- November 30: Kia Carnival Recall Issued For Sliding Door Problems recalls | 5 days ago
- November 25: Hyundai and Kia Car Thefts in Milwaukee Cause Lawsuit news | 10 days ago
- November 20: Hyundai Sudden Acceleration Petition Alleges 8 Fatalities investigations | 15 days ago
- November 20: Kia Sorento Oil Pressure Switch Recall May Be Necessary investigations | 15 days ago
- November 7: Kia Optima Hybrid Engine Recall Announced recalls | 28 days ago
Kia Engineering Analysis EA09017: Air Bag Occupant Classification System
2008 Kia Sorento
Air Bag Occupant Classification System
Air Bags:Frontal:Sensor/Control Module-Inactive
- The Sorento's front passenger air bag may be turned off when an adult is seated in the passenger seat. The front passenger air bag is designed to be turned off in limited circumstances including when children and small adults are seated in the front passenger seat, there is a child restraint in that seat, or the seat is not occupied.But the Sorento has misclassified adults sitting in the passenger seat.This causes the passenger side frontal air bag to deactivate and the "PASSENGER AIR BAG OFF" light to illuminate. On May 12, 2009, Kia launched a Technical Service Bulletin campaign (SC076) to address this problem, installing upgraded occupant classification system (OCS) software in vehicles built prior to the 11/27/2007 production date. ODI and Kia identified 908 owner reports and 927 warranty claims related to this OCS issue.Kia also reported one crash where the passenger frontal air bag did not deploy in a frontal crash due to misclassification.Testing of Sorento vehicles built prior to December 2007 shows that misclassification can occur.As of April 2011, Kia reports that approx. 46,000 of the 57,228 vehicles have been upgraded with the revised software.On September 6, 2011, Kia submitted a defect notice and will recall the affected vehicles that have not been upgraded.Owner notification is scheduled to start in late-September 2011.The recall will upgrade the OCS software.Accordingly the investigation is closed.
- Documents (19)
- DEFECT PANEL - PANEL REVIEW MEETING. * 08/11/2011 * P
- OPENING RESUME APPROVED * 11/19/09 * p
- STEPHEN SELANDER FOR IEE 3/3/2010 LETTER TO ODI
- IR TO MFR - RE: PASSENGER AIRBAG OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM (OCS) MISCLASSIFICATION IN CERTAIN MODEL YEAR KIA SORENTO VEHICLES. * 02/16/2010 * p
- IEE 3/24/2010 ATTACHMENT 1 - RESPONSE TO QUESTION 1
- IEE 3/24/2010 LETTER TO ODI WITH REQUEST 3 & 5
- IR TO MFR - Response on behalf of IEE SENSING, INC. AND IEE S.A. regarding the February 17, 2010 Information Request from NHTSA.
- IR TO MFR - To investigate allegations of improper operation of the passenger air bag system.
- IEE 4/9/2010 ATTACHMENT
- IEE 4/9/2010 LETTER TO ODI
- HYUNDAI-KIA 1/11/2011 LETTER TO ODI
- MFR RESPONSE EXTENSION * 05/12/10 * P
- HYUNDAI-KIA 5/19/2010 LETTER TO ODI
- HYUNDAI-KIA 5/19/2010 ATTACHMENT CONSUMER COMPLAINT
- CLOSING RESUME APPROVED
- MFR IR RESPONSE DATA
- HYUNDAI-KIA 5/19/2010 ATTACHMENT PRODUCTION DATA [ACCESS DATEBASE]
- HYUNDAI-KIA 5/19/2010 ATTACHMENT CLAIM DATA [ACCESS DATEBASE]
- HYUNDAI-KIA 5/19/2010 ATTACHMENT TECHNICAL, CONSUMER & LAWSUITE ASSISTANCE DATA [ACCESS DATEBASE]
Click a tab for more information.