ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

8.2

$1,340

1. replace TIPM (19 reports)
2010 Jeep Wrangler electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Wrangler:

2010 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 162018

Wrangler X 3.6L V6

Signals, windows, locks won't work. Vehicle will sputter and shut down due to fuel relay not working w/in. The thing controls everything. Just do the right thing.

- Brian W., San Antonio, TX, US

Sep 222017

Wrangler Unlimited V6

Approximately 18 months ago we began having problems with the battery dying when not started every 24 hrs. The alternator was replaced, problem not resolved. Then the thermal coupling was replaced and that seemed to resolve the issue for about 6 months. However the car was being driven very regularly again.

Beginning in July 2107 the draining battery problem returned even when the car was driven regularly. 2 new batteries were installed. The dealer told us that the constant drain and recharging probably destroyed the cells!! Obviously NOT the problem!! But the batteries were warrantied so at least there was no out of pocket expense there. In August I received a recall on the jeep for faulty air bag clock spring. Interestingly the vehicle was in an accident involving front end damage to the car from another vehicle making a left turn in front of us . The other car sustained extensive damage, the jeep minimal but the important thing is the jeeps airbags never deployed.

I brought the jeep back to Security Doge/Jeep Amityville NY for the recall and to diagnose the ever draining battery problem. After several days I was told the TIP module was faulty. I was charged $863 99 for the part and 424.99 labor. plus tax the total repair was $1400.16

The vehicle was picked up on 9/22/17. After sitting for 2 days, the vehicle did not start! After charging the battery again it was returned to Security Dodge dealership on 10/02/17. The service dept stated they could to find anything additional wrong with the vehicle and suggested we again replace the battery and disconnect and after market light bar. The problem was happening for 12 months prior to the installation of the light bar! But we did as suggested and picked the vehicle up at no charge from the dealer. on !0/21/17. At least they didn't attempt to collect another $189.00 diagnosis fee!!!!!

I personally picked up the vehicle. Thinking it best to drive it and see how it runs I opted to drive this car to a friends house approximately 20 miles away. Approximately 10 miles into the journey all of the dashboard lights came on, ABS, traction control, ESB. I continued on my way, by the time I arrived at my destination the vehicle was smoking from under the hood on the passenger side with a strong burning smell. The vehicle was flat bedded back to Security Dodge in Amityville where it remained until 11/04/17. The dealership advised that they were able to diagnose any problem. It passed NY state inspection. Again I picked up the vehicle and drove it approximately 9 miles when the same dashboard lights came on. I returned immediately home. It was Saturday evening an the dealership was closed. I started the vehicle today and the lights were off. I drove the car 9 miles when again the lights came back on. It now sits back in my driveway. I am now 2 months without my vehicle and over $2000.00 in repairs that have not fixed the problems . Please help!

- Kathleen M., Lindenhurst, US

Sep 062017

Wrangler Unlimited 3.2L V6

One day the head light stop working all a sudden. The next day wiper turn on by itself. Sometimes the honk on by itself! I think there's a ghost in my car!! Turn out the damn TIPM is faulty!! This is a known issue for Chrysler yet they choose to ignored it!! Are they waiting for an accident to happen in other for them to fix this issue?!

- gamer-1, New Westminster, BC, Canada

Aug 102016

Wrangler Sahara 3.8L

Let's see where do I start? TIPM ... Totally Integrated Power Module. First you have to look up what this is b/c your mechanic will say you need a new TIPM for $800 plus installation and can't gaurantee this will fix the problem. YIKES! What exactly is a TIPM? ""Think of the TIPM like a command center for all the electrical functions of your car. Want to turn on your wipers? That has to go through the TIPM. Need the fuel pump to turn on after you turn the key? You’ll have to run it through TIPM first.

It’s the nerve-center of your car’s electronics and it distributes power to everything from safety to ignition systems. That means it’s very important. It also means when something inside the TIPM goes wrong, you’re better off taking the bike to work.""

