9.0

2. yes. new engine. yea jeep! (3 reports)
2016 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Cherokee:

2016 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments

Dec 102018

Cherokee Sport 2.4L

We have had our Cherokee for 2 1/2 years. We had the engine replaced at 20k miles due to severe scoring of the cylinder walls as a result of oil consumption causing the car to shut off/stall. NOW... 23k miles later we are replacing the engine AGAIN! The car was taken in due to battery losing charge thinking it was the alternator. NOPE, they checked the cylinder walls of the engine and found scouring again as well as oil gathering where the spark plugs are and he called it "blow-by". This is CRAZY! I want an old car with a heavy solid engine!

- Kathie T., Anaheim, US

Mar 202018

Cherokee 2.4L

Around March 18th car was acting like it couldn't shift gears, then would only go about 20 miles per hour. Pulled off and had car towed in. Was told this was a transmission sensor. About 2 week later car would stall when I went around a corner or up any kind of incline. Took back to dealer was told I was 2qts low on oil. The Jeep had about 16,000 miles on it. Between 4/3 and 4/17 I was back twice for them to check the oil. 1 qt was added the first time and 1/2 qt the second. As I was going on vacation didn't want to stall out due to low oil. This was not recorded in their system.

At 18,000 the oil was changed they did not check to see if it was low so do not know. So after adding about 5,000 miles jeep was stalling out again 3 qts low. I do not put very many miles on my vehicle 12,000-14,000 per year they told me that I would probably need to add a quart of oil every 30 to 45 days and this was normal???

I say it is not normal and if it had been disclosed to me when I bought the vehicle that I may need to add oil each month I would not of bought this vehicle. Not sure that I understand how this is normal when all Cherokee's do not do this? If all of these vehicle's are not having this problem I would gather that something is wrong with the ones that do have the problem.

I think it was a big mistake to buy this vehicle.

- true blue, Saint Joseph, US

Nov 012017

Cherokee Sport 2.4L

When the vehicle was under 50k miles it was burning a quart every thousand miles, which Chrysler said was acceptable. They advised oil change intervals at 5000 miles and the oil capacity is five quarts. Now that it has over 50k on it, they advised it's acceptable to burn a quart every 750 miles. The dealership won't work with me and Chrysler told me it was the TRANSMISSION that is causing it to burn oil!

- Andrew R., Mooresville, NC, US

Oct 102017

Cherokee Lattitude 2.4L

Sucks down oil. Dealer claims to have put in new motor, but must not be the case because after 1000 miles the oil does not even show on the dip stick.

- Willeen W., Eureka, MO, US

Sep 122017

Cherokee Limited 2.4L

Here’s my saga: hope the details help anyone else who finds themself in this situation

Jeep was dinging at random times; no lights on dashboard. I couldn’t find anything about this in manual and it was scheduled for routine oil change in two days so I figured I have it checked out then. Not far from my house, car lost power, pulled off road and was able to restart (very scary as I had driven to Logan airport that morning in heavy traffic). My husband drove less than 1/2 mile to our local mechanic; he ran diagnostics on battery, starter and charging systems...no problems. Called dealer; moved oil change to next day; only drove car to dealer (about 17 miles) next morning.

When they went to change oil, it was almost out of oil which is why it was dinging. FYI. I had had to wait a couple of weeks to schedule the oil change because of the dealers availability ( I wasn’t concerned; at time I made appt I didn’t think there was any urgency).

Dealer explained they would need to do oil consumption testing at least three times before they could submit to Chrysler; 09/12/17 added 5 quarts oil OW20; started oil consumption testing 14399 miles 09/26/17added one quart oil at 14915 miles 10/16/17 down 3/4 quart oil; filled to proper level at 15500 miles 10/30/17 found oil level to be full at 16023; 11/29/17 Found oil to be full; questioned as I had thought it was a little low that morning; discussed and service told me only service manager and another rep would be checking oil going forward during oil consumption testing 12/19/17 added 1/2 quart oil; service manager asked to bring back following week for additional diagnostics 12/27/17 dropped car off for further diagnostics; was given loaner (2017 Jeep Cherokee just like mine minus navigation) 1/5/18 car in process of being diagnosed; taking a little longer than expected because of holiday and major snowstorm 1/8-12/18 dealer submitted request to replace engine; called when it was approved and when engine ordered 1/15/18 called to say engine had been replaced 1/16/18 returned loaner; picked up car; No Charge!

The Service team were all very professional and listened to me during this “ordeal”!!

- dm5678, Warwick, US

May 262017

Cherokee Limited 2.4L

I purchased a 2016, Jeep Cherokee with 20,211 miles on it. At 24,311 the oil light comes on when taking a turn. I stop and check the oil level and the Jeep is 3.5 qts low! I fill it up and then change the oil/filter. I called Jeep and currently am running a Consumption Test through the dealership where I was also told 1 quart 1000 miles is acceptable. I'm selling it if it can't be fixed. Stay tuned .....

Update from Jun 18, 2017: I completed by oil consumption test with Tate Jeep of Glen Burnie, MD. In 2 weeks we put 1050 miles on the 2016 Jeep Cherokee. Jeep said 1 qt in 2000 miles is too much for a vehicle with less than 50K miles. They performed a cylinder wall examination and said there was severe scoring of at least 2 cylinder walls. They submitted a request to Jeep Corporate for an engine replacement and it was accepted within a day. Jeep then ordered and replaced the engine 2 days later! Yea Jeep!

- Robert I., Severna Park, MD, US

Aug 152016

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

Bought the jeep in May 2016 and about 2 months later I needed a oil change. So I brought the jeep back to the dealership that I bought it and had them do an oil change. Everything was ok but the service advisor told me it was about a quart low before they changed it. Couple weeks after that we took a family road trip that was about 5000 miles roundtrip. When we were getting close to home the car kept shutting off but with no message in the message center. So I dropped the jeep off at the same dealership and had them check it out. They called me a little while later to tell me that there was no oil in the engine. Not a single drop. So I asked them where did all the oil go? They told me that the newer jeeps burn oil and that its normal. I told them I never heard of that and I think they are wrong. So I got a second opinion from another Chrysler dealership in the next town over. They told me the same thing. I said how can this be normal I'm burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles. They said if I read the handbook that came with the jeep it would say in there to watch your oil level and add as needed. So I left there fed up because everyone is telling me its normal to burn so much. So I have been adding the 0w20 oil it calls for, for a couple months now. Now in may 2017 1 year after I bought this jeep I'm adding a quart of oil every 250-300 miles and it blows a cloud of blue smoke out of the tailpipe on takeoff. Also I don't know if it has anything to do with burning so much oil but when I do take off from a stop once I hit about 10mph the jeep just stops accelerating for about 7seconds and then starts going again. I have almost been rear ended twice because of this. It just keeps getting worse so I brought it back to the dealership and its in there now so now I just sit and wait. I don't feel safe driving it anymore and its getting pricey buying all this oil. I spend on average $33 a month just on oil so it doesn't go dry. I don't know what else to do, just really mad and upset that I paid $33,000 for this vehicle and it has this problem already. My current mileage is 17811. I hope they will fix the problem soon otherwise I guess ill just put the vehicle aside and start walking to work each day or public transportation.

- amike, McHenry, US

Jan 132017

Cherokee

When you purchase a newer vehicle that takes $8 a quart of 0w-20 Synthetic oil you shouldn't be down a quart every 1500 miles. This vehicle doesn't drip oil, it must be burning it out the tail pipe. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Wouldn't that shorten the the O2 sensor life span? Feed back welcome.

- Dave M., Traverse City, MI, US