2003 Nissan 350Z suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan 350Z:

2003 Nissan 350Z Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Apr 082008

350Z 6-cyl

Action Nissan in nashville, tn has replaced damaged front tires at least twice, and I have now replaced damaged front tires at my own expense. The effect of Nissan's alignment/suspension problem is not isolated to tire damage. Action Nissan attempted to correct my vehicles' alignment/suspension issues, but my car continued to experience issues related to abnormal tire wear and a pull to the right. Nissan did not offer a permanent solution for the alignment/suspension problems of my automobile, and I continued to experience damage to my front tires and misalignment/suspension effects. To protect any new tires on my vehicle, and to permanently correct Nissan's manufacturer defect on my vehicle, I had repairs performed with 3rd party parts, an eibach front alignment kit. The original configuration of the front factory 350Z does not allow for such adjustments, and the eibach kit allows for common front alignment adjustments that can easily compensate for the alignment/suspension problems. The installed parts, along with new tires, balancing, and alignment/suspension has total cost of $1087.04. I am including documentation of all itemized costs below: Tires'''''. $288 front align kit' $394.87 parts total''... $682.87 2X tire mount'. $10 2X tire balance... $30 align kit install.. $270 front alignment.. $59.95 subtotal'''' $369.95 labor tax@9.25% $34.22 labor total''. $404.17 grand total''. $1,087.04 the proposed Nissan class action settlement covers only a fraction of the costs to permanently correct the alignment/suspension problem experienced by countless Nissan 350Z owners. My objection is that Nissan should offer a permanent solution to correct the manufacturer defect in the alignment/suspension of 2003/2004 350zs, which causes tire damage and other misalignment/suspension side-effects resulting from the inability to properly align select 350Z vehicles. I duly swear to all facts presented in this document.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jan 122007

350Z 6-cyl

I have a 2003 Nissan 350Z which I purchased new from selma Nissan in July 2003. The vehicle has had the front tires replaced by the dealer three (3) times, averaging 17,000 to 19,000 per set of tires. Each time the dealer has re-aligned the front end and assured me that the problem has been taken care of. Each time that the vehicle has gone in for this problem, the vehicle experiences severe front tire noise and steering wheel shake, especially during low speed and braking. Both front tires display excessive wear to the inner edge of the tires rendering them unserviceable. To Nissan credit, they have acknowledged the problem and have re-aligned the front end and replaced the last three sets of tires at no cost to me. The car was taken to the dealer today (01-12-2007) with the same problem. The dealer said they will contact the manufacturer to see if replacement will again be authorized. Whether or not Nissan covers the replacement isn't really the issue. A modern vehicle that wears out four sets of $600 tires at under 20,000 miles each obviously has a problem that should result in a recall. Nissan is apparently unable to repair this defect, and the car is not only unsafe, but has a very low resale value.

- Hanford, CA, USA

Oct 022005

350Z 6-cyl

I bought the car used in 5/05 with 15,000 miles. Tires appeared new when purchased. Car is only driven in the winter, I had the "roaring" noise and vehicle shaking effect roughly 5 months later. I brought the car to the dealer and told them about the issue. Their solution was to replace the front brakes and rotors for almost $400. I did not notice the problem again until a relative drove the car in the spring of 06 and thought I was crazy because I was apparently ignoring the roar and shake of the vehicle when traveling at speed under 40 mph. I replaced the rear tires at the suggestion of my local garage for over $500 yet the problem persisted. I now have to replace the front tires for another $500 or so and the car only has 32000 miles. I have read the numerous (hundreds) complaints written about this problem and this is just ridiculous. Why should Nissan's shoddy engineering be my responsibility to fix? go to www.nissantireproblems.com and register for the class action suit......

- Dracut, MA, USA

Feb 102006

350Z 6-cyl

Bought 2003 Nissan 350Z used in 2/06. Keyes woodland hills Nissan of ca sold me the car with both front tires worn down to the wire on the inside rim. They still have not disclosed or acknowledge the alignment/tire feathering problem. Its been 12000 miles & I need new tires. This is very costly & I would never have bought this car knowing about this.

- Canoga Park, CA, USA

Feb 022005

350Z 6-cyl

My 2003 Nissan 350 Z continues to "eat" front tires. I have replaced the front tires 4 times and aligned once in under 12 months. My last set lasted a whopping 2 months and two days! I notified Nissan of the problem in February-05, July-05 and twice in September-05 and have not received a return call as promised. Nissan said they had "no" recalls or complaints of front tire issues during the first two calls. In August-05, I received a letter from Nissan stating they were going to extend the warranty for front end alignment and possible replacing the tires for 03 & 04 350's. but as I was told in two earlier phone conversation, they knew of no problems. Apparently during the month of August they decided to check into the complaints since they knew of none earlier...right! the letter states "Nissan is truly dedicated to your satisfaction"! Nissan has not shown any signs of dedicated to 350 Z owners. I for one! looking in this site, I have found over 70 complaints on this problem. It's time to do something.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Jul 012004

350Z 6-cyl

Nissan 2003 350Z - tire cupping, roaring and vibration. Nissan issued a bullitan to replace the original Bridgestone front tires and complete an alignment with 7000M due to a factory suspension/alignment problem. The Bridgestone replacement tires have 9000M and the problem is reoccuring - tire cupping, roaring and vibration. The car is unstable on curves and braking. Nissan will not replace the front tires a second time and refuses to acknowledge there is a factory defect with the suspension. This defect is noted to have been corrected on the 2004 350Z. Nissan dealership is recommending a full tire replacement without any compensation on their part or correction to the suspension problem to see if the four tire replacement will correct the problem. (why would this correct the problem when the problem occured at 7000 tire mileage and again at 9000 tire mileage) I am pursuing every avenue to an equitable resolution to this Nissan factory defect. Preferring a permanent fix..

