ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2015 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems: jerks and hesitates

Jerks And Hesitates

2015 Jeep Cherokee (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

7.6

2. replace valve body (1 reports)
2015 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 162018

Cherokee

This vehicle started doing this jerk and rough noise underneath and complained the dealer did update on recalls and not fixed took it back again. They tried another steps to fix but it did not work and finally they did replace the valve body transmission. It felt ok for a week, no rough sound underneath but still has shifting issues. Very irritating and if we do trade, we lose how much we paid. We paid full cost for this vehicle and we are not even getting half of it.

- Mamata S., Boulder, US

Feb 102018

Cherokee Trailhawk

Transmission shifts hard and often violently. Will shift hard enough to cause a 2/3 empty bottle of drink to have liquid fly out of the bottle in the cup holders to hold the bottle stationary. Shifting can occur at variable speeds between 20-50 possibly higher sometimes.

We have taken it back to the dealer twice, where they say it needs an "update" to control shifting, but they refuse to listen to the vehicle. It has shifted so hard that it has thrown us forward while driving, and it sounds like something is hitting under the car. This is not the need of an update, even if the dealer and "Jeep" say this is a thing. We are not the first to have this issue, and they don't know when they will release this update to "fix" the transmission issues. The transmission shifts hard at variable temperatures too, but somehow the dealer can never feel the hard shift when they take it out. The hard shifts happen on both highways and neighborhood roads, multiple people have felt this shift not just one person.

- Trista M., Graham, US

Dec 012016

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

My wife mainly drives this vehicle and since the day we got it she complained about the transmission shifting roughly. I mostly brushed this off thinking she just wasn't use to driving a Jeep. After I retired I became the main driver of this Jeep and I too noticed that it not only shifted hard but very hard. I at one point, was afraid I was going to drop the transmission in the middle of the road.

I took this Jeep to the dealer and they said, "you wouldn't believe how many of these Jeeps we have had in here for the same problem". They drove it around, said that they too felt a hard shift, said it felt like it was going to give them whiplash. They scheduled a time for me to come back and gave me a car to drive. After a couple days I got my Jeep back but with no improvement.

This has been going on now for over a year. I've had four different rentals, without my jeep for several months total and now even though they seem to have fixed the upshift from 4th to 5th. The downshift is still there and now I have a new problem. The transmission will drop into natural or hesitate from a stop sign.

I've been use to the burning rubber starting out from a start. I just thought it was the way it was suppose to be, maybe geared down too low. But I've read that this is also a problem.

I'll take it back to the dealer tomorrow. Good luck to me!

- Chesley W., Somerset, US

Oct 122016

Cherokee Limited V6

The transmission has been flashed updated approximately six times in Canada, five in the United States and it still is doing the same thing. It is a safety issue that should be recalled. The vehicle is very very dangerous and I’m always at the dealership getting it flashed and updated which only last a few hundred kilometers. Then it’s back to doing the same thing again shifting hard, jerking, hesitating. The only time it will not do that is when you put it in snow mode. Our dealer in Canada and gets that there is a definite problem but Jeep Canada nor Jeep United States is willing to do anything about it. They tell me it’s characteristic of the vehicle. I put in cases against both countries and I get the same result, it's characteristic of the vehicle. So our dealership to standing behind, us but they can’t do anything because Jeep has tied their hands in Canada and United States, joke.

- Owen M., Warburg, AB, Canada

Sep 012017

Cherokee 4

Saved for this vehicle and it consistently jerks and hesitates and dealership says, "it's fine."

- Karen B., Westborough, US

Dec 012015

Cherokee V6

Leased vehicle Nov 2015. Love car but soon notice transmission hesitation. Thought being new it had to break in. It is now November 2017. We always have had problems with this situation, every dealer visit stumps and baffels their technicians. Finally a few months ago one female tech says she knows what it is. Dealership did a transmission software update It has been a couple months and incidents have been very few but still does it.

Our feeling, the car could be dangerous with transmission hesitating like this. Example; at intersection waiting for traffic to clear to enter roadway. You see an opening and you expect your vehicle to have the speed you need to safely get out into the roadway. Once starting your acceleration, you get partway into road and then tranny hesitates like its in neutral. Now you find vehicles are nearing you and they have to slow to avoid hitting you. Now car jumps to full power and continues on your way.

I find that it doesn't happen all the time but it does happen more than not. I feel even though the dealer software

update seemed to help, it may start to worsen.

We want to buy the vehicle next November but not sure if transmission problems will worsen and then its at our cost. We love everything else with this Jeep but can't have it become our cash cow..

