ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

9.0

$4,260

1. new transmission (18 reports)
2012 Nissan Rogue transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Rogue:

2012 Nissan Rogue Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 062018

• CVT transmission

I purchased a used 2012 Nissan Rogue in good faith from Anderson Chevrolet in Chicago. It was as is, so there was no warranty. However, the car appeared to be in good shape. However, there is a very common problem with these cars involving the CVT transmission where they fail. In spite of this being a very common problem, there has been no recall, no reprogramming, no nothing and the very expensive repair falls to the unknowing owner. I do not have an additional $4-5k to pay for this fix. And I am currently still in the middle of the loan for this car, so I cannot sell it. So I am left paying for a car that does not work, without means to do anything about it. This is unacceptable. Nissan disowns the problem, but it is a common problem. How does that work?

- Jennifer S., Chicago, IL, US

Sep 072018

• CVT transmission

I have a 2012 Nissan Rogue, with less than 90,000 miles. While out of state on vacation, I had to replace the transmission, front axle & front right brake caliper.  I understand that after 2010, Nissan was suppose to have fixed problems with it's CVT transmissions, but in April of 2016, they offer extended warranties on 2014 to 2016 Nissan Rogues. What about the 2011-2013 model years?  Were their transmissions magically without problems?  Obviously not.  Mine also had a loss of power, jerking transmission, problems with the CVT coolant hose, and a CVT error message being displayed.

I took it to a Nissan dealership for repairs.  Knowing that there were still problems with the CVT transmissions, it seems to me it would have been in their best interest to extend the 10 year or 120,000 mile warranty when 2011-2013 owners made them aware of the same kind of problems.  Imagine what a PR move that would be... But no, Nissan North America said it didn't qualify for the extended warranty.

Friends suggested I sell it (before repairs) but it's not in my name & I still owe too much.

- Lisa B., Simpsonville, SC, US

Jun 182018

Rogue

I have a 2012 Nissan Rogue, with only 61,000 miles on it. Over the weekend we were driving and the call would not accelerate over 70 mph, which was really dangerous on the freeway going up hill. We pulled off, let it rest and restarted it with no fix. We did this again but pulled off for longer and that seemed to fix the issue. I brought the car in yesterday and it had an error 744, which is a CVT engine failure.

Basically the dealer informed me I need a coolant system added on and a brand new transmission, quoted at $5200!!! FOR A CAR with 61,000 MILES ON IT! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? My car is not covered under the extended 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty, ALTHOUGH clearly it should be! Only 2010 and older are covered under that. I have filed a complaint and case with Nissan but I haven't heard back on if they'll cover this, somehow doubt that. I can't believe this FAILURE will cost me over $5k!

- Jessica W., Minneapolis, MN, US

Dec 012017

Rogue SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

My 2012 Nissan Rogue CVT Transmission went broken too early. That is not acceptable. I would like to get a reimbursement from Nissan.

- Roosevelt D., Crowley, TX, US

Dec 132017

Rogue SV

• CVT transmission

Transmission went so they told me I had to replace it and the rear viscous coupler and my rack and pinion unquote well only about 9000 on a car I owe 12k on that's worth 8k book value and under the 5 year warranty but not the 100k warranty Nissan can't even keep a well maintained car running 5 years nice product will never buy another or speak good about them pure garbage.

