ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: On August 16th, 2012 Jeep stopped production of the the Jeep Liberty, marking the end of a troublesome journey for the SUV.

All in all, the 2012 Liberty actually excels off-road, but since 99% of drivers never take this thing off pavement, that becomes somewhat of a moot point. The Liberty suffers from the worst fuel economy in its class (16/22 MPG) and offers an uncomfortable ride with suspect braking ability.

8.0

$1,100

1. replace TIPM (3 reports)
2012 Jeep Liberty electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Liberty:

2012 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jul 062018

Liberty Sport 3.2L V6

All dash lights are on. No AC works while issue happens. All gauges drop to zero. Can't see speed limit. Very dangerous! Needs immediate recall!

- Eric O., Livonia, MI, US

Mar 152018

Liberty Sport $Wd

I bought this as a used vehicle from Star Pontiac in Easton, PA two years ago. Within a week I noticed the driver's side window would work intermittently. I made the rep. aware and he was like well just bring it in and pay the $100 deductible and have it fixed. I had just dealt with having repairs done on my old vehicle just to have it towed to a junk yard so money was tight and I didn't get it repaired. I don't use it anyway. So, a bit ago I go out, open the car with the FOB, get in it and start it up. My son comes out and the door is locked. I tried to unlock it every way possible but the locks wouldn't work. I manually opened it for him. Then I noticed the front wipers worked but the washer won't come up. I contacted the dealer and after paying them $128 they told me the TIPM is bad and needs to be replaced but that also while diagnosing the vehicle now the drivers side headlight will not turn off. I contacted Jeep about this and the answer was oh well, it's past it's warranty so the expense will have to be out of pocket. This past Saturday, after the Jeep was overheating based on the gauges and since finding two leaks of anti freeze, it was determined that the heater core is bad also. Amazing sh*t! My father has been a mechanic and my brother is now also, a combined 95 years of experience and neither of them have heard of these two issues going wrong with a vehicle. I am angry, frustrated and wish there was something that could be done. If you know of information regarding these issues or a possible lawsuit for them please feel free to contact me.

- Melody H., Easton, PA, US

Jan 262018

Liberty 3.7L V6

I got a green arrow, pressed the gas and it went to the floor and all the panel lights come on and it stalls briefly and comes back on its own (didnt need to turn ignition). As I'm driving, I realize I only have rear wiper fluid. I reach my destination and I couldnt turn my headlights off. I got an estimate from the dealership of almost $1,200 USD to replace the TIPM.

In the mean time, I have been unplugging a battery terminal any time I am turning off my car for more than a few minutes. If i don't, the lights are always on and kill the battery. I had to purchase a portable jump starter ($100 USD). I have to pop the hood every time i start and shut down my jeep, and I don't have front washer fluid, power locks (can't open back hatch). The platinum warranty from the 20 dealership chain where I bought my jeep had just expired. so I spent $125 USD for the diagnosis.

Now that I see the massive scope of this TIPM issue, which includes my vehicle, I am hoping Chrysler will help me out. Like many thousands of other Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep drivers, my vehicle isn't covered under the giant class action lawsuit over these TIPMs. I cannot work and until I get disability, I have no way to take care of this B.S. and other ppl w/ the same problem as me are getting it fixed via recall. I was driving to the hospital for treatment when it stalled. Afterwards, I had to wait for a jump.

Update from Apr 19, 2018: headlight burned out last week. new bulb smoked and melted in hours. next bulb went dark in hours. sounds electrical...

today, the liberty wont start at all. gotta get it towed and fixed.

- Dann M., Buffalo, NY, US

Jan 182018

Liberty V6

This is 2nd time the TIPM is a problem. The first time the horn keep beeping. It was under warranty and replaced, Now the doors will not lock and occasionally the automatic lights do not work. Apparently this has been an issue for 15-20 years and not been fixed. The whole module has to be replaced if one sensor/component goes bad. I was told even if replaced there is no guarantee it will no happen again.

- Karyl L R., Lyndhurst, US

Feb 142016

Liberty JET 3.7L

Vehicle will not luck from key remote or button in the car then 1 day later the front window washer stopped working. Very hard to drive with no window washer after it has snowed out

- Diane V., Acton, ME, USA