPENING TO LOTS OF THESE VEHICLES! How do we get a class action LAW suit going People. I dont understand how car dealers sell you a NEW VECHILE AND say aww theres nothing wrong, when the transmission jerks jumps slips u name it its doing it! I have read LOTS OF COMPLAINTS about these same issues something has got to be DONE BEFORE WE ALL GET KILLED FROM THERE BS! LIES! The money we pay and the sh*t we get!! ANGERS ME!!! CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT NEEDS TO START!!!

Update from Apr 5, 2017: ok So have taken it back to Jeef wyler Ft.Thomas Ky. 3 more times for same issue and they WILL NOT ACKOWNLEDGE THE PROBLEM! One of the men drove it and did say yes has issues but then will not back us up on it! THIS IS A SUCH BS! Called Chyrsler spoke to a nice lady but she said they were saying people dont know how drive them! LMAO! Not our 1st vechile and Automatic! REALLY CHRYSLER! BACK YOUR WARRANTY! WE REALLY NEED A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!

- Paula&Bob P., Alexandria, KY, USA

Dec 012015

Cherokee Limited 3.2V6

I loved this suv. This is my 3rd jeep and the WORST ever. My dad works for the corporation so I have to buy a Chrysler. Knowing the 14's had some issues I was leery but bought the 2015 Cherokee anyhow. The transmission jumps ahead in low gears, The transmission revs rpms at 5th gear and ether lunges, slips or clunks jerking the whole car. At 4 months old , I had to get a software update and a relearn of the transmission. It was better but still not great. After a few more months we are back to where we were. I just got done with my 2nd software update and 2nd relearn of the system. Day two , same issues. Only this is not on every day so they have to " catch the car " having an issue? Really? I know the dealer as well as the corporation is aware of this. There is no real solution and I know I have a car that will not hold its value. 38,000 for a car you would think it would be reliable. It is a pain to keep taking the car in, and not feeling my car is working properly.

- Ronda V., La Porte, IN, US

Jun 012016

Cherokee Trailhawk V6

Bought the 2015 Trailhawk brand new. Drove like a dream. Really loved this car until 1 1/2 yrs. & 20K miles it began having problems with accelerating from a stop & 2 & 3 gears having a hard bump. Dealership has had my car for 2 months. Replaced the transmission with a new one. Can't get the check engine light off & others. Car drives worse than before. Still do not have my Jeep after 2 months in the shop. Jeep's techs are assisting the dealers techs. Nothing has solved the issues.

- cgtimes2, Katy, TX, USA

Jun 162015

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L

I purchased this on 11/14. Now we don't use this much seeing we have 3 other cars. This has had numerous recalls and TSB's done on it, more than any other new car I've owned and I've purchased over 14 in my life. The transmission in this is pure garbage and a danger to ones life. My wife who is the main driver hated but got use to the lunging when letting off the gas but after the R01 update she stopped driving it and now sits in our driveway collecting dust. Numerous times while coming to a stop she would give it gas as a light changed or passing through an intersection and either the jeep would hesitate moving or jerk and spin the wheels if you gave it more gas. Clunking gears, shifting at the wrong times, this should be recalled by the government. She nearly got into an accident and stopped driving it. We usually keep our cars for the long run, but doubt that will be the story with this junk! Back to Gm after this.

- petersny, Babylon, NY, USA