9.5

2016 Kia Optima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Kia Optima:

2016 Kia Optima Owner Comments

Jul 052019

Optima LS 4 cyl

BOUGHT TWO CARS USED FROM SMITHHAVEN USED CARS IN MEDFORD, LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK. I DROVE IT FOR 5000 MILES AND TOOK IT IN TO HAVE OIL CHANGED AND THE DEALER TOLD ME IT WAS 4 QUARTS LOW. I HAD HIM CHANGE IT WITH SYNTHETIC OIL AND LEFT. THE SAME THING HAPPENED EVERY TIME I HAD THE OIL CHANGED. I WENT TO A KIA DEALER WHO TOLD ME THERE WAS NOTHING HE CAN DO. NOW I AM AFRAID TO DRIVE THE CAR

- Raymond P., Nesconset, NY, US

Aug 302018

Optima 4

Bought this car used because Kia has a 60k mile drive train warranty, and since the car only had 16k miles on it, sounded like a safe bet. Shortly after we bought it, we noticed wiff's of black smoke out of the exhaust, and that the car used oil - slightly under a qt per 1000 miles. I couldn't believe it, a car with this few miles burning oil. Figured it wouldn't be a problem since it has plenty of warranty left. Well, boy was I wrong.

Took it to the Kia dealership (who wants to help, but are required to follow Kia's guidelines), and they did the oil consumption test. Kia's decision was that it uses less than a qt per 1000 miles, and that there's no "engine knocking", that it's perfectly acceptable. This car will not pass an emissions test if taken in the morning, because of the smoke that it emits, but Kia finds this to be ok? This car is hypothetically always low on oil, but that's not a warranty issue according to Kia.

This car obviously has ring problems, or valve seal issues, but Kia won't repair it. I can't believe it. I also own a Nissan with about 200k miles on it, and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. On a scheduled oil change, I will have burned and replaced about 3 of the 5 quarts. This is total insanity that Kia thinks there's nothing wrong with this car. I'm furious with Kia about how, in my opinion, they are NOT honoring their warranty.

- Thomas S., Daphne, AL, US

Nov 302018

Optima

The car stutters and acceleration is awful, mainly on highway. Car has stalled a few times and completely shut off randomly. Had the recall for drive shift and it seems like it didn't work. Car feels like it shifts gears on its own and not at the correct times. Then a month ago, the car completely shut down with no warning. Every light came on and it took a few times to turn car over. Went to the garage and there was not a drop of oil in car. Since, the car has been burning oil rapidly and is back in the shop today. I am leasing the car and I am beyond annoyed with this. My 3rd Optima but this year model is not good.

- Erin F., Warwick, RI, US

Feb 252017

Optima LX 2.4L

Hi got this 2016 kia optima 2.4 auto trans new iv always been a vw person because I worked on European cars but there warranty was sad and I got a good deal on this and more options so I thought well ill try a kia boy I'm mad. Car has 2881 miles on it now everything has been fine but at 26xx miles the car was half a qt low on oil figured ok brake in what not. Now I'm at 2881 and it's another half qt low. Kia says to change the oil every 3700 miles. I have not even mead it to the first oil change and already used 1 qt of oil not ok my 2002 jetta with 200k doesn't even use any oil between oil changes. Iv checked the kia over top to bottom there is no loss of oil on the outside of engine. I called kia where I got the car from trying to figure out what the dealer says it can use talked to some guy that had no clue what was going on kept telling me 5.1 qt had to keep telling him that I didn't need to know how much oil it holds. Anyways long story short got to talk to someone and they told me 1 qt per 1000 miles. What are you kidding me so up to 3 qts per 3000 miles I'm sorry but if your car uses that much oil there is a leak or something is not right inside the engine. If it keeps it up I'll be dropping it off at the vw dealer. I mean what about people that don't know about cars you get a new car you shouldn't even have to open the hood but to put washer fluid in

- Dan A., Osceola, US