7.2

$290

1. replace window regulator (10 reports)
2016 Kia Optima windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Kia Optima:

2016 Kia Optima Owner Comments

Jan 042021

Optima LX

3rd window to replace whole window regulator inside the door. Thought it was an electrical problem starting at the drivers door, to driver's rear to passenger rear. Had the drivers rear replaced and the next day the passenger rear stopped going up. 485.00 each time it has been replaced.

I've come to find out it's the cheap plastic gears inside that keep getting eaten up on each window. This really pisses me off because I drove it for a work car for years and rarely used the back windows. No reason for those to go bad with the amount of use they got. It's a manufacturers defect and the only place to get the very expensive parts is from Kia.

- Ken M., North Port, FL, US

Jun 112020

Optima EX

NOW THIS IS MY 3RD WINDOW REGULATOR GOING OUT IN 2 MONTHS!!!! KIA still says $150 to do a diagnostic check - part is at $275! But now I gotta do it x3.....So you're at $825 and that doesn't include labor! Can't find the part anywhere, obviously I'm not the only one with this issue. No aftermarket parts - mechanics are saying don't buy it used, you're going to be back at square one in a matter of time. KIA refusing to call it a recall - it's wear & tear! I'm a solo single driver and live in Florida where we believe in the AC not windows being down! Now I'm very frustrated!

Apr 272020

Optima EX

WAIT AGAIN???? A DIFFERENT WINDOW - 30 DAYS APART! Now the rear window on the passenger side won't go up. Got stuck half way up. Immediately knew it was the window regulator. Drove into KIA service center and they said "kind of a common problem" and if they want me to have them look at it, it'll be a $150 deposit towards any work they do.

Mar 252020

Optima EX

REAR DRIVER'S DOOR WINDOW WON'T GO UP OR DOWN - Very strange and odd at first, I never have passengers. I barely even roll down the back windows - probably 30 times the whole time having my car, as the original owner starting at 7 miles on the odometer. I can hear the motor in the window, at first thought it was the switch and then discovered it was the window regulator after a few searches. Suggested part price $275 and that's without labor.

Jan 302020

Optima EX 2.4L 4L

SO my drivers side window is the only window that works, ive never had a car where all but one window regulator goes out with in months of each other. i live in florida so my windows are usually always up considering the heat down here. no kids no pets. wtf kia?

- Jennifer L., Lakeland, FL, US

Mar 172020

Optima LX 2.4L

Window #1 of that has had the regular break. Again, you have to replace the entire panel to solve the issue of the window falling down.

- Norma R., West Palm Beach, US

Aug 042019

Optima LX 2.4L

Ok, so this is the fourth of 4 window regulators that has failed in the last 7 months. Each window's regulator had to be replaced. I replaced the part myself and is easy to do. It cost 250, but the only thing broken was a small 3 inch cog which would have cost a few bucks if they sold it separately to the entire plastic panel it attaches too. Total waste of plastic and time and money.

Jul 102019

Optima LX 2.4L

Ok, so this is the third of 4 window regulators that has failed. I replaced the part myself. It cost 250, but the only thing broken was a small 3 inch cog which would have cost a few bucks if they sold it separately to the entire plastic panel it attaches too. Total waste of plastic and time and money.

Apr 102019

Optima LX 2.4L

Ok, so this is the second of 4 window regulators that has failed. I replaced the part myself. It cost 250, but the only thing broken was a small 3 inch cog which would have cost a few bucks if they sold it separately to the entire plastic panel it attaches too. Total waste of plastic, time and money. Very poor quality parts

Dec 102018

Optima LX 2.4L

This is the first of 4 window regulators that has failed. It failed just after my warranty was up and it I replaced the part myself. It cost 250, but the only thing broken was a small 3 inch cog which would have cost a few bucks if they sold it separately to the entire plastic panel it attaches too. Total waste of plastic and time and money.

May 252019

Optima

3 of my power windows are now not working. The rear passenger side wouldn't roll up about 5 months ago, then a few weeks ago the rear drivers side, and today the passenger side window. Each door and the driver door make the sound of trying to work up and down but the windows will not move. I had to hand pull the windows up and use suction cups or door stoppers until I can take it in. In watching some YouTube videos on the subject it looks like more than I can handle. These windows were in no way abused by kids playing around with them or any type of misuse, I am single, no kids and live in Florida where I barely roll my windows down and prefer using the A/C. I suppose it will be a matter of weeks before the drivers side door does the same. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Update from Jul 25, 2019: My car is going to the dealership tomorrow for 4 new regulators. The lady said you should of brought it in sooner, my reply was "yeah that would of been 4 separate appointments and 4 separate pains in my...." Anyway I am grateful the warranty covers it, but who is to say this won't just happen again.

- Sherry P., Saint Petersburg, FL, US

Oct 012018

Optima

I'm now on window #3 of the mechanism not working. The dealer has replaced them but I've never heard of or experienced 3 window mechanisms going on 1 vehicle. I asked them to check the last one and supposedly they did.

Jul 012018

Optima

This is now the second window mechanism that has stopped working on my vehicle.

May 012018

Optima

Its very frustrating that the window mechanism stops working

Apr 012019

Optima

It is now all 4 window mechanisms have gone on my vehicle. I'm super pissed because the Dealer supposedly checked the last window mechanism to verify that it was working correctly.