- Daniel S., Wolcott, US

Nov 082017

Rogue SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

After researching a noise that my car developed a couple months ago, I learned about all the transmission failures that Nissan CVT equipped cars have. The noise ended up being a bad wheel bearing which was replaced under the Nissan Certified Pre-Owned 100K/7 year warranty. I was thankful I escaped a transmission issue but always had the thought in the back on my mind that one day an issue would arise, and if it did, hopefully before the warranty expired. First let me note that about 6-12 months ago I started to notice the average MPG started to go down. Usually I would average around 24mpg but throughout the months I was lucky to get 22mpg. It also seemed that it took more acceleration to get the car up to speed on the road and highways. A rattling noise from what I suspected was the transmission started to develop when the car was cold and put into gear. Over the past year it seemed to get worse and then go away. I had the dealer check it on two separate service appointments. The first time they said it was an exhaust heat shield issue which they remedied with a hose clamp. After I got the car back it still made the rattling noise. I lived with it and had them check it out again during the next oil change visit but nothing was found wrong. I figured I'd just deal with the annoying noise as long as it didn't effect the performance since nothing could be done to fix it. Fast forward about a year and the noise persisted but seemed to get louder, to the point where it was a bit embarrassing when driving the car. This Thursday, I had went up the street to the grocery store and when I pulled into the parking lot the car didn't respond to acceleration and started to shake violently. No check engine light came on so I parked the car. I figured I'd try and limp the car back home since I didn't want to be stranded at the grocery store. When I started the car and put it into reverse, it had a very difficult time moving. I gave it more gas and was able to back it up. The trip home was only about 2 miles and mostly downhill so I figured worst case I'd let it coast in neutral. Unfortunately I hit every red light on the way home and each time I had to stop, the car didn't want to accelerate. It seemed to get worse by the second, with the engine/transmission shaking violently. I made it home and called the dealership where it's been serviced from day one. They told me to have it towed in and they would check it out. I did so with the help of AAA which got it there the same night. The next morning the dealership service advisor called me and said the transmission had metal pieces coming out of it when they removed the drain pan/plug. The car has 84K miles on it so Nissan is going to cover the transmission under the Certified Pre-Owned warranty which I'm very fortunate and lucky to have. With the car only being worth around $8500, it would be a very difficult decision to have it fixed ($4000) if it was out of warranty. I feel terrible for people that have to deal with that situation. I'm currently waiting for it to be repaired at the dealer and look forward to getting it back. Most likely I'll keep the car around until the warranty is up and trade it out. Unfortunately from the way Nissan is handling the CVT transmission situation, I will most likely not purchase another Nissan. Sad because I was thinking about trading out my wife's 2010 Nissan Pathfinder for a new one. Since the new Pathfinders are equipped with CVT's, we'll most likely look into another brand.

For what it's worth my advise to people out there is as followed. Note that I used to work for a major auto/motorcycle manufacturer's customer service department so I kind of understand the ins and outs of how the whole process works.

#1. Follow the recommended service intervals for the vehicle and preferably with the same authorized Nissan dealer so records are kept and consistent. Since I knew the transmissions are ticking time bombs, I made sure to have the recommended transmission oil service done at 60K miles. That way if something did happen, Nissan couldn't reject the claim based on lack on maintenance.

#2. Be cool to the dealership staff. They are there to try and help you. If you're mean or rude to them, they won't go out of their way to get help from Nissan.

#3. If you're not getting anywhere with the dealer, contact the customer service rep at Nissan. Try and be cool and nice. Again, no one likes getting yelled at. I always tried to help the people out that were cool and understanding of the situation. Coming in hot and yelling should only be used as your last resort. Sometimes that works and sometimes you'll get hung up on. You'll have better luck trying to get in touch with the local territory service rep or in some cases

#4. If you can't get any assistance with Nissan corporate customer service and if your car falls under your states local lemon law, contact a lemon law attorney. It's the only way the manufacturer will get off their butts and do something about the situation.

- 103, Corona, US

Sep 112017

CVT Transmission 72830 Miles

We purchased the 2012 Nissan Rogue from Goben Cars in Madison WI in 04/15 with 68,000 miles.

Transmission failed at 72,830 miles. I was given a price of $ 4800 to zapata repair shop Madison, WI for

replacement of transmission. I have seen online and found that there are lots of problem with transmission going bad in the Nissan Rogue 2012. I am very unhappy. I will never buy or recommend buying a Nissan.

Balasingam, Madison, WI.

- balasingam, Madison, US

Aug 082017

Rogue S/SV

After 154,000 miles, my Nissan Rogue stopped moving. My mechanic said the transmission failed and it wasn't worth replacing given the mileage on the vehicle. The Nissan dealer said it was out of warranty, but suggested I call their national Consumer Affairs. They opened a case and had me tow the car to their dealership and pay for a diagnosis. $265 later, they told me they confirmed the transmission failed, but it had too many miles and they could do nothing. I told them the mileage so these additional costs were just salt in the wounds of a dead car. I expected a lot more mileage from the Rogue. In fact, the Nissan salesperson spent a lot of time telling us how reliable the car is and that we could expect 300,000 miles from it. I am sorely disappointed in the car and especially mad that I had to pay $265 for them to tell me the mileage I already knew. I will never buy or recommend a Nissan again.

- nterri, Petersburg, US

Jul 172017

• CVT transmission

I cannot believe Nissan is just ignoring the CVT problem. Both my daughters have Nissans, a 2011 Maxima and a 2012 Rogue - and both need new transmissions!!!!

I called and they agreed there was a recall, for years 2010 and before. But apparently the problem has been FIXED - but not according to the vehicles we have!!

I would never, ever, ever, recommend buying a Nissan.

If Toyota or Honda asked me to do a commercial for them dissing Nissan I would do it for free.