- Darrell L., Bangor, Maine, US

Dec 122017

Cherokee Trailhawk V6

This problem has persisted for much of my ownership which started in November 2015. Push accelerator pedal and car waits, waits, waits, waits, then GOES! Burns off the tires sometimes and always puts me into a dangerous situation. It doesn't happen every time and seems to happen more a couple of starts into the drive. Maybe more when it is cold outside. Seems worse when the front end is higher than the back.

People get upset when it looks like I pulled out in front of them when I actually had plenty of room if the Jeep had gone when I asked it to. 5 visits to fix the transmission so far. Once place said after they tried 3 times that they would need to replace the transmission the next time. They didn't. I took it to another place where they ran the updates that the other guys always do and it seems to work for a couple of days and then it starts the problem again. This is a jacked up transmission and software and Jeep needs to solve it. People will die and it could be prevented. All of the car manufacturers need to realize that the software that attempts to learn the way people drive is ridiculous and screws up the way cars drive. Different people drive the same car, the same person drives differently in different situations, eg., my short commute is much different than a drive to the coast, the mountains or off-road. Lose the "learning" software. Make the car go when we push the pedal and if we want more throttle, we'll push farther and faster. In the meantime Jeep, fix the damn transmissions and run your company like you're in it for the long-term and want repeat customers!

- cj7&trailhawkbd, Portland, US

Aug 102016

Cherokee Limited 6 cyl

Seems to be a known issue. Sounds exactly like all the others. I am very disappointed that Jeep is not standing by this vehicle.

- Dan V., Larchmont, US

Nov 012017

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

Takes time for the transmission to engage and it will either launch forward or have a lull before it goes. Stays in 2nd gear too long.

- Leann F., Epsom, US

Aug 012016

Cherokee Limited Sport 3,2

The car has been to dealer 3 times and they are unable to fix it. I was told that is how they shift and they get a lot of complaints on it.

- Michael M., Salem, US

Jan 032016

Cherokee Larado V6

When starting out in low gear there may be a hesitation and then it grabs and at times it will be enough to squeal the tires. The shifting between the lower gears can be jerky as well. This does not occur every time I start out but you never know when it will.

There are also times when I take my foot of the gas pedal and start to apply the brakes the transmission seems to shift as the rpm's will increase slightly and the car will momentarily accelerate.

- rjsorenson, Two Rivers, US

Oct 122017

Cherokee Limited V6

Within the first week of purchasing the car the jerking and hesitation of the transmission was noticed. The slow acceleration from a stop is the worst. It has caught me off guard and put me and my family in a dangerous situation. I've had the car now 3 weeks and it has slammed into a gear while declaration. Not sure what gears but was going approximately 45 ish. I called the dealer today 10/23/17 and he suggests a software patch. Will update when I get more information.

Update from Oct 31, 2017: Brought to the dealership for "fixing" they had it for a few hours and relearned the computer and replaced a module. I would say its 75% better. they said to drive it 200 miles to learn my driving habits. after the 200 miles I just made another appointment for tomorrow 11/1/17. Will update further

Update from Jan 8, 2018: Sorry for the long gap in updates. They replaced the throttle body and one other part which I've forgotten atm. Its running 85-90% better. It still has a few errors when trying to accelerate but its much more tolerable. Hope the fix holds and I can forget this whole nightmare.

- tomzon76, Holland Patent, US

May 012017

Cherokee Limited V6

Very, very annoying. With Chrysler's poor history over the years with faulty, unreliable transmissions, I was very disappointed to be experiencing jerky, clunky, delayed, hi rev shifts from a new vehicle. Not much confidence in its reliability, not to mention the difficulty in selling and loss of value.

