2011 Nissan Rogue transmission problems: won't accelerate/stops while driving

Won't Accelerate/Stops While Driving

2011 Nissan Rogue (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

1. replace transmission (11 reports)
  3. install a transmission cooling kit (6 reports)
  4. replace switches (1 reports)
  5. replaced brake sensor (1 reports)
2011 Nissan Rogue transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Nissan Rogue:

2011 Nissan Rogue Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 262018

Rogue SV 2.5L 4-cyl

• CVT transmission

click to see larger images

won't accelerate/stops while driving won't accelerate/stops while driving won't accelerate/stops while driving

Purchased 2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD on 12-30-2014 for my daughter and mileage was 28K. She used the vehicle very reasonable just to and from medical school and to come home town and regularly did maintenance of the vehicle. The current mileage is 45682 and she recently went to Horseheads, NY on 1-23-2018 without any problem for her practice exam. But on 1-26-2018 when she drove 2 miles she suddenly noticed the vehicle is not moving and WON'T ACCELERATE/STOPS WHILE DRIVING. She also noticed check engine light is on. She went to Nissan dealer for diagnostic. Dealer said issue with Transmission and it needs to be replace and I paid diagnostic cost for the dealer.

After reading the many online complaints about this CVT transmission I realized that the transmission was simply defective from the start. Now will have to replace entire transmission at a cost of approximately $4,000.00. Nissan Rogue owners with this faulty CVT system need to voice their concerns so that Nissan does the right thing and replaces the defective CVT transmission. This should not happen to car with approximately 46 K miles.

Further the transmission issues are know issues for Nissan Rogue since long time and Nissan did CVT Warranty Extension to provide its customers with additional assurance regarding their overall cost of ownership, Nissan doubled the warranty period for the CVT transmission in the 2008-2010 Nissan Rogue. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles was extended at no cost, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, up to 10 years/120,000 miles (whichever comes first).

Based on above I opened case with Nissan consumer affairs (Case #29665859) to cover transmission replacement cost. Towed my vehicle from NY to VA and dropped of the vehicle at Nissan dealer at my home town based on case manager recommendation. But now they are asking to pay again diagnostic charges even though it was done at Nissan dealer and they know the issue. I believe all technicians are trained by Nissan because both are Nissan dealers and this is totally unfair to ask customer to pay again form the same diagnostic twice.

I will file complaint with NTSB at safecar.gov soon. Will go to Virginia Division of Consumer Affairs next if Nissan does not cover the cost of a new (non defective) CVT transmission.

Update from Feb 7, 2018: I also filed complaint with NHTSA#11071629.

Update from Feb 9, 2018: Nissan came back and they offered 80/20 split for the replacement of the defected transmission and I accepted the offer.

- kasanagottu, Centeville, US

Jan 032018

• CVT transmission

Purchased 2011 Nissan Rogue new in 2010. Ever since I owned the vehicle it would intermittently pop out of gear, especially on highway at high speeds. The car would then reengage into gear and accelerate. Apparently the CVT transmission was defective and Nissan is now indicating to me that although the later model year cars were given an extended warranty for the faulty CVT transmission my car is not covered.

After reading the many online complaints about this CVT transmission I realized that the transmission was simply defective from the start. Now will have to replace entire transmission at a cost of approximately $3,700.00. Nissan Rogue owners with this faulty CVT system need to voice their concerns so that Nissan does the right thing and replaces the defective CVT transmission. This should not happen to car with approximately 88,000 miles.

Filed a complaint with NTSB (#11060897) at safecar.gov. Will go to Florida Division of Consumer Affairs next if Nissan does not cover the cost of a new (non defective) CVT transmission.

Update from Jan 12, 2018: Nissan denied repair costs. This is not new and am creating a website for class action lawsuit. Apparently what they do is blame the owner, especially single mothers. that have nowhere to turn to. The only reason I speak of lawsuits is because my former husband has dealt with issues like this and the behavior is not atypical (i.e., blame owner for the defective CTS system and being ripped off by NISSAN.