- Avon Lake, OH, USA

Mar 012003

350Z 6-cyl

Excessive tire noise was noticed, took to dealer and found inside of front tires had worn away. Dealer re-aligned suspension and replaced front tires. Later, tire noise was noticed again along with pulling to right. Took to dealer and inside edge of front tires had worn away again, tires were replaced again and suspension re-aligned again. Right front suspension "compression rod" replaced due to pull. Tires continue to wear excessively along both inside and outside edges. Tires wear out in less than 10,000 miles. Once tire noise becomes severe, straight-line stability is affected at highway speeds. Tires could fail due to premature wear if vehicle owner does not inspect tires for inside edge wear at abnormally frequent intervals.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Dec 282004

350Z 6-cyl

My 2003 350Z's tires were replaced by the dealer at 16,000 miles. I recognized the problem right before the recall. Now at 27,000 miles I have the same problem with the back tires/alignment. I've been told by the contracted tire dealer which my Nissan dealer sends it's work to that the problem is with the alignment on the 2003 model and the problem has since been corrected on the 2004 model. I'm told that to avoid the improper wear on the tires (cupping) that I should have the alignment checked every 3-6 months. I was told that other than the tire noise(which when noticeable means serious improper wear), another way to tell that this cupping is happening is to put the car up on the rack. Also, the car starts to have traction/handling problems. The problem cannot be seen in a visual check when the car is on the ground. I called the Nissan headquarters and filed a complaint, but was told there was nothing they could do. At 27,000 miles I got the rear aligned and had to purchase two new rear tires. There is so obviously a problem that Nissan is choosing to ignore.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Nov 182004

350Z 6-cyl

My 2003 Nissan 350Z has experienced tire/feathering on both front tires. Nissan replaced both @ 17,000 miles at no charge to me. Then @ 12,000 miles on 2nd set, same problem exists. Nissan says they will replace, but the dealer says tires are on back-order till April 2005. They offered no "buy back", or loaner. I could not wait till April 2005, so I traded the 350Z. I traded because after my warranty period was to expire @ 36,000 miles, I would have had to pay approximately $600 per set to replace at 10,000 to 12,000 miles. The feathering of the tires made for very little traction, especially during rainy conditions. I also took quite a hit (trade-in was $6,000 less than kelly blue book). Nissan should be responsible for selling me a lemon>

- Danville, KY, USA

Dec 012004

350Z

My front tires were replaced on my Nissan 350Z after only after 18000 miles, with a realignment after Nissan recommended in the bulletin release released this year. Now after 33000 miles on my vehicle I am having to replace once again the front tires on my vehicle due to improper wear on the tires, the same as what happened at the 18000 mile replacement time. Obviously there is something wrong with 350Z front alignment. Is there a class action lawsuit against Nissan for defect of the front alignment, as I am not the only one this is happening to, and how to I go about joining the lawsuit?

- Naples, FL, USA

Jun 222004

350Z

Complaint received via E-mail."I have so many problems with my car. The tires wore out within 7 months. I took to the dealer to get it fixed. I ended up replacing two tires. That was in June. September I experienced the same problem. Less than a year, my car has had 5 alignments and two sets of tires. I contacted the Nissan consumer affair specialist, no one wanted to take care of the problems. The car is believed to have a manufactured defect. The dealership has informed me that lots of problems with this model car has been reported. I can not drive my car anymore because I am scared the tires might blow up.

- Lexington, TN, USA

Jul 282004

350Z 6-cyl

I own a 2003 Nissan 350Z which I purchased new. The carS tires began to make a loud noise, which I noticed around 2500-3000 miles. The noise was gradually increasing in volume as I added miles to the car. I took the car to the dealer at approximately 6500 miles when the noise became unbearable. The dealer re-aligned the front wheels and replaced the tires to address a "known problem" with alignment for which Nissan had issued a service bulletin. I now have just under 14,000 miles on the car and have just delivered the car to the dealer to address the problem once again as the issue was not resolved by the alignment and tire replacement. The dealer was unwilling to align or replace the tires and claimed the warranty fix was a one time fix. I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs, and now I will be provided with an alignment and new set of front tires under an extended coverage Nissan is calling "2003 350Z front wheel alignment warranty extension". this warranty extension is addressing the same problem that I already asked them to fix under warrantee last year. The problem should be covered under the original warranty because it first appeared during the warranty period and was not fixed by the action taken by the dealer. This is a known problem with many of the 2003 350ZS. Nissan is addressing the symptoms rather than fixing the problem in order to buy time. The problem is much more significant than a simple alignment and tire replacement. They are using deceptive practices to skirt around the problem in order to avoid developing and implementing a true fix for the issue. Under the "2003 350Z front wheel alignment warranty extension" my extended warranty expires two years from the in-service date of my vehicle. That is October 2004 for me. At that point I will be stuck with a defective car that wears out very expensive tires in a fraction of the normal tire life with no means of recourse.