I got that from another site, basically that is what it is and its functions. So if there are so many issues with this POS then why isn't Chrysler/fiat footing the bill? IDK. I do know that I tried to buy one aftermarket (b/c I"m tired of disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it- this makes the "tipm" reset) then they tired to get one over on me and say that I needed another TIPM (there is more than one?BS! ) and it would be another $500 added to my already $230.00 order. NO! NO! HELL NO! Refund time! I asked for my money back ... they tried to say I had to pay a restocking fee (for something I haven't even received yet? GTFOH!) of 25%. I told them if they didn't refund me fully I was taking them to court that my daddy is a lawyer and some other bs I made up. I got my FULL refund. Still not TIPM.

A few months have gone by, I'm still opening the hood and disconnecting the battery to reset this damn thing. My aunt laughs at me b/c she thinks it's funny. She drives a Ford and never has had any issues like I am having with this jeep aka HEEP! I did, finally, instal a battery quick disconnect. I still have to open the hood though. @#$%^&* I am going to install YET another toggle switch inside, so I do not smash my hand again. My jeep is lifted 3" on 35" tires and I'm 5'4". Its a pain in the ass to do this every time I start this piece of sh*t esp. when I'm dressed nice and have to touch my dirty vehicle. (can't always have it clean). WHY will chrysler not fix this????

- Sherry M., Virginia Beach, VA, US

Jun 162017

Wrangler Sahara 3.2L V6

The vehicle horn stopped working after the clockspring/airbag recall was performed. Subsequent dealer visit claims that the TIPM needs replacement ($1200+).

- Jon M., Madison, MS, US

Apr 192017

Wrangler Sport 3.0L

Wipers will not turn off, blinkers will not work, dash board lights flash

- lcarson, Winona, US

Mar 032017

Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 3.8L V6

JEEPS NEEDS A RECALL ON THIS TIPM. EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK ITS TIPM CAUSING POWER LOSS.

- Erin K., Saint Augustine, US

Jan 032017

Wrangler Sahara 3.8L

Results in varying electrical issues including headlights spontaneously turning off WHILE DRIVING to random wiper activation, tire pressure sensor faults, etc.

- Bill M., Chalfont, PA, USA

Aug 012016

Wrangler Rubicon 3.8L V6

Headlights do not work at all. Horn would sound for longer than I pressed it.

- Garrett P., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Dec 012016

Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 3.8L

Passenger headlight stays on constantly on high beam... never shuts off. The pump for the windshield washer in the front does not work, but the wipers do. The power door locks are non functioning. The remote start does not activate as well as the locks from the factory remote.

Here is my biggest problem with all of it, it is dangerous. I can see from many forums that this is a regular problem, and I consider myself a little lucky because my vehicle is still operable. I have to unplug the battery to keep the headlight off and from draining the battery. The vehicle is really no longer safe to drive because I am not able to clean the windshield (this is a pretrip requirement during a CDL inspection). Not only that but the constant highbeam is disruptive to other motorists. I really wish Chrysler would recognize this is a recall problem as many people have more problems than I.

The dealer tells me the part is $862 plus tax. Programming it costs $60. They didn't share with me the labor cost, but I am sure it is a few hundred as well. I am guessing by the time it is done, I could be as much as $1500. Not a cheap repair, and because programming the module is necessary, not even a repair I can do myself. So, if you are going to require me to take it to a dealer to get it repaired, at least cover the cost of the labor and programming.

Update from Dec 12, 2016: After finally getting it into the dealer today (Dec 12 - 11 days after initial problem) had to replace TIPM. Also, because of problem, also had to replace headlamp and washer motor. Total dealer cost was just over $1600. Awesome expense... not.

