ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2016 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems: transmission not working properly

Transmission Not Working Properly

2016 Jeep Cherokee (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

7.1

2. replace transmission (3 reports)
  3. download latest software patch (2 reports)
  4. replaced transmission module (2 reports)
  5. repair coolant lines (1 reports)
  6. replace the transmission (1 reports)
2016 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Cherokee:

2016 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 012017

Cherokee Latitude

This piece of junk vehicle has done nothing but give me problems since the day I bought it!!! Starting within the first month the car not wanting to start at all, dealership ended up replacing the ignition. Now the hunk of junk slams into gear when driving. It feels like you get rear ended. It is very dangerous because you don't know when it is going to happen. I am worried it will happen when i do not want to go forward and get involved into an accident. It is usually at lower speeds but I don't want to allow it to become a problem. Oh and don't let me be going down a steep hill that I have to brake on, the rpm with ramp all the way into the red zone and never downshift until I slam the brakes as hard as I can. I am going to end up in a freaking wreak because of this lemon. Supposedly they fixed this problem in the 2016, well I am hear to tell you they have not!!! Oh and service department where I bought the lemon just looks at me like I am crazy.

NOW I am stuck in a Lemon that has negative equity in it and can't even trade out of it unless I want to pay out my butt.

- dtidwell, Batesville, US

Dec 012016

Cherokee Limited V6

I bought a 2016 Jeep Cherokee because I thought it would be a reliable vehicle. I have had my Jeep in to the shop 2 times now for transmission problems. This time the shop had my vehicle for 4 days. The transmission work was under warranty but the front end alignment and normal 15,000 mile check up cost me just under $400. Pick up my Jeep in the morning-I hope it makes the trip to Tahoe ok, or I will be very unhappy. Not that it matters to Jeep, but I thought I would let the world know to beware!

- Shari M., Sparks, US

Nov 072017

not shifting into drive

Am seriously freaked out right now. I've had this vehicle 1.5 yrs and not had a single problem until now. Super stressed out.

- Denise C., Caldwell, US

Dec 122017

Cherokee Limited 3.2 V6

• CVT transmission

My wife is the primary driver of this 2016 Jeep Cherokee, and when we bought this, the salesman was pitching his whole "Jeep Reliability" speech! I had my doubts, but my wife really liked the vehicle, so we ended up getting it.

The whole Engine Shutoff when at a stop was some getting used to, but even after the two years we've had it (28,000 miles), it was still rather annoying.

On her way from work, she called me and said that the Cherokee just all of a sudden started to lunge, and that it felt like it wanted to stall. She turned off the engine shutoff feature, but said that didn't help. Shortly after that, she said that the Transmission indicator turned on and the "Service Transmission" displayed on the info screen.

Luckily Huffine's Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep of Plano, TX was close, so she was able to make it there! The service department was already closed, but yesterday (Dec 15, 2017) they called her and said that the entire transmission was shot! They would have to replace the whole thing - so new transmission supposedly coming in from Detroit (2 weeks) and another week to do the work!

I started to do some research on this vehicle and was alarmed at all the transmission related articles out there! It's rather scary and doesn't give us piece of mind that this vehicle is safe. Actually, we're rather upset and disappointed that Jeep hasn't had a recall! And, that we're in a $30K+ vehicle, that is not reliable.

I'm not sure what we can do about this, since it's "being fixed".

- Roberto A., McKinney, TX, US

Dec 092017

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6

The vehicle slams into gear when driving. It feels like you get rear ended. It is very dangerous because you don't know when it is going to happen. I am worried it will happen when i do not want to go forward and get involved into an accident. It is usually at lower speeds but I don't want to allow it to become a problem. I have dropped it off at the dealer and hope they can resolve the problem. Orange coast Ram in Costa Mesa, CA. I have my fingers crossed because because everything I read with other people experience is that it is a common problem.

- Brett F., Huntington Beach, CA, US

Feb 012016

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L 4 cyl

Took it to the dealership and they said it needed a oil change and it would fix it. One year later and the car is back at it and this time the service isn’t even 2k miles in and less than 2 months ago....

