Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Feb 152018

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle accelerated forward and the check engine indicator illuminated. The contact called a local dealer (twin city Dodge Chrysler, 650 sagamore pkwy S, lafayette, in 47905) and was informed to schedule a service appointment. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 154,197.

- Attica, IN, USA

Jan 012018

Takata recall my vehicle was in motion @ 75 mph on the high way when the transmission shifted itself into 3rd gear and would not shift out

- Siloam Springs, AR, USA

Nov 052017

The first time it happened I was pulling out into busy traffic from a side street. I accelerated quickly and when I backed my foot off the peddle the car continued to accelerate. I tapped the peddle a couple times thinking it was caught on the floor matt (not).it back off and then it did it briefly again before correcting itself. This was all in a 10 sec. Time period..... the second time it happened I was on the highway. I stepped down to pass a car and the peddle moved to the floor and stayed there for about 15 seconds, released and went to the floor again for about 10 seconds. I had my foot on the break trying not to hit other cars ahead of me. Everytime I lift my foot off the brake we went faster. Then it corrected itself again. I pulled off the road the second time and checked to make sure there was nothing on the floor board that might have interfered with the peddle but there was nothing. I was not using the cruise control in either occurrence. There was no accident but could have easily been. I did have a passenger in the car.

- Dallas, OR, USA

Oct 182016

The vehicle cruise control malfunctions: Now even pressing "set" at least while driving over 40 mph makes the vehicle accelerate fast even to 80 mph so I press brake pedal which does disengage cruise control. Even if you turn cruise control off and then back on it keeps on happening every time you press set. I disconnected power to the cruise control.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Feb 232017

My Jeep Commander will start accelerating excessively and will not stop until I disable the cruise control. This is extremely dangerous. The first time it happened I had to slam on the brakes and go into the ditch just to avoid a car.

- Claremore, OK, USA

Sep 032016

My Jeep didn't pull correctly, it back fire and wind. We took it to Chrysler to get it fix. The mechanic told us that the solenoid went bad... so were charged $405 for a converter, $357 for a solenoid, $7.75 for a sealer, and $3.60 for a nut none... total labor and parts $1930.31... today we go to pick it up, and it still makes the same noise and the problem worsen. We left it there to be fixed again... at the moment we are out of $2000, no car, and then had the nerve to tell me it was something else wrong with my car and it'll be $800 more to fix it. Needless to say, I told them I wanted to speak with the owner, he said he'll call me back.. not even two minutes later, he goes... "we'll take care of it...

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Nov 082016

The vehicle stalls in motion on both residential and highway and loses power steering. Cruise control once you set it acceleration occurs on its own this occurred on the highway. Ignition bumps out of the on position into accessory or off on it's own.

- Terrell, TX, USA

Jan 082008

Replaced bezel gear selector 3 times since 2006. As of September 2016 a 4th replacement is required per golling Chrysler. Vehicle attempts to stall after 1-2 seconds when starting from a stopped position. The check engine light illuminates and a service message appears stating "service park assist system." Several times from 2006 - 2016 the vehicle almost stalled when entering intersections of city streets. Whenever condition occured the part was replaced (3 times). Part causing the conditions is part# CH68004143-af prndl bezel gear selector and CH52108308-ac connector electrical (transmission). I believe the gear selector and transmission to be defective due to the frequent failure which could cause a safety incident.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Apr 152016

When driving my Jeep Commander it stalls. It happens when I am stopped and try to go or when I slow down then try and accelerate. My life has been at risk when this happens. One of the times I was driving on the interstate going 65mph and it stalled. I am extremely upset about this especially since I have a 2 year old son that is in the car with me.

- Goshen, IN, USA

Nov 122015

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While the vehicle was at a stop light, it accelerated independently. In addition, the contact struggled placing the key in the ignition switch and the key became stuck. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the failures were not occurring prior to the recall repair. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 17,500.