- Nancy V., Cape Coral, US

Oct 172015

• CVT transmission

At 68k miles, after purchasing a 2011 Nissan Rouge with 0 miles we had transmission issues. When we took long trips after a long drive when we came to a stop or slowed down on the freeway, the car would not accelerate. We were in the middle of the desert when it happened the first time and my husband cleaned out the air filter thinking that was the issue. Thankfully after a while we got back on the freeway and drove very slow home. The car was sluggish almost as if it lost power to the engine and took long to start moving faster. It was extremely nerve wrecking driving the car like that and we were pretty far from home. When we took into Nissan they said the whole transmission needed to be replaced. Thankfully we had purchased the extended warranty. We are still making payments on the car currently.

- canna, Menifee, US

Aug 042017

Rogue SL

Heading home from vacationing in Charleston, SC back to Rochester, NY. Got to Fairfax, VA and vehicle stopped going up hills, kicking vehicle out of cruise control. Went to nearest Nissan dealer in Staunton, VA to have dealership diagnose that my transmission was going. Never had any warning of problems with transmission until this trip home. Faithfully changed oil and did maintenance as needed on the car since I bought it used in 2013. Had to rent a car to get myself and two daughters home and have to drive 15 hours round trip back to VA to get my vehicle now that transmission has been fixed.

- Janice C., Rochester, US

Jul 242017

• CVT transmission

2011 Nissan Rogue, had transmission problem a while back. Lucky I had bought the extended warranty, because the transmission would not shift out of park, they said out of warranty and $750.00 to fix. Then they said oh, you have the extended warranty $50.00. Now the extended warranty has expired by 6 months and the car will not move, throttles up but won't budge. From what I'm reading it's a know problem that Nissan will not acknowledge. They had a recall on 2010s from what I read, but still had the problem with 2011s. I don't know why they can't be forced to recall this problem.

- Bruce R., Wilkes-Barre, US

Jul 192017

Rogue SV 2.4L

• CVT transmission

We would press on accelerator and nothing would happen. Press harder and eventually we would start moving. On interstate could only get up to 45 mph. CVT transmission was whining. Interesting note: the car senses the transmission overheating and limits performance to keep car from further damage, "limp mode", hence the lack of response and inability to maintain speed. Diagnosis was that transmission was overheating. Fix was to replace valve body in transmission and install aux transmission oil cooler. Found out in 2012 Nissan extended warranty on the transmission to 10 years/ 120000 miles for 2010 year models and earlier. From online posts it is apparent they did not fix the problem on later models though. Obviously the fix Is the aux cooler. Contacted Nissan national. They were polite and helpful and assigned a case number. They contacted dealer to get details, but I have not heard yet from them if they plan to stand behind their vehicle.

Update from Jul 30, 2017: Dealer fixed problem quickly. Nissan North America agreed to reimburse me for parts only.

- David V., Roswell, US

Jul 012017

• CVT transmission

We were vacationing in San Francisco and driving back to Utah across I-80 in Nevada. The speed limit is 75 or 80 mph. While driving home, we were traveling up hill at about 80 mph and passing a semi. All of a sudden our cruise control shut off and our car slowed to about 65 mph and I ended up pulling behind the truck due to traffic coming up behind me. Once I got over the hill, I was able to travel about 75 - 75 mph but could not go any faster. We pulled off the freeway in a small town and stopped at a red light. When I tried to go, my car would only go about 5 mph for about 100 feet and then picked up some speed. After stopping, turning off the car and letting it rest, it seemed to work OK for about an hour. This happened 4 times between Reno and SLC, Ut.

I see that this is an on-going problem for many people. I've read several thougths on the problem on the internet, if someone can tell me what the problem is and how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate your help.

- msm57, Price, US

Jun 082017

• CVT transmission

So this is our 2nd Nissan vehicle, and we were happy with the Rogue for awhile , however, there's always been something wrong with it. Last year I had to replace the left rear handle to the outside of the door, as when I opened it one day it ripped OFF!! Nissan wanted $550 to fix it, I found out the door handle costs about $15!!! Ridiculous. So I found a good honest company that even charged me less than originally quoted because it only took them about 10 minutes to replace the door handle. Ended up costing about $80!!!