- Amsterdam, NY, USA

Sep 062003

350Z 6-cyl

Experiencing an unresolved tire wear problem with 2003 350Z that I purchase new in February 2003. The front tires have been replaced and alignment performed twice on the vehicle. When the tires are examined, they have an irregular wear pattern on the outside edges of the tread. Although Nissan has issued tsb ntb04-043 on 4/12/2004 and extended the original warranty to two year / 30K miles, I do not believe there is a long term solution that will result in front tires lasting significantly longer than the current unacceptable 10K to 12K miles. I view this issue as reducing the serviceability / reliability of my 350Z and it may also pose a safety concern if the problem remains unresolved.

- Cary, NC, USA

Feb 022004

350Z

Nissan 350Z. Lost control of car just changing lanes at 45 mph. Car spun sideway and when I tried to recover, steering was almost impossible as tires seemed to be just gliding wherever they wanted to go. I am just now connecting this incident to the just became aware of tire and front end problem that Nissan seems to be having with this vehicle. I only wish somebody had told me my front end was not aligned and tracking correctly and that my tires were worn away on the inner edges. The failure to notify me placed me in a circumstance that allowed me to think the vehicle I was driving was safe and would respond when I needed it to. My initial thinking of a slick road, which really wasn't present, is now apparent to me to be a front end which can wander and cause abrupt alterations in tracking due to tire wear and improper alignment. Fortunately, the only bruised item was the car. I hope it doesn't lead to a human. The consumers vehicle failed the Massachusetts safety inspection because of bad tires.

- Saugus, MA, USA

Feb 272004

350Z 6-cyl

Brought my car in twice to complain about a loud growling noise from the front end at 6000 miles. I told him that the noise is really bad when I brake at speeds below 50 mph. Erin from the dealership told me that Nissan does have a bulletin out and their quick fix is: To rotate my tires from side to side and do a front alignment. He told me my tires were wearing unevenly. I brought the car back again to complain that the noise got worse and they told me that it may take 1000-2000 miles for the noise to go away. I told him that was crazy. Eric told me just to turn my radio up and I wouldn't hear the noise. He also told me that Nissan will only rotate the tires once and then after that I will need to do it more offen. He told me that I will need to replace my tires soon. I told him it just has 6000 miles on it. I also had my car back for the loud break noise and they said it was normal. After finding this website I realized I'm not the only one that is this complaint. I cannot believe that Nissan is not doing anything about this severe problem that could become dangeous for driving when the tires are wearing unevenly.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Jul 102003

350Z 6-cyl

Tire cupping and feathering due to faulty suspension on 2003 Nissan 350Z causing car to veer to the right.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 012003

350Z

I have a feathering problem with my front tires due to a front end suspension defect. My efforts with Nissan corporation and the dealer (ed napleton Nissan in North palm beach, Florida) have been fruitless. The service department threatened to not service my car when I brought up the lemon law. The dealer then admitted to the problem (once I provided information that others reported this problem) and said they would try to get reimbursement for the tires. Then the dealer then only offered tires at dealer cost (which was higher than a local repair shop who did install replacements). Nissan corporation (yanique, customer service person) in California was both condescending and argumentative with me. The Nissan representative advised that tire reimbursement is on a case by case basis. When I purchased this vehicle the dealer was advised that I would drive a significant number of miles commuting to work. Thus, my vehicle first experienced this problem immediately following my 15K miles service. The dealer switched the front end tires and immediately afterward, I could hear the noise relating to the alignment problem. Although I was advised by another Nissan 350Z owner that he experienced uneven tire wear, it didn't register with me until the tires were switched at 15K that there was a problem. I believe the dealer was buying time knowing that I will continue to place significant miles on this car and didn't reimburse me for these tires based on the same reasoning. The dealer states that they didn't manufacture the car or the tires and thus, they are not responsible. Nissan is aware of this problem and have tried to keep the issue secret from the public. Apparently there is not fix and a recent auto magazine article has identified 39,000 vehicles with this problem. I would hope that this complaint receives sufficient attention, since this problem is both costly to the consumer and could pose a safety problem due to poor traction of the front end tires.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Feb 072003

350Z 6-cyl

Front end suspension problems is causing front tires to wear improperly(feathering) only after 4000 miles!

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jul 192003

350Z 6-cyl

Noiced growl and rumbling noise around front end of 2003 Nissan 350Z. Dealer performed no diagnostics, nor checked service bulletins. Claimed could not duplicate the problem. Third trip in, dealer admitted to hearing the now loud noise. Millage at 7500 - 10,200. Diagnosed feathering (cupping) front tires.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Nov 012003

350Z

Excessive road noise, growl with car.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA