ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

8.7

$1,040

1. replace TIPM (15 reports)
2008 Jeep Liberty electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Liberty:

2008 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

May 152018

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

After having starting problems, lights randomly turning on and then windshield wipers turning on and not going off unless the ignition was turned off. I finally figured out it was the TIPM. Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep can kiss my ass. I will never buy another.

- David G., Manila, AR, US

Jan 052018

Liberty Limited 3.7L V6

The TIPM issue that is becoming a common electrical problem should be recalled. There are more and more cases being reported but corporate will not address or compensate its customers. I called corporate and spoke with someone explaining that I'm a loyal customer (3rd Jeep thus far) and at the very least be met half way with costs. I also asked about the lifetime powertrain warranty and if the TIPM should be part/included within the coverage.

Update from Jan 11, 2018: Mind you this all happened after I turned the car on and pulled out into the road. That's when the nightmare began. The car just went dark, all power went totally out. Here I am in the middle of the road holding up traffic. Not to mention, it was -10* degrees outside. Now, not only, did I not have and power, in the middle of the road but I also had no heat. I did call for an emergency roadside assistance ( through the extended warranty) but it took them four HOURS!!! to get there. BRRRR!! While I waited I did what I could to resolve the issue but to no avail. I had a two month old battery in the car, checked it and it had 13.8vdc. It wasn't the battery! So I knew then a jump wouldn't help. Now I had traffic really screwed up. This issue should be deemed dangerous. This could happen at anytime even while driving causing you to lose control of your vehicle. NOT GOOD CHRYSLER!! HELP NHTSA!!! ITS UP TO YOU. YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!

- iscn911, Chicago, US

Oct 012017

Liberty 3.7L

Car turns off, doors unlock, wipers turn on and off, when starts makes a noise, radio changes by itself ...it is awful because I'm scared every time that I go to drive. And I need solutions please.

- Ninfa T., Pasadena, US

Dec 072017

Liberty Limited V6

My TIPM went out on my 2008 Liberty, a few weeks ago, windshield wipers turned on by themselves, horn blowing by itself, the Jeep doesn't turn off even when the key isn't in the ignition, also the hazard lights turn on by themselves. It's gotten to the point that the Jeep stopped in the middle of the road while I was driving. This is a very dangerous malfunction that cost a lot to fix and it isn't covered under my extended warranty. Chrysler should have recalled 2008 -2012 Jeep Liberties also.

- Lisa D., Atlanta, GA, US

Feb 032015

Liberty Limited 4L V6

Multiple times prior to getting my Jeep fixed the horn would start honking, windshield wipers going, washer fluid spraying out, door locks locking and unlocking and the stereo system would just go crazy. When it happened with my husband driving it we checked with the dealer and they said this could not happen. The date listed we were at the hospital for surgery and left the vehicle for valet to park, the vehicle was running and the valet closed the door to write up our ticket and it went nuts again doing all of the above listed items but also locked him out. Unfortunately we did not have our spare set of keys with us that day and had to have it broken into before it ran out of gas. What a nightmare. Right after that last incident we looked the problem up on the internet and found several other people were having the same situation, we went back to the dealer and demanded it be replaced. They replaced it and now a year and a half later weird things are starting to happen again, I am ready to be rid of this nightmare.

- Nancy B., Deer Park, WA, US

Jul 182016

Liberty

Horn stated honking while on the freeway, windshield wipers, car spraying. Turned off car and restarted, went straight home. Next time was at the Starbucks, horn goes off and windshield wipers and spray starts squirting. Quite embarrassing and expensive. These cars cost so much money and than have to pay this. $1000. I am still waiting to pick up my car and hope it doesn't go higher. They have had my car for two weeks.

- Theresa W., Huntington Beach, CA, US

Jul 012016

Liberty Limited 3.7L

First off, this issue is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS! It's already been to the dealership and all they want to do is beat around the bush and will not replace the TIPM! The dealership claims to not have a device to properly test the TIPM, and says its other parts causing the issue. My jeep's lights won't work correctly, my horn constantly blares, I've spent almost a hundred dollars on windshield washer fluid because those constantly spray, and it's beginning to ruin parts inside of my vehicle!

Today the fuse box was so hot it could have been on fire! Why is this not recalled?! So many people are having this issue, and the dealership refuses to replace the part in fear of having the record of it being replaced! We have spoke to cooperate as well and nothing is being done. All it takes is the TIPM freaking out causing a fire, or headlights to fail and causing an accident or death. This needs to be taken seriously!

I love my Jeep to death, but to take my Jeep to the dealership to "fix" this issue, spend over 600 dollars to replace a melted cord and a burned out fan motor for ac/heat that could be causing these issues is a freaking joke, when the faulty TIPM caused the wire to melt!! Can we PLEASE GET A RECALL!!