For the last few years the car sometimes loses RPM's and speed will very. Sometimes it made me feel crazy, but then it would work fine. However, today was different, my husband was driving home on the freeway and all of a sudden the speed reduced on the car, and it wouldn't go above 60mph. It was stuck on 4000 RPMS, so he pulled over the side of the freeway and checked the oil it was perfect, but he did notice almost a smell of something being on fire.... So he got back into the car to see if he could make it to a small auto shop. He explained what happened and the man stated that it sounds like the Transmission, and that there had been a recall so to call Nissan. I called Nissan and even though I purchased our Rogue at the end of 2010, it is a 2011 rogue and doesn't qualify for the recall. They said I have to take it into Nissan to be properly diagnosed by their technicians before they will say if they can or will cover any of the cost. RIDICULOUS!! So said that they would treat a good hard working AMERICAN family this way. We were big supporters of NISSAN and we will no longer be that way. We bought and paid for our product, and it didn't barely make 6 years?? What kind of product are they selling?? I found this site online about all of the complaints, and I know there have to be SOOOO many more!

We are moving over to TOYOTA as we purchased one already and they have great service, products and back everything up unlike NISSAN.

We will also be teaching our kids about quality products and how they should NEVER own a NISSAN!!! They are just very cheaply made, and they are not a company that stands for much of anything let alone their word.

Very disappointed :(

- Rachel H., Phoenix, US

Apr 122017

Rogue 4cy

• CVT transmission

my complaint is that loss of acceleration while on freeway with no place to pull over. could have caused accident, would like to know what can be done

- James S., Salinas, CA, US

Mar 292017

Rogue SV 4

I purchased this car and it never accelerated on hills. I have changed the sparks plugs, but it did not improve performance on hills. I will change the ignition coil, but I do not believe it will help.

- joanfoy1, St Thomas, Virgin Islands (US)

Mar 012017

Rogue Krom 2.5L

This has to be one of the scariest issues we've ever encountered. Driving along the freeway, and we lose ALL power. This is incredibly dangerous! Can't believe we're having these issues so soon! Only 70,000 miles on the car!!

- Chad C., Inglewood, CA, US

Dec 202016

• CVT transmission

I was on my way to a work Christmas party and had to stop for gas. Just as I pulled into the station drive my car just stopped moving. I tuned off the ignition and started it again. The engine would not even rev up. Some men helped push the vehicle out of the way and had to pay for a wrecker service to come and take my car over 50 miles to get back to the garage where I live. Now, I'm trying to come up with the money to pay for a new transmission. I am not happy. Merry Christmas to me!

- Susan B., Corinth, MS, USA

Sep 302014

Rogue 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Contacted Nissan and since it is now past the warranty they can't help me. While I was in the dealership getting a CVC boot replaced I mentioned the problem to the guy helping me and he said he had heard the problem before and he said the fluid overheats and the transmission stops working. I asked if there was a fix and he said a Transmission cooler installed for $1124.00. I told him I thought that was ridiculous to have to pay for an inherent problem in Nissan's vehicle. That's when I contacted Nissan and told them this was a safety issue and the couldn't (wouldn't) help.

- James W., Pollock Pines, CA, USA

Sep 112016

• CVT transmission

Nissan has a major problem with the CVT transmission. They need to own up to a design flaw. No transmission should fail with 72,000 miles. It is clear from the history that Nissan needs to provide extended warranty until they can solve this problem. Don't buy a Nissan car with a CVT transmission or be prepared to spend big bucks after 60,000 miles

- Bill N., Livingston, NJ, USA

Jul 112016

Rogue AWD 2.5L 4 Cy

I have had my car in the shop to get a cooler installed for the cvt transmission. This cooler did not come standard with the car, but it wasn't able to keep speed on the interstate without it. It would loose speed on the interstate after driving about an hour because the transmission would overheat and go into safety mode. This rogue has 80,000 miles on it which is right over the mfg warranty period Nissan has on the transmission. Either they planned that right, or this vehicle was never fullly functional from the start. I've seen recalls on earlier models for this same issue yet nothing has been resolved in the 2011 Nissan Rogue that I purchased. There is no recall on this year and model so i was to be held responsible for the repair. Luckily i purchased an extended warranty that covered all but 270 bucks. I called nissan and they agreed to pay for only %40 percent of the repair. When it came time to pay, Nissan didnt cover anything. I waited in the dealer for an hour for them to try to figuare it out but everyone was incompetent so I just paid the bill. They said they would have someone call me back from the dealer and from Nissan and no one ever called. I tried calling the supervisor at Nissan Corp and he wouldnt return my phone calls. Very unprofessional on all levels. They just couldnt wait to get rid of me. DO NOT BUY NISSAN

- Danielle P., Victoria, KS, USA

Jul 042016

Rogue SL

Car was sluggish on acceleration from stop. Lost acceleration on highway and although the engine revved up, the car slowed down. This was dangerous and terrifying as we were driving through Pittsburgh with road construction and no shoulder to pull over on.