- Victor P., Elgin, IL, USA

Sep 212016

Wrangler Sport Umlimited 3.8L

Use Jeep on mail rout all of a sudden lights, buzzers came on. Transmission locked in limp mode, took it back to Cumberland Dodge in Crossville Tn ( where purchaed with extended warranty ) they said TIPM was out & was not covered by warranty & $ 2000.00 to repair, Could not afford repair cost at that time , limped it home parked it in driveway , next day husband proceeded to move out of driveway for more parking space & when placed in reverse electrical smelling smoke boiled up from under hood & mid underneath , Husband quickly removed battery cable & inspected Jeep, The main transmission wiring harness was melted, I talked to dealer where purchased & was told bring it back , After about week I call dealer & was told transmission shift modules has shorted out & they would repair it , after be fixed about week I called to check on repair & was told it was not covered under warranty & needed app $4000.00, Still could not afford to fix. I called Chrystler Corp & was told they would personally see it was fix in a week or less, Call dealer 1 week later & was told they know nothing about this & it would NOT be fixed under warranty . LIE LIE LIE ! & Runaround is all warranty covers !

- josiejf53, Jamestown, TN, US

Oct 312016

Wrangler Sport V6

Just purchased this Jeep a few weeks ago and, even though we knew the TIPM was a known issue, we thought perhaps it would not surface for a few months or years. Well 2 weeks ago, the check engine light started beeping. A few days later, it would not start. Then today the dashboard lights started flashing & beeping and a few minutes after that, the engine stalled. Although I was able to restart it, 10 minutes later it stalled again & I could not restart it & nothing was coming on - no hazards / lights / engine lights. Another 10 minutes and I noticed the lights were back on so I tried to start it again . Engine tried to turn over but unfortunately it didn't start. Waited another few minutes & it finally started. Was able to drive it home & am not going to make the appointment to get the TIPM replaced.

Jeep needs to own this problem and make it a recall. Its terrifying knowing that I could have been on the highway when the car died.

- Stephanie M., South Pasadena, FL, USA

Sep 192016

Wrangler Unlimited

Had normal maintenance done on Jeep at local dealer. They said a Flash Update was needed. After update, things started going wrong. Called dealer and they said bring it back in so they could look at it. I told them I would be off in 2 days and i would bring it in. Motor started missing at times. ?Wouldn't start one morning until i tried several times. Next day, it totally died. Drove great for half the day. Shut it off at gas station and then it wouldn't start back up.

Had it towed to local jeep. They say TIPM is bad and it fried my starter. They say it must have been bad before the update and the update just "found" the problem.

Now, it needs a $1206.80 TIPM and a $187 starter. $1800 to get it back on the road.

I am thinking their update to the computer caused something. But, they say $1800 or come get it!

- Danny D., Jasper, AL, USA

Sep 172016

Wrangler Unlimited V6 3.8L

On Saturday, September 17, 2016, my jeep wrangler began bogging down. Would barely pull itself. By the time I left the post office and headed home, the jeep was stuck in second gear. On Monday morning I took the jeep to the dealership that I purchased the jeep from and they said they ran the codes on it. They said it was the TIPM and to replace it would cost around $1000 and my warranty didn't cover it. Imagine that!!!!!!! A warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on nor the ink it takes to sign it. I've had the jeep for a year and it's been nothing but trouble ever since.

- hardingtn, Jamestown, TN, US

May 312016

Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 3.8L

A new JK owner and find out 1 week into my purchase that TIPM is bad and this is an ongoing and well known issue with Jeeps definitely not a good look for a 1st time Jeep owner. Was told the part is on back order and there is no definite date when it may become available. Meanwhile my Jeep remains at dealership 700 miles away from my home

- daddee724, Memphis, TN, US

Dec 312015

Wrangler Unlimited Sport

Starting in December 2015 I noticed that when trying to rinse the road grime off my front windshield I wasn't getting any washer fluid. Figured it was empty...it wasn't but it was low so I added to it. Still no washer fluid. The rear washer works perfectly fine. The Front will not spray at all. I replaced the washer pump...still didn't fix the problem. Took all the tubing off, checked all connections...no clogs, cracks, or leaks.

