ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2016 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems: transmission not working properly

Transmission Not Working Properly

2016 Jeep Cherokee (Page 2 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

7.2

2. replace transmission (3 reports)
  3. download latest software patch (2 reports)
  4. replaced transmission module (2 reports)
  5. repair coolant lines (1 reports)
  6. replace the transmission (1 reports)
2016 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Cherokee:

2016 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 122017

Cherokee Latitude

Since purchasing our Jeep Cherokee Latitude new in March 2016, we have had nothing but issues with the transmission. Our first visit back to the dealership to the service department to have the rough, jerky transmission checked out occurred on April 5, 2016, then again on several other occasions. The issue we experience is when shifting from reverse to drive or vice versa. At the point in which you shift from one to the other, the vehicle has a rough transition out of the previous gear and into the next. This has gone on since April 2016. Most recently, in January, besides the transmission issue that we have somewhat grown used to, my parking brake came on while driving. Fortunately, driving slowly. In addition to the transmission issue and the parking brake coming on while driving, I also frequently experience a delayed start when starting my vehicle.

During our January 2017 visit to the dealership, and after several "we cannot detect an issue with your Jeep" responses or "we did a flash update" which never result in any changes, I requested that they have a specialist from Mopar/Jeep come to the dealership to review my issues and try to come up with a solution.

Well, this finally happened this week (February 2017). However, the results I received were not satisfying or reassuring. I was advised that the transmission is working as designed - the rough transition between gears will remain as it is due in part to the way that the transmission was designed.

I have been highly dissatisfied with the purchase of our Jeep Cherokee Latitude. I feel like Jeep failed on ensuring that the transmission was functioning properly and that the vehicle is safe when it comes to my vehicle.

- Maggin M., West, TX, USA

Nov 222016

Cherokee Limited

This vehicle has had a total of 8 visits to the dealer for service in less than 6 months. 4 reports that the transmission is hesitating. It started acting up but was due to oil change so just had them check it. Seems to be getting worse so kept taking it back. When pulling out it feels like it's in neutral and then clunks in to go . Also happens after backing out of parking area and then attempting to go into drive and when decelerating or accelerating. Very scary when pulling across traffic. Never know if it is going to go or not. Dealer says, computer not showing any codes nor updates. BUT they NEVER actually drove the vehicle. Vehicle has come out with same mileage it went in with. Did not perform like this on test drive. Very scary!!

- Charlene M., Pine Grove, PA, USA

Nov 262016

Cherokee Sport

Jeep roadside assistance was helpful enough to select a towing company but was unable to provide alternate transportation assistance.

- Ryan J., Madison, WI, USA

Nov 012016

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L 4 cyl

bought new. automatic that shifts bad in first 3 gears. vehicle doesn't like to shift to higher gear going down hills. it stays in lower gear and rpm's go very high. one must accelerate to help it go into 4th.

- savitski, Peckville, PA, USA

Oct 182016

Cherokee Lattitude

car stopped and would not shift into reverse, r flashed an

This apparently is and has been a problem, a quick software update is probably not going to help and this will cost ME time, money and safety. Not to mention fear

- ellkav, Princeton, NJ, USA

Sep 302016

Cherokee Sport Altitude 2.4L

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DOESN'T SEEM AS SMOOTH AS WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT THE VEHICLE, DRIVING WITH MORE WHIPLASH FROM SHIFTING GEARS. VEHICLE ACCELERATES SLOWLY, BUT GEARS JUMP, SHIFT PRETTY QUICKLY, PERHAPS TOO SOON BEFORE REACHING PROPER SPEED (MPH). ACCELERATING OVERALL JUST DOESN'T FEEL OR SOUND RIGHT WHEN STOPPED AT A TRAFFIC LIGHT AND THEN ACCELERATING.

- marcelliott15, Woodbridge, VA, USA

Mar 062016

Cherokee Trailhawlk 3.2L V6

The jeeps transmission is just AWFUL, it jerks, it skips gears it get stuck in gear and at times it wont even engage. It's as if you are getting whiplash when it shifts and your not even in a crash, wich is a good thing i sopose, but for the cost of the vehicle it should not have this problem. It's been i the shop several times to NO AVAIL.

- Frederick W., Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Jun 292016

Cherokee ES

2016 Jeep Cherokee went in the shop for a week due to the service transmission problem coming on while on the highway (lost all power on the 75mph highway I was on-thank goodness I was able to get over to the shoulder before it completely died). Dealership replaced the transmission module and reflashed everything after 1 week there. Got it back yesterday and this morning lost all power again and the service engine light came on. Had it towed to the dealership. Very frustrating that you leave a vehicle at a dealership for a week and it breaks right after you get it back- a 2016 vehicle at that.

- k9beck, Amarillo, TX, USA

May 182016

Cherokee Latitude 3.2L V6

The transmission doesn't shift properly. The 1-2 shift, especially, causes a "wobbly" out-of-balance sensation that can be felt in the gas pedal, the shifter and in the seat of your pants. It occurs to a lesser extent on the 2-3 shift. The dealership thinks that it needs a software update.

Update from Jun 20, 2016: The dealership called and said that the software update fixed the problem. We'll see, when I pick it up tomorrow...

Update from Jun 21, 2016: I picked it up and drove it around for a while, and sure enough, the problem was still there. It was greatly diminished, probably by 75%, but still there. &^%^$#. Now what. I called the service manager and it was explained to me that I just needed to be patient with it for about 1000 miles until the software update "learned" my driving habits and became acclimated to this particular transmission. I remain skeptical. In any case, every one that I talked to there seemed very polite, concerned and committed to making sure that I was satisfied with the vehicle, and pledged to continue to dig deeper if the problem was still not resolved.

- dankess, Latrobe, PA, USA

May 082016

Cherokee Sport 3.2L V6

This 9 speed tranny is a junk. I wish I looked in to it before I brought the car. Some times it won't go into gear from park to drive, then it clunks into gear and is fine. Some times it slips and bucks.

- collinsct, Bristol, CT, USA

Jan 052016

Cherokee Limited V6

Drive shaft replaced twice, hesitation, rough shifting, right turn is bumpy and the first three or four gears are herky, jerky. It is getting worse after three updates...there must be a major problem because three updates already in a 2016!!!! It is to the point of dangerous because you cannot control the vehicle when it violently jerks after starting. HELP

- David H., Waukon, IA, USA

Nov 252015

Cherokee Sports 3.2L V6

I bought the car it was 54km, not a month after the transmission service started to came up and the Jeep had hard time to go on. We took off the key and everything was ok. Now it's been 3 month we have the car and it's been the third time I'm going to the garage for the same thing.

The first time, they said it was only a software problem ans they have updated it.

Second time, They have change a connector

Third time, we will see....

I'm so disappointed... thinking of going to KIA and sell this sh*t to get the new Sorento.

- adelaska, Maniwaki, QC, Canada

Oct 272015

Cherokee Limited Limited V6

transmission went nuts would not shift, run, at stop light

went to the dealer and the service guy said I needed to make an appointment.. Luckily I was not armed at the time. I went bersrek and said I just bought the car and no I did not have the extended warranty because it was brand flipping new and yes they were going to give me a car and fix my new car.. I left the service area to find owner, manager, or at least an intelligent pertson to explain what an idiot they had in service. The service manager coralled me and agreed his guy was an idiot and yes they would fix problem. We will see.

- BIll W., Golden, CO, USA