- Dangelo F., Lakeland, US

Oct 092017

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6

While traveling on a 2 lane rd @ 55mph towing a small boat in moderate traffic the Jeep lost all power. I was lucky to find a place quickly to coast onto the narrow shoulder. The cars behind were alert and there was no accident. The potential was there though. It was still running at an idle (1000rpm) so I did retain brakes and steering. The engine light and a message of "service transmission" message coincided with the problem. I did manage to get it home and it's now at the dealership where I purchased it. I will update when I hear from them. I'm not filled with confidence as the dealership pretty much said this would be a rare event. I see plenty of this exact same complaint on several websites including NHTSA.

Update from Oct 11, 2017: Got the Jeep back from the dealer today (10/11/17) after they flashed both the PCM and the TCM with the latest software. It seems to be working fine after this procedure. I have a copy of the service order if it would be of any further help.

- William L., Grawn, US

Sep 242017

Cherokee Sport 2.4L

This is a very common issue on the Jeep Cherokee. These transmissions are not working properly all the time.

- Nicholas B., Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Aug 032017

Cherokee Limited V6

I was driving 70 miles an hour down a major highway in the Atlanta, GA area and all of a sudden my engine light comes on and my car starts to decelerate. Fortunately, I was able to get my car to the side of the road and call AAA. My car has been at the dealer for going on 3 weeks but mostly to the dealer service center being backed up.

They figured out quickly it was transmission related and said they'd have to get to it. Fortunately, they gave me a loner vehicle. When they finally got it up to check it out, they said it the transmission module was out of date and needed to be updated. They "updated" it and said they needed to drive the car for 50 miles without the light coming one. Apparently, they did and it all works fine.

Not sure what that means but the car is only a year old and I am worried as I have now seen several of these complaints online about the same exact thing. It was super scary running out of power on the highway. Any recommendations about how I should proceed?

- Kathleen O., Atlanta, US

May 082017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L Gasoline V6

Seems to shift rough and wonder if any damage was,done with low transmission fluid when driving.

- Wayne S., Polk City, US

May 272017

Cherokee

The same damn thing happened again with the transmission. This is the second transmission issue we have had on this Jeep in less than 2 years. I am so annoyed by this car. Once we can get this fixed and paid down more, we are getting rid of this hunk of junk. I will never buy another Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep ever again. Shoddy parts and never any ownership by the company.

- Shannon B., Dayton, OH, US

Jan 122016

Cherokee

We purchased this vehicle in December 2015. Before we had made our first car payment we had to have the transmission completely replaced. My husband was on the expressway doing 70 mph when the service transmission light came on and his vehicle immediately began losing speed. Luckily he was able to get to the side of the road.

The dealership had our BRAND NEW car for over 2 weeks while they waited to diagnose the problem and have a rebuilt transmission shipped from the factory. We drove this car off the lot we 3 miles on it. In less than 30 days we had to have the transmission replaced?! And not even a NEW transmission, a rebuilt one to go into our brand new car. Such crap! And the dealership didn't give a crap about it.

- Shannon B., Dayton, OH, US

Mar 122017

Cherokee SE 3.2L

round 2 with a transmission that doesnt shift. this time turning off the key does not reset the computer and i had to remove the fuse for 10min to be able to drive home. called dealer and was told i would have to wait almost a week till they could look at it. was able to get it in 2days early (tomorrow) and will see what they say

Update from Mar 16, 2017: picked up the jeep from the dealership today and was told i have a valve body on order (1.5 to 2weeks) because it is on back order. I was also told that if this dosnt fix it the time time will be a complete transmission

Update from Aug 18, 2017: Transmission took 5 weeks to replace. So far so good at 15000 miles. Seems to hold years longer and still has a "shimmy in 1st gear but at least it runs

- Michael M., Makawao, HI, US

Aug 112016

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

2016 jeep cherokee limited -- transmission issue.

I suddenly came to stop. thank god I was not on the highway.

