ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2015 Jeep Patriot engine problems: engine stalls/dies while driving

Engine Stalls/Dies While Driving

2015 Jeep Patriot

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

9.2

$490

2. replace crankshaft sensor (2 reports)
  3. replaced ABS module (1 reports)
2015 Jeep Patriot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Patriot:

2015 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Oct 012018

Patriot Sport

When my car hit 50k miles it started to start stalling while I was driving. the more I drove the more it stalled. I was so scared of having an accident. My local garage found no codes. Took it to the dealership where I bought it and had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment. They repaired it yesterday and said the code for the ABS Module came up so they replaced it. And of course my car is 3 years old this month so the regular warranty is up and this was not covered under the powertrain warranty so meant no loaner vehicle either. The repair cost $775 and I drove it today to work and so far so good. I have seen so many other Jeep complaints with the same thing and they did recall 2016 Jeeps with the exact same problem.

- Debra W., Eighty-four, US

Sep 262018

Patriot 4D Sport Utility 4 cyl/2.0L

This vehicle at around 25,000 miles begins to stall and then shuts down. After about the fifth incident, it will not restart immediately. After 50 mins. it will start, but I had to immediately drive home or it will stall out again. Every place I have taken it will not attempt repairs unless the check engine light is on. I am still under the factory warranty of 3yrs/ 36,000 miles, but they will not touch the vehicle. The run around is very frustrating. I am currently continuing to resolve the problem. At the present time I do not fell safe in the vehicle.

- Darryl W., Reynoldsburg, OH, US

Jul 162018

Patriot

On going issue with Jeep Patriot stalling out while driving or while pulling away from a stop light/stop sign.

Stalling out first occurred a year and a half ago. The issue is so intermittent and the only pre warning is the vehicle starts to shake or act as if the accelerator is pressed then released repeatedly. Engine light comes on and the ETC light comes on, the car stalls out completely and I have to coast to the side of the road. Restart the engine and as soon as I try to pull away from the shoulder of the road, it stalls again.

This vehicle is a death trap! Every time I get behind the wheel I don't feel safe driving it. How could I feel safe driving it when I'm trying to exit my place of business onto a road with a 55 mph speed limit, stall out and almost get hit by another vehicle. I have reported this issue multiple times to the dealer and they act as if they have never heard of the issue or when I take the vehicle in, the issue isn't occurring and they can't find anything?

I call BS!! I've read multiple posts on complaint websites and in Jeep forums about this issue. Jeep needs to step up and admit there's a serious problem and correct it before I or someone else gets seriously injured or killed. Sad thing is I'd love to get rid of it but no dealer is going to give me decent trade in value for this POS so I'm stuck with a car I'm terrified to drive.

- Kristie C., Crosby, US

Jun 252018

Patriot

June 25,2018 I notice that my vehicle would lose RPMs while driving, but it had only been a few times that week. The next week it progressed to everyday once in the morning to twice a day and then stalled in the middle of a road by the end of that week. Currently it's at the dealership (12Jluy 2018) where I bought it, nothing shows up on diagnostic check, but the vehicle still stalls/ loss rpms while driving. Service department has been unable to fix it.

Update from Aug 15, 2018: Well had the crank shaft sensor changed about 10 days ago, the truck appeared to be driving better with just a slight semi jerk. Then 13 August its stalled again at a traffic light, put it in park, started it and the engine light came on...(that was the first time the engine light illuminated). Stopped by auto zone and it coded crankshaft position sensor A circuit malfunction.

Now the dealership tells me that only one of the crankshaft sensors was changed... It has two ??? Maybe I misunderstood them, don't know... but we are now going to repair it again... Wish Me Luck !!!

- Trina M., Upper Marlboro, MD, US

Nov 182017

Patriot High Altitude 2.0L

The car stalled on two occasions, each while pulling out into traffic. We were very lucky to not be involved in an accident!

- Kimberly T., Fort Myers, US

Feb 152016

Patriot Sport 2.Ol 4 cyl

Honestly my car stall this happened in Aug last year i was driving on the hwy. and my car start slowing down and i had to pull over due to noise and car did not move. i park it and put back in drive. Well I was able to drive on.

I drive my car almost daily. Then a few months later it happen again only this time i was leaving the airport with a customer in the car i press the gas it stall i had to stop and place back in park and then place back in drive. This problem have occur a couple more times there after. Also when going up hills and turning the corner the car jerks and like it kicking off or just something is stuck Even times when you start the car to driving it jerks

and not sure where the noise is coming from when on the expressway I have to play my music up a little more to the being on the street. When first searching for problems with my car there was no issues but now it see I am not along with this problem. My car is very costly with issues. And funny thing is my cousin have the same car and she have issue too.

- belchaney51, College Park, GA, USA

Nov 162015

Patriot ES 4 cyl

The service department at the dealership called and told me that the crankshaft sensor is bad and needs replaced. I told him i was a little alarmed that the part had gone bad so quickly and asked if he had seen other jeeps with this problem. The service guy told me he has replaced many of them and they fail frequently. I asked if there was a recall or if the part would be replaced with the exact same part which would likely fail again based on his information. He said there is not a recall and that the replacement part has the same part # but had been updated to solve this issue. I think I was smelling a little BS at this point. The next day, today, he called to inform me that the replacement crankshaft sensor they received is faulty and that they had to order another one. Being that it is friday they did give me a loaner car. Thank God. I am fearful that this piece will continue to fail and may fail once the car is out of warranty. In my opinion, Jeep needs to address this. I am not finding much online about others having this problem but based on the service guy's reaction when I asked if he had seen this before I am guessing there are many issues with this part.

Oct 212015

Patriot ES 4 cyl

Same problem that happened on Oct. 13th. While driving at highway speed the car just died then came back on. I'm really getting worried about this. It is so intermittent that I don't think the dealer will be able to reproduce the issue. Hoping it fails for more than a split second so I can get it fixed.

Oct 132015

Patriot ES 4 cyl

While driving on the freeway the car just died for a moment. All the gauges went to zero, radio shut off, and engine died. It was like the key was not in the ignition at all. Only lasted a second and the car came back on while still in motion. MAKES ME SCARED TO TAKE ON A TRIP WHERE I CAN GET STRANDED IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE IN GOD KNOWS WHAT WEATHER CONDITION.

Aug 062015

Patriot Sport

click to see larger images

engine stalls/dies while driving

I was driving and my jeep just shut off. this happened about 4 times in the matter of about 1hr. I was so afraid to drive I don't know what is going on. try ed looking it up on the net and nothing I'm hoping it gets fixed or they can tell me what happened

Update from Aug 8, 2015: so I'm driving back home from the Espanola dealership who could not replicate the issue after only driving my Jeep 4 miles I'm just barely making it into Taos and my Jeep is stalling out again I'm going to make an appointment to take my Jeep in to the original dealership in where I bought it for now I guess I have to just keep hearing off the road with my Jeep I'm wondering if it is not an issue with a heat sensor I don't know what's going on it's just a bummer I have to pay so much money to get this Jeep for a reliable vehicle and now I have a brand new not reliable vehicle

- ona_montoya, santa fe, NM, USA