- Port Saint Lucy, FL, USA

Aug 012014

My Jeep Commander has a recall, I took it in right away and was told part not available. It has been over a year and still not fixed. The dealership says no parts in yet and its been over one year. One year and I have made multiple trips and calls to the rio vista California Chrysler dealership and their response is that Chrysler is to send me a letter when the part is available. Dealership is saying part not available. This is a safety issue and my children's safety comes first. I'm appalled at how this has been handled. I've been patient for too long.

- Rio Vista, CA, USA

Jul 072015

I was driving down the hwy and my vehicle turned off. I lost power steering breaks and was not able to properly maintain control of my vehicle in order to avoid an accident. This had happened twice before this time, and I looked to see that there was a recall on my Jeep for an ingition switch and the the exact discription of what would happen if my car was effected fit my situation. I then called Jeep and advised them of this and they said I neeeded to have it diagnoised by a Jeep dealership. I had the vehicle towed at my expensense and rented a car at my expense. The dealership confirmed my assumption and in fact the issue I was experiencing is part of the recall. Jeep now tells me they don't have the parts and they have not made a decision on whether it's neccessary to provide a replacement vehicle until they have a resolve. Am I supposed to be without a vehicle or potentially drive mine with 3 children, and potentially loose power again causing a loss of control" what I am supposed to do from here"

- University Place , WA, USA

Jun 172015

Was driving on highway and car went in to manual mode to neutral and will not come out of 3rd gear

- Hudson, NH, USA

Feb 072015

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

While driving the car shut off. No speed or power steering. This occurred on a busy road and a crash was avoided. I have called Chrysler and was told the recall parts are still unavailable.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Jan 152015

When almost stopped the engine revved up like the vehicle was power happened twice on Jan 15, 2015 and again on jan16, threw us forward and thankfully we had enough distance between us and the vehicle stopped at the red light in front of us that we did not hit it....I consider this a safety hazard. It makes me leery to drive when it is acting like this...we did not have any previous problems with the Jeep before this date. I reported this to Chrysler and they told me there was nothing they could do about it..I would need to take it to a dealer and have it checked out at my expense. We have not driven the vehicle since Jan. 16th.

- Everett, PA, USA

Jan 022013

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the park assist warning light illuminated and the vehicle suddenly failed to accelerate. In addition, the gauges failed. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) was received in July 2014. The dealer and the manufacturer were contacted on multiple occasions and was informed that the part was not available. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Collinsville , IL, USA

Aug 152014

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Bought this Commander 08/02/14, about two weeks after driving it. It started dropping out of gear and getting stuck in 3rd gear. And when driving on the highway it would completely shut down, I sent it back to where I bought it. For them to fix the problem being I haven't even made my first car payment. And the gave me a run around for two weeks saying they was waiting on parts. Then said they had it and had my Jeep for almost 4 weeks. Before getting my Jeep. Now its 01/02/15 and its doing it again. I cant make it back and forth to work. Or get my kids. With my Jeep stuck in third gear and dieing for no reason.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Dec 012014

2006 Jeep Commander idling up on its own and engine made a loud noise. The dealer informed the consumer, the noise was normal for a hemi engine. The consumer was then informed, the problem was the throttle. Also when it rained, the consumer discovered water on the driver's side floor. The dealer was unable to find a leak.

- Wilson, NC, USA

Nov 262014

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

While attempting to get on the highway the Jeep lost power at approximately 35mph from the on ramp on to the right lane of the freeway. All the lights shut off, all the gauges shut down, and the vehicle began to slow down. It lasted approximately 4-5 seconds, and after stepping on the accelerator, the Jeep re-engaged and was able to be driven to a safe destination. The Jeep is under recall P41 for ignition switch issues, which may or may not be causing the issues, but the parts are not available from Chrysler. The parts have not been manufactured and/or distributed. It is possible the vehicle has a bad control module. The recall for faulty control modules was issued Sept. 21, 2014 but this make and model was not covered in that recall... although it seems likely it is having similar issues.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 242014

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

As I driving down the highway I can be going between 40-60 mph and if I let off the gas and just coast and then give it gas again its like it is in neutral and it continues to do this until the car is going 20 mph or under and it is very dangerous it has caused me to almost have several wrecks and I have 5 kids which were with me in the car each time this has happened to me something needs to be done!

- Cadet, MO, USA