- a.rad42891, Hiram, GA, USA

Feb 192015

Liberty Sport4x4 3.7L

Happened at work as soon as I pulled into my spot. My car was on, and with my door opened I pressed the door lock button, lights dimmed. I had no idea how bad it was until I left. All power locks ceased working (only way to open, or lock the doors is with the key, and only one key slot on car is a pain). The Jeep was thrown in 4 wheel drive, low, tow, uphill, and traction control mode. The display was lit up like Christmas. The washer fluid only worked for the rear wiper, clock spring got a surge and quit working (airbag), the tailgate, and rear window won't open (stuck locked). The check engine light will not go off before I turn the ignition over, as well as the little electrical symbol flashes before I start the car. The fuse for the power door locks fries as I put in a new fuse, so I tried putting one in with battery disconnected, fried as soon as I connect battery. Brand new battery dies long before warranty (yay free battery), but it's constantly being drained. No relays are bad. $800 just for a part, that from what I hear is just going to crap out again, I don't think so. Why has the tipm on this vehicle not been recalled??

- Jason S., Arlington, TX, USA

Apr 272016

Liberty Sport 3.7L

I purchased my 2008 Jeep Liberty in Oct 2007 and have had nothing but problems with it since the first day I drove it off the lot. I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro wiring harness on it and a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee belt. I love my jeep but since calling Chrysler over the last few weeks trying to get this resolved I am ready to get rid of it. Now I have a TIPM/fuse box problem that has been recalled on the Chrysler 300, Dodge Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee and Chrysler Caravan but they won't recall the Liberty or Wrangler or Dodge Rams. It is unsafe and Chrylser wants people to come out of pocket for defective equipment with the understanding they MIGHT reimburse if they deem it necessary! Chrysler offers no help with towing or anything as my vehicle is now just sitting in my driveway going on day #5 that I can't drive it. I have never been so disappointed in a company as I am with Chrysler and have decided I will never buy from them again which is sad because I've always loved and driven their products. I could really say more but it's all personal feelings so I'll just leave the complaint to warn others as it is.

Update from May 26, 2016: Update on Jeep, it IS the TIPM even though the dealer tried to find anything and everything else wrong but that. Cost me $1185 to get a factory defect fixed. I have been in contact with Chrysler again and have submitted reimbursement papers so now I wait. I have also contacted the NHTSA and The Center for Auto Safety with this update. Stay aware people, this is a very serious and dangerous issue.

- Jennifer B., Marietta, GA, USA

Apr 112016

Liberty Limited 3.7L V6

Problems with security system. Alarm going off & you could not stop it. Wipers front & back going, horn blowing, lights flashing.

Replaced the battery with a new one, even though it tested good. Replaced the battery in key fob. Tried using the key to lock & unlock the door & not arm it.

Sometimes it worked then all of a sudden it would start while the car was in motion & I was driving. The lights in the dash flashing except for the D because I was in drive clicking sound at the gearshift inside the car when I put it in park.. Some times after driving a few blocks it would stop. This went on for several weeks.

Ended up taking it to the dealer after driving several miles one day & the only way it would stop was disconnect the battery. Took it to Brenner dealership in Mechanicsburg on 4-26-16, they could not get it in until 5 -4-16.Replaced module totally integrated tipm. They claim they replaced tipm cleared D codes & test drove rechecked for codes all ok. Picked the Jeep up 5-6-16 around 6:30 pm.

When l stated the engine, I heard on ding sound like if you did not fasten seat belt, put turn signal on to turn onto the highway & the signal way clicking very fast but working, My husband was driving in front of me only a block down the street & noticed my driving light was out, so we pulled into a shopping center to check the lights, We would going right back to the dealership & a car was backing out of a parking space in the shopping center & did not notice me & I went to blow the horn & it did not work ,almost got hit, but, he noticed in the nick of time. Went back to dealership & they said well its not safe to drive you must leave it.

This is a very scary situation, and I have a little part time job that requires me to travel between accounts with in 50 mile radius.

- eangell, Gettysburg, PA, USA

Nov 012015

Liberty 3.7L V6

I first bought my car in 2013. Everything was great then towards the end of the year I got in the car to take the kids to school and the car just went crazy. The horn started honking, the lights started flashing, the windshield whipers were skipping all over the place while spraying all the fluid I had, the doors were locking and unlocking. We are trying to jump out the car but can't get out. It has happened about 4 times since then. Nobody could figure out what was going on until earlier this year. Of course this issue is not covered under my warrenty and the mechanic wants to charge me $600 to fix it. Now I have no choice because the air bag light is on, my main headlights don't work (just flashes then nothing) only my baby brights. Christine (what we decided to name her) has been on her best behavior for a while but it seems everything is shutting down. I'm going in today to see about getting this TIPM ordered but was told it's going to take a few days. As I look all over the internet this seems to be an issue for a lot of people. Why hasn't this part been recalled? I mean....my headlights don't work because of this issue. My airbags probably won't work now because of this issue. If this isn't a hazard I promise this will be the last time I deal with Chrysler.

