ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

7.3

2. smoother shifting and a slight increase in mpg (1 reports)
2017 Jeep Cherokee transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Jeep Cherokee:

2017 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments

Mar 082018

Cherokee 2.4L

I HAVE A 2017 JEEP CHEROKEE 4WD TRAIL HAWK, NOTED FROM THE START AFTER BUYING IT, THERE WAS A BIG LAG WHEN ACCELERATING, THE RPMS JUMP WAY UP BUT NO PUSH, CAN RED LINE IT VERY EASY, AS IF THE TORQUE CONVERTER WAS SLIPPING. HAD A LOT OF NEAR MISSES ON THE HWY. ITS LIKE DRIVING A DEATH TRAP, REPORTED IT TO SALESMAN, WAS TOLD TO BRING TO SERVICE TO CHECK OUT. THEY SAID THE GUY ON TRANSMISSIONS WAS NOT THERE, GAVE A BIG TALK ABOUT THE CARS PROGRAM AND HAVE YOU DROVE A CHEROKEE BEFORE. CAME BACK AGAIN SAME SPILL, WENT TO RICHARDSON SERVICE, GAVE THE SAME SPILL ABOUT PROGRAM, SAID 2 WEEK WAIT FOR TRANSMISSION MECHANIC, THEY HAVE ONLY ONE. WENT TO DALLAS SERVICE CENTER, WAITED ALL DAY, CALLED AND SAID THEY COULD NOT DUPLICATE PROBLEM, THEY REBOOTED PROGRAM, AND UPDATED SOFTWARE. ASK TO SHOW THEM WHAT IT WAS DOING WHEN I DROPPED OFF AND WHEN RETURNED TO PICK UP, WAS NOT OPEN TO THAT. CAR HAD SAME PROBLEM NOT ANY DIFFERENT, I HAVE TO HAVE CAR FOR WORK. HAVE NO TIME BS. BATTERY WENT DEAD AFTER 18240 MILES, POPPING NOISE WHEN PUTTING IN DRIVE AT TIMES. SEEMS I BOUGHT A LEMON, AFTER READING ALL THESE COMPLAINTS SEEMS LIKE I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE. BIG MONEY LITTLE OUTPUT!!!

- Stephen J., Allen, US

Nov 232017

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L 4 cyl

Trans has a problem in which you're cruising at 55+ and you go to accelerate, you need to push the pedal to the floor before anything happens.

- seyster7, Algonquin, US

Sep 092017

Cherokee Trailwawk 3.2L

When driving my 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk in Yosemite, the transmission would not down shift below 4th gear even when I can to a complete stop. This has also happened when I was coming home from work, but the transmission would not shift below 5th gear. these experiences have occurred when in sport mode and when I had shifted back into Drive from the manual mode on a down grade in which I was using manual mode for engine braking. The issue is corrected when I turn the car off and open a door. The car is in the shop being worked on under warranty. I have been told it is the transmission housing??? The new part arrived yesterday. This is my second Cherokee; my first one was totaled by a UPS truck.

Update from Oct 17, 2017: Good news! The repairs were done under warranty and corrected the shifting issue. The fix was a new "valve body". I have also notice the MPG have increased a bit???

- mvidensek, Mariposa, US

Jun 202017

Cherokee

Stopped at a stop sign, pushed on the accelerator, but the vehicle just rolled out into the street. I was almost hit by a garbage truck coming the other way because the car wouldn't move. This is the third time this has happened and I'm getting a little nervous since the car is only 4 months old. I used to think this was the "safe" car for my teenage daughter to drive (out of the three vehicles we own). Not anymore!

In addition, the display screen has glitched on me already. Without touching anything, it connected to my phone and made a phone call. It wouldn't let me hang the phone up either on the screen or on my phone. The navigation always takes me a route that's longer than any other navigation i use (not that this is jeeps fault, but worth mentioning). The "voice" advising me that I'm speeding tells me the wrong speed limits. It tells me the speed is 45, when it's really 55, and has been that way for years. Very annoying.

My last four vehicles have been a Jeep brand vehicles (1 Liberty, 2 Wranglers, and 1 Cherokee). The Cherokee has been nothing but a let-down since the day i purchased it. I traded in a 2015 Wrangler for this POS, biggest mistake of my life! Stay away from the Cherokee, there's nothing good about it!

- nicktommadsky, China Grove, US

Jan 162017

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

Car shifts very well when starting up slowly and continuing at slow speeds, in other words, accelerating slowly through the gears. Starting up briskly say applying half throttle, the shifts are jerky and sometimes the trans does not shift where it would be expected to do so. I never know if I need half to full power acceleration whether the trans will handle the shifts in a smooth manner. This causes the driver to want to take it very easy when accelerating, yet the V6 engine and 9 speed transmission provide plenty of power for use when needed. I do not expect this type of performance with any car, especially a brand new one.

Brought the car in for this problem at about 1,500 miles. The trans software was re installed (this is the second time, the first was for a vibration problem). The service writer said "we drove the car 10 miles testing it and found no problems." So they are apparently used to this type of performance and think nothing of it. In fairness, there was some improvement in the problem, however, it remains.

- John G., Naples, US

Feb 032017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

I bought my Trailhawk Jeep Cherokee in January and after about only driving my car for only a month, as I shifted my gear from park to reverse in my garage my car started going forward instead of reverse. As I put my car back to park and again to reverse the same thing happened again. After struggling with going forward instead of backwards for another time, on the fourth time a notification popped on my screen telling me to shift the gear to park and then shift it back to reverse. But unfortunately this was not the only time that I struggled with my car trying to shift the gear from park to reverse. This problem has happen to me twice to me. Another major problem that I realized my transmission has, is that sometimes, when driving on a freeway, the gear does not shift and I can feel it being stuck and my speed was also stuck and as I pushed more on the gas my speed did not change. My belief is that the Jeep company has not solved its transmission problem and the 9 speed transmission still has some major problems.

- Kim B., Bellevue, US