Around the same time I noticed my doors would not lock when using the key fob. I realized this when asking my son to grab something out of the Jeep and the alarm went off. Figured it was a fluke. I don't live in a horrible neighborhood but I lock my doors all the time, and then forget I locked them. When hitting the lock button on the key fob it will activate the alarm but the doors will not lock. Using the door lock buttons in the jeep do not lock the doors either...will only unlock. Now anyone can open my jeep and set my alarm off which could cause my battery to go dead if I hit the lock button on my key fob. Or I can leave it unlocked and have people rummage through it freely. What's the better of the two evils?

Now I have to replace the TIPM which costs roughly $500. I only found out this was the issue after doing month's of exhausting research and trial and error fixes which cost me even more money. I find it ironic that this same part was recalled on the 07-08 Wranglers and this is still an issue, or perhaps, even worse than before.

- zmccullough, Colorado Springs, CO, US

Oct 202015

Wrangler Sport 3.8L

Headlights and marker lights would not shut off unless I disconnected the battery. Windshield wipers would randomly come on and not shut off. Changed out the accessory switch and that didn't fix anything. Changed some fuses and the problem seemed to be resolved. The next day my jeep wouldn't start. Jumped it without a problem, and halfway down the road all of the dash lights started flashing. Jeep died while slowing down for a red light and would not start. Called a tow truck. Once the jeep was on the tow truck it decided to start. Checked over it for bad grounds and wires and found nothing. I did not experience the problem again until March 6th, my accessory switch would not work, headlights would not shut off, windshield wipers would come on with the fog light switch and the fog lights light on the dash would flash on and off. Headlights would shut off when I shut my jeep off so I dealt with it for a few days and eventually the problem went away. Hoping this was the last with my TIPM problems.

- Mariah T., Hubbard, OH, USA

Feb 042016

Wrangler

click to see larger images

TIPM faulty

This is a bad location to ground wires, you left foot has to hit it a lot thru the years

loose ground wires on the side panel next to the brake pedal

- Tim M., Mobile, AL, USA

Jan 182016

Wrangler Sport 3.2L V6

My wipers will not go off and I am in lockout (the car will not come out of park) and lights will not shut off, plus there is no electrical dash components working (turn signals, speedometer, mileage, etc.). I called Chrysler and they deny that there is an issue. Is there anything I can do?

- Russell S., West Haven, CT, USA

Mar 052015

Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 3.8L V6

Bought this vehicle 1 1/2 years ago and having the vehicle 6 months. it was taken to King ExpressLube to have the oil and filter changed, in which, the wrong oil filter was put on car resulting in a blown engine. King Express Lube paid $7,000 to have new engine repaired and vehicle was towed to North Point Jeep dealership where the engine was replaced.

Every since then, the vehicle has had problems with just not starting. It has been towed to the Jeep dealership numerous times with them saying, " we can' t find anything wrong with it". So we would take it and wait on it to break down again. 11/3/2015 vehicle would not start again, was again towed to Jeep where they kept it two days, releasing it again with "we can't find anything wrong". Was advised by service manager to carry a " hammer" and tap under starter area and see if that will work! Really?!

So again 11/20/2015, vehicle once again would not start and jeep was notified. They sent a tech to the site where he said that he finally figured out what it is! Said its the TIPM... Which is not covered under warranty and they can order part and fix it for 900.00! So spoke with them on the phone today in regards and they say this problem/part isn't under warranty. I have a problem with this if they know it is faulty and have no morals to replace the part. The service manager agreed but said he couldn't do anything.

Very tacky business practice. Just a shame they didn't check this first instead of letting us be without a vehicle for days at a time numerous times, knowing this was a faulty part! I love the Jeep Wranglers but have no desire to buy another Chrysler with this type of stuff happening and them not standing behind their products!

Thank you for listening to all this ridiculousness!!!!

- Shannon H., Tobaccoville, NC, USA