- Aesha F., Euclid, OH, USA

Nov 012015

Liberty

My problem is with my door locks, and I took it to the dealership and they are telling me I need a new TIPM the cost for repair could be 800 dollars or more. This is ridiculous, now I am seeing online that this is an ongoing issue for Chrysler. Should this be a recall item? I have already replaced the ECM which cost me over 800 dollars. I saw online I could purchase this part in the United States for less than $200.00, but would still have to take the car to the dealership to be programmed. This I believe is a rip off.

- isabellewis, Wallacetown, ON, Canada

Sep 162015

Liberty

Horn blaring, all wipers and fluid going crazy, locks going up & down, blinkers out of whack...yes, a possessed Jeep. Chrysler already has a law suit and recalls on TIPMs. They know this problem exists. Just look up the same descriptions on www....I found hundreds of complaints. Yet the Jeep TIPMs have not been recalled. WTF!!!

- Sherry C., Chattanooga, TN, USA

Mar 082014

Liberty Limited 3.7L V6

I bought the Jeep March of 2014. Upon purchase from Larry H. Miller Used Car Supermarket. I told them there seemed to be an odd noise coming from the front end. I was assured by the salesman as well as the finance guy that it was caused by over-sized tires. Bull Crap! The tires were different from the standard factory but nothing that should cause such a racket while driving.

I asked if I could have my boyfriend, who is a certified mechanic, look at and call them for the repair. They agreed. I called a few days later after finding that not only was there an issue with the front end, but the horn didn't work, buttons on the steering wheel didn't work, and a row of buttons down by the shifter, including hazard lights didn't work. I was told that the Jeep passed safety inspection upon being sold, but how can that be true if the horn didn't work. I was told that it worked when it passed. I got upset and let them know that they will fix it because it is a safety violation, and who checks to see if the horn works when buying a vehicle? Probably no one, especially if one is told the vehicle passes the safety inspection. Needless to say they fixed it all, the horn, buttons and front end, at no cost to me.

Almost one year later, March 2015 the horn and buttons stopped working again. I WAS LIVID! I went into the service department and told them what was going on and asked for the write up of what was done last time. The service tech, in his write up stated that they repaired the TIPM module well enough to get it to kind of function, but that ultimately it would need to be replaced. I was never informed of this. So I asked them what could be done since they didn't really fix it the first time. After a long headache, we came to the agreement that I would pay for labor and they would pay for the part. Excellent! After almost a complete day at the dealership I finally had my Jeep back in full functioning order. This time I asked for the full write up before leaving.

September 2015 I traveled out of state, while driving down the freeway I went to honk my horn, only to find it wasn't working. It worked just a few hours prior. I called the dealership as soon as I was able to, spoke to the service manager and explained what was going on. He told me that it sounded like the TIPM module again, he stated that they would warranty the part and fix it.

I took it in a week later and was then told that they would need to diagnose and make sure that it was the TIPM module. I would need to pay a diagnostic fee and then pay for the fix if it wasn't the TIPM module. Of course it ended up not being the TIPM module and I was told that it was going to be a minimum of 300 dollars in labor, plus the 100 diagnostic fee for today, and then whatever part needed to be replaced. I told them that I was told it was the TIPM module and that I wasn't prepared to pay that much and felt completely ripped off.

If it wasn't the TIPM module this time, how do we know it wasn't something else all along? And if they were going to fix it for free this time, of course magically it wasn't the warrantied part and they were now going to get more money out of me. Needless to say, it's still not fixed.

- Emily C., Tooele, UT, USA

Jun 152009

Liberty

The TIPM has replaced twice and reset once by the dealer. I have approximately 57,000 miles on the vehicle. The last time it replaced, the dealer only charged me $50. Apparently, Chrysler paid the rest of the cost, several hundred dollars.

- Kelly F., Schnecksville, PA, USA

Nov 132013

Liberty 3.2L

Horn, lights, wipers, radio goes off and the motor shuts down. No one seems to know the problem until I went on the ChrylslerProblems Website.

- Mark K., St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 242015

Liberty

When I unlock the doors with my key fob or I can be driving down the road or sitting at a stop light, the horn honks continuously for 30-45 seconds and the windshield wipers (front and back) turn on full speed while spewing all of the washer fluid out. The dealer says they cannot assess the problem because they cannot "recreate" the event. This is very dangerous while driving! I have taken it to the dealer 3 times for this since buying the jeep 7 months ago.

- Melissa J., Seminole, FL, USA

May 242015

Liberty Sport

Car started acting crazy, horns, windows, lights went off. Later my power locks quit working, which also doeas not allow me to open the back. Local dealership tells me the TIPM is bad and causing the problem and to top it off it's not covered under the extended warranty. Now I see Chrysler has recalled the TIPM but not on 2008 models. WTF!

- Edward R., Thonton, CO, USA