- robertwalker, Richmond, BC, Canada

Jan 092017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

click to see larger images

jerks and hesitates

The transmission shudders, clunks and hesitates. Started in the first year of ownership. Small little jerks and shift hesitations. Then it progressed to shift clunks. The most dangerous thing is when you're slowing down to turn in front of oncoming traffic and you push the gas and get no response. Usually lasts about 2 seconds but as much as 4 seconds. I've had the vehicle in the shop numerous times. They flashed the computer on most visits Then they did something to the torque converter and some other mechanical things. I've had three Chrysler Customer Care Agents. They succeeded in dragging me past my 2 year date that allows you to file directly with Chrysler. The Chrysler rep looked at my Jeep and had the dealer reset the computer back to factory settings. He declared the vehicle fixed and working according to design. It isn't fixed. I've had fewer problems but it still shudders, clunks and hesitates. And those things will revert back to what they were before the reset. I tried to trade up to a Grand Cherokee last January. My Jeep had 16,000 miles and was pristine. They offered lowest Blue Book value because of the transmission. Yet, Chrysler says it isn't broken. I hired an attorney and was offered a small settlement. The amount would not replace that transmission when it fails. North Carolina lemon laws are suppose to be strong but I have no idea how to get them to work for me. My mistakes were trusting the dealer, not knowing I could sue after 4 attempts to fix it and dealing with Chrysler Customer Care. I hope my story will at least help someone in the future. I will probably trade and take the loss just to get rid of my Jeep. I will never buy

another Chrysler product or deal with my Chrysler dealer.

- Kathleen R., Flat Rock, US

Nov 082014

Cherokee

I purchased my 2015 Jeep Cherokee (sh*tty ass 9 speed transmission) brand new. Within the first month, I started having transmission issues with delayed acceleration, revving RPMs followed by a violent surge forward. Every time I've taken it to Jeep they "reprogram" the transmission and tell me I'm good to go, it's fixed...NOT. It's been taken in every 3 to 6 months. I've finally contacted a Lemon Lawyer! I advise everyone to call a lemon lawyer!

- riepe1kl, Pendleton, US

Aug 242017

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6

around 32 mph, the transmission goes into a hard shift and makes a loud clunking sound.

- Ellis F., Scottsdale, US

Aug 012015

Cherokee

I have a daily dash display to service shifter. All gears light up at once: drive, reverse, park, all of them. Backing out of drive EVERY MORNING it clunks from reverse to drive and surges forward even with my foot on the brake.

- grayzwt, Eagle River, US

Dec 262016

Cherokee Latitude 4 cyl

I have been having trouble with the trans shifting since purchase. I took it back to the dealer 3 times. They replaced the valve body, then did several software updates. Still jerks and hesitates mostly in lower gears, also Rpms fly up when going downhill , not smooth downshift either. 2 times I put in gear from drive and it was a few seconds until the car went into gear, causing it to roll back. Was told that there is no fix for these problems.

- Debra F., Mount Pocono, US

Mar 162015

Cherokee

OMG! I want to cry. This thing jerks so bad! It feels like someone is slamming into the back of you. I can't ever pull off in traffic because the car stalled. I almost died with my child in the car several times. I burn so much gas pressing on the accelerator in order to keep with the flow of traffic. God forbid that I have to stop at a light or a stop sign. I have taken it in so many times to be fixed with no success. They have kept it for 5 days at a time! the car is terrible. I have nightmares about it. I have a back hernia and it makes the pain so much worse. I hate this car it is torture. I have spent so much time on the phone with terrible customer care! I'm not a mechanic, but there is something so wrong!

- Neil S., Loganville, US

Jul 282016

I entered the following at the NHTSA site on 7/30/2016:

Driving on the highway at approx. 70 mph when Jeep developed severe hesitation and jerking motion. Evasive action taken to avoid an accident to pull off to exit the highway. Light indicator on dash board. Turned vehicle off then restarted. Light remained on dash (not flashing), however, proceeded to see if car is driveable. Two more occurrences of same symptom. Again, pulled over and did the same stop/start and then proceeded. Managed to get home. Immediately contacted dealership where car was purchased new. Currently has 12k on vehicle. Following day took car in for inspection and problem determination. Was informed that (5) software flashes would be updated on vehicle, one of which was a Transmission Control Module (TCM) flash. Drove car home same day. I will need some time driving Jeep to see if these software flashes has fixed the problem. After a few hours I decided to get on the internet to investigate if anyone else has experienced this problem. To my surprise, it is clearly a problem with others. Question? Why was I not informed of this problem by dealership or any other notifications of recall, etc. Really, this is how it works, you have to wait until there is a fatality to do something. I am very disappointed with Chrysler. History: I have owned 1998 Jeep Wrangler, 2001 Dodge Dakota, 2005 Dodge Magnum and now 2015 Jeep Cherokee and the list goes on for other members of the family. Come on Chrysler you can do better than this. There is a problem related to these (9 gear) transmissions that need to be fixed. Don't wait to recall these vehicles. If transmission is the culprit, then replace these transmissions. Driving habits require frequent travel through Atlanta, GA traffic. Under normal driving conditions you are taking a risk driving through Atlanta let alone with know vehicle problems.

- ca2t2ch, Blue Ridge, GA, USA