The solution was to replace a faulty brake sensor which was giving a false positive. If the car thinks that the brake is being applied, it will override the fact that you are physically pushing the gas pedal. The took it to the dealer and left the car running so they could experience it themselves. (Turning the car off and then back on would sometimes reset the sensor so the car would work fine then). The dealership replaced the sensor in about an hour. The part cost $50 and the testing/labor cost $100.

We haven't had the problem again after this repair.

- roguedriver, Lexington, KY, USA

Jun 232016

I was on my way on a trip from the Atlanta area to Orlando, Florida. About 1.5 hours into the trip, the car would not accelerate beyond 55-60 miles per hour. I had this problem several times before, but each time I took it to Nissan, they could not find anything or tell me the root cause of the problem. I finally pulled over in Macon, GA to a Nissan dealership where they identified the problem as the transmission. I had to leave my car there and rent a car as they would not give me a loaner to go out of town. However, they offered me a loaner on the way back.

I left my car at Nissan on June 23rd and as I write this complaint (July 10th) I am still waiting for my car to be repaired. They gave me a "basic" loaner, but it is frustrating to have to go without my car for this long.

In doing research, it appears that Nissan has had several problems with transmissions and as a result, had to extend the warranty on many models to 110,000 miles. They have not done this for my model year, so I am stuck with a $4000 bill as I am out of warranty.

- Yolanda B., Conyers, GA, USA

Jun 022016

• CVT transmission

noticed car not accelerating at stops, very doggish on city streets and at high speeds it wouldn,t accelererate at all ! .took it to the shop and problem seemed to go away after an oil change and my mechanic saying he couldn't find the problem.Then, on a long road trip at about 70 mph when, on a long gradual hill, the engine whined loudly and the rpm's start going up and down. the car speed quickly went down to 55 mph on a busy freeway, almost rear ended! also, noticed fuel efficiency was down a couple mph on the first 200 miles of our trip.The check engine light came on, i got it scanned...code 0744, transmission cvt issues. my mechanic said it's a 4,000$ fix...told me to go to Nissan dealer and demand a fix. He said Nissan should fix it for free and he didn't want to take my money for a repair that should have been a recall...nice, honest dude! Took it to the local dealer and he was so rude...he was so happy to inform me that the warranty, as you know, only covers 2008-2010 models, what!!! I am so pissed, never will buy another nissan. I am in the process of trying to get Nissan to at least pay for most of the repair. will keep you informed on their response.

- Frankie B., Ventura, CA, USA

Apr 012016

Rogue V4

I first bought vehicle used and have been very pleased, until lately when I have been having the same/similar issues mentioned on this and many other websites. I have never had a transmission problem like this with many more miles than on the current vehicle.

Nissan needs to cover the replacement of these switches. This should be a recall as quickly as possible.

- Grace B., St Matthews, SC, USA

Apr 012016

Rogue LX V4

My wife purchased her Nissan Rogue new from a Nissan dealer in 2011. Everything has been maintained up to date. 1s time we noticed the issue was on a 3 hour drive to Tahoe when we found that the car would begin to slow down on its own with the gas all the way to the floor. We pulled over, let it cool, checked and found all fluids to be full. Got back on the road and seemed normal again.

My wife just drove on another 3 hour trip across flat land and literally the car started to decelerate and there was nothing she could do. She pulled over, found all fluids to be level or full, got back on the road and seemed fine until the engine light came on.

We took it to the dealer where she purchased it from, were charged around $160 for diagnosis, turns out that it is the so called known issue that the tranny fluid overheats and the work around is a mod where they pull the bumper and install a fan to cool the tranny. on top of that, since it had over heated, there is additional parts that need to be replaced in the transmission. We are looking at over $2,0000 for the repair and the modification.

None of it is covered under warranty, the dealer stated that it is a known issue and they submitted "notifications" to owners of these vehicles. Well we never got one and if we had, we would have sold the car.

Whats the point of buying a vehicle that you will have to add mods to down the line, a vehicle that cant even last 80,000 miles before it needs serious work done. We will never purchase another Nissan, if they can not care for their consumers, they will have no loyal customers.

- jdebo, Castro Valley, CA, USA