- Rinjee S., Jackson Heights, NY, USA

Jan 172017

Cherokee SE 3.2L

Car locked into 4th gear and would only unlock when transmission was put into park and key turned off. Was told by dealer to continue driving it untill they had time to look at it 3 days later. even then it took them 30 days to get the parts and install them. the whole time i had to pull over and shut the key off every couple of miles. replacing the TCM lasted for less than 1000miles

Update from Mar 25, 2017: dealer called today, said on the test drive after replacing the valve body that the transmission locked up again and was so bad it required a tow back to the shop. FCA agreed to replace the whole transmission now and i "might" have my car back in about two weeks.

- Michael M., Makawao, HI, US

Sep 082016

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L

The transmission does not shift properly. I have taken it into the shop at least 4 times to get this problem fixed. They keep telling me its a software updates, but the rough shift or non-shifting starts again in about 3-4 day after I get my vehicle back. It shifts fine until 4 gear and then it does not shift anymore and grinds the gears.

- Erin B., Angier, NC, USA

Nov 182016

Cherokee Sport 4 cyl

NEVER EVER BUY A JEEP PRODUCT!! When I say never i mean it. From day one off the lot we've had transmission problems. Shifts for sh8t. Down shifts same way. Been into dealer 3 times and I get same answer, they can't duplicate the problem which is horsesh8t. My son in law drives these cars out of the plant in belvidere Ill. These cars I mean anything chrysler and Jeep with this 9-speed trans. He drove mine and in 1 mile he said the trans was not downshifting properly. But JEEP can't duplicate the problem,MY ASS. Stay away from everything with this 9 speed trans and stay away from jeep. I have corporate involved but waiting on answer. My dealer is more worried about getting their loaner car back than fixing MY problem!!!!

- Ronald K., Roscoe, IL, USA

Jan 122017

Cherokee Latitude

Since purchasing our Jeep Cherokee Latitude new in March 2016, we have had nothing but issues with the transmission. Our first visit back to the dealership to the service department to have the rough, jerky transmission checked out occurred on April 5, 2016, then again on several other occasions. The issue we experience is when shifting from reverse to drive or vice versa. At the point in which you shift from one to the other, the vehicle has a rough transition out of the previous gear and into the next. This has gone on since April 2016. Most recently, in January, besides the transmission issue that we have somewhat grown used to, my parking brake came on while driving. Fortunately, driving slowly. In addition to the transmission issue and the parking brake coming on while driving, I also frequently experience a delayed start when starting my vehicle.

During our January 2017 visit to the dealership, and after several "we cannot detect an issue with your Jeep" responses or "we did a flash update" which never result in any changes, I requested that they have a specialist from Mopar/Jeep come to the dealership to review my issues and try to come up with a solution.

Well, this finally happened this week (February 2017). However, the results I received were not satisfying or reassuring. I was advised that the transmission is working as designed - the rough transition between gears will remain as it is due in part to the way that the transmission was designed.

I have been highly dissatisfied with the purchase of our Jeep Cherokee Latitude. I feel like Jeep failed on ensuring that the transmission was functioning properly and that the vehicle is safe when it comes to my vehicle.

- Maggin M., West, TX, USA

Nov 222016

Cherokee Limited

This vehicle has had a total of 8 visits to the dealer for service in less than 6 months. 4 reports that the transmission is hesitating. It started acting up but was due to oil change so just had them check it. Seems to be getting worse so kept taking it back. When pulling out it feels like it's in neutral and then clunks in to go . Also happens after backing out of parking area and then attempting to go into drive and when decelerating or accelerating. Very scary when pulling across traffic. Never know if it is going to go or not. Dealer says, computer not showing any codes nor updates. BUT they NEVER actually drove the vehicle. Vehicle has come out with same mileage it went in with. Did not perform like this on test drive. Very scary!!

- Charlene M., Pine Grove, PA, USA

Nov 262016

Cherokee Sport

Jeep roadside assistance was helpful enough to select a towing company but was unable to provide alternate transportation assistance.

- Ryan J., Madison, WI, USA