ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2016 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems: transmission not working properly

Transmission Not Working Properly

2016 Jeep Cherokee (Page 2 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

7.1

2. replace transmission (3 reports)
  3. download latest software patch (2 reports)
  4. replaced transmission module (2 reports)
  5. repair coolant lines (1 reports)
  6. replace the transmission (1 reports)
2016 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Cherokee:

2016 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 012016

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L 4 cyl

bought new. automatic that shifts bad in first 3 gears. vehicle doesn't like to shift to higher gear going down hills. it stays in lower gear and rpm's go very high. one must accelerate to help it go into 4th.

- savitski, Peckville, PA, USA

Oct 182016

Cherokee Lattitude

car stopped and would not shift into reverse, r flashed an

This apparently is and has been a problem, a quick software update is probably not going to help and this will cost ME time, money and safety. Not to mention fear

- ellkav, Princeton, NJ, USA

Sep 302016

Cherokee Sport Altitude 2.4L

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DOESN'T SEEM AS SMOOTH AS WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT THE VEHICLE, DRIVING WITH MORE WHIPLASH FROM SHIFTING GEARS. VEHICLE ACCELERATES SLOWLY, BUT GEARS JUMP, SHIFT PRETTY QUICKLY, PERHAPS TOO SOON BEFORE REACHING PROPER SPEED (MPH). ACCELERATING OVERALL JUST DOESN'T FEEL OR SOUND RIGHT WHEN STOPPED AT A TRAFFIC LIGHT AND THEN ACCELERATING.

- marcelliott15, Woodbridge, VA, USA

Mar 062016

Cherokee Trailhawlk 3.2L V6

The jeeps transmission is just AWFUL, it jerks, it skips gears it get stuck in gear and at times it wont even engage. It's as if you are getting whiplash when it shifts and your not even in a crash, wich is a good thing i sopose, but for the cost of the vehicle it should not have this problem. It's been i the shop several times to NO AVAIL.

- Frederick W., Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Jun 292016

Cherokee ES

2016 Jeep Cherokee went in the shop for a week due to the service transmission problem coming on while on the highway (lost all power on the 75mph highway I was on-thank goodness I was able to get over to the shoulder before it completely died). Dealership replaced the transmission module and reflashed everything after 1 week there. Got it back yesterday and this morning lost all power again and the service engine light came on. Had it towed to the dealership. Very frustrating that you leave a vehicle at a dealership for a week and it breaks right after you get it back- a 2016 vehicle at that.

- k9beck, Amarillo, TX, USA

May 182016

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6

The transmission doesn't shift properly. The 1-2 shift, especially, causes a "wobbly" out-of-balance sensation that can be felt in the gas pedal, the shifter and in the seat of your pants. It occurs to a lesser extent on the 2-3 shift. The dealership thinks that it needs a software update.

Update from Jun 20, 2016: The dealership called and said that the software update fixed the problem. We'll see, when I pick it up tomorrow...

Update from Jun 21, 2016: I picked it up and drove it around for a while, and sure enough, the problem was still there. It was greatly diminished, probably by 75%, but still there. &^%^$#. Now what. I called the service manager and it was explained to me that I just needed to be patient with it for about 1000 miles until the software update "learned" my driving habits and became acclimated to this particular transmission. I remain skeptical. In any case, every one that I talked to there seemed very polite, concerned and committed to making sure that I was satisfied with the vehicle, and pledged to continue to dig deeper if the problem was still not resolved.

- dankess, Latrobe, PA, USA

May 082016

Cherokee Sport 3.2L V6

This 9 speed tranny is a junk. I wish I looked in to it before I brought the car. Some times it won't go into gear from park to drive, then it clunks into gear and is fine. Some times it slips and bucks.

- collinsct, Bristol, CT, USA

Jan 052016

Cherokee Limited V6

Drive shaft replaced twice, hesitation, rough shifting, right turn is bumpy and the first three or four gears are herky, jerky. It is getting worse after three updates...there must be a major problem because three updates already in a 2016!!!! It is to the point of dangerous because you cannot control the vehicle when it violently jerks after starting. HELP

- David H., Waukon, IA, USA

Nov 252015

Cherokee Sports 3.2L V6

I bought the car it was 54km, not a month after the transmission service started to came up and the Jeep had hard time to go on. We took off the key and everything was ok. Now it's been 3 month we have the car and it's been the third time I'm going to the garage for the same thing.

The first time, they said it was only a software problem ans they have updated it.

Second time, They have change a connector

Third time, we will see....

I'm so disappointed... thinking of going to KIA and sell this sh*t to get the new Sorento.

- adelaska, Maniwaki, QC, Canada

Oct 272015

Cherokee Limited Limited V6

transmission went nuts would not shift, run, at stop light

went to the dealer and the service guy said I needed to make an appointment.. Luckily I was not armed at the time. I went bersrek and said I just bought the car and no I did not have the extended warranty because it was brand flipping new and yes they were going to give me a car and fix my new car.. I left the service area to find owner, manager, or at least an intelligent pertson to explain what an idiot they had in service. The service manager coralled me and agreed his guy was an idiot and yes they would fix problem. We will see.

- BIll W., Golden, CO, USA