- morganr, Richardson, US

Nov 152016

• CVT transmission

What a piece of crap! Not only did the tranny fail TWICE, the sunroof exploded. Will stay away from CVT!

- Melissa V., Garden Valley, CA, US

Nov 012016

Rogue LS

Internal Failure of CVT Transmission

codes p1778

p0868

No help from Nissan Corporation at all!!!!!

- twoodman, Shreveport, LA, US

Jan 042017

Rogue SV

• CVT transmission

I purchased the 2012 Rogue from Lynnes Nissan in Stanhope NJ in 3/15, with 58K miles. I also purchased an extended warranty for 36,000 mi , which was NOT a Nissan extended warranty but some other aftermarket warranty. (I was NEVER given a choice.) Transmission failed at 107K

Was given a price of $3926 from the same dealer for replacement. Dealership said there is nothing we can do to help you out . Called Nissan Corp looking for goodwill and was condescended to and patronized like nobody's business by JEROME the regional consumer affairs specialist. He basically told me that because I didn't get my oil changed at the dealership and because I bought an aftermarket warranty and not a Nissan warranty, that they were "DONE" with me at 60,000 miles as far as the powertrain goes.

I said that I knew that Nissan had extended the powertrain warranty for 2003-2010 Nissans in regards to the CVT to 120K, and I was just looking for some offer of goodwill, such as pay half or pay for parts or labor. I again reiterated that I was just outside my warranty period. He again said its not a Nissan warranty. He outright said NO, there is nothing we can do. What a bunch of crap.

I now have issue with the dealership which I didnt before, as they have been very amiable to me . I was never given a choice of warranties when the car was sold to me and was obviously sold the one that offered the highest commission to the F/I guy, and I also found out that dealerships are given a certain amount of latitude in every case up to a threshold to offer goodwill on Nissans behalf, so they lied to me when they said they could not do anything for me.

I called again this morning and asked them to re look at my case as I was never given a choice of warranties at the dealership when I purchased. I also emailed the CEO in Tokyo, not really expecting that to have any efffect other than to go to his spam folder ! Would love to start or join a class action regarding the CVT failures !

- jdrayer, Stanhope, NJ, USA

Oct 172016

Rogue SL 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

We bought this car new in 2012 and kept it until april 2016, at which time we sold it to our son thinking we were helping him out. now the transmission has gone out and it will cost $4700 to fix it. I got on line and found out that there lots of problems with the transmissions going bad in these cars, so bad in fact that they had to double the warranty on some years. At least they did something but that only prolongs the problem not fix's it and the other years like our 2012 rogue they do nothing. All i would tell you is don't buy Nissan products and if you have one already, trade it in while you can still get it to the dealer You could tell the car was cheap made when driving it but had no idea how sorry it was.

- John L., Hendersonville, NC, USA

Nov 272015

Rogue LS

I purchased this 2012 Rogue new and since I had never purchased a 4 cyl. car before I purchased an extended warranty with it. Did not want to but felt I better. Thank God I did or I would have been really mad. Nissan did replace the 1st transmission at 95,000 miles. I thought I would keep it for another 100,000 miles !!! Wrong, I was not told it was a rebuilt transmission or I probably would have sold the car.

The second transmission went out at 119,000 miles. Come on are you kidding me !!! Now Nissan tells me the car is out of warranty. They are replacing the second. They pay 90% and I pay 10% which is around $390.00. What can I do but have them replace it. I tell you this. As soon as the work is done I'm trading this car off.

I have purchased two Nissan's and have had all the oil changes and work done at the dealership in Peoria, IL. This is the last time they will see me in this dealership. How would you feel if this had happened to you I asked with NO reply. Very unhappy !!!

- slange49, PEKIN, IL, USA

Jun 072016

• CVT transmission

My 2012 Nissan Rogue (71,000 miles) broke down after the RPMs went wacky on the highway. Had it towed to my garage and they said it needs a brand new transmission. Well, just lost my job so that's not gonna happen and who has $3,900 hanging around anyway???

I notified Nissan headquarters 1-800-Nissan1 and filed a complaint. My warranty was only 5 Years/60,000 miles so it had run out. While waiting to hear back from Nissan, I notified my car insurance (Geico)- couldn't help. I met with people at the dealership where I bought the car (Belise Toyota of West Springfield, MA)- wouldn't help unless I trade the Nissan in for another car and would only offer me $6,700 for it- I still owe $9,000! Since, I have talked to Nissan 9 times, including multiple left messages, and have asked to speak with each person's supervisor after being denied help. So, I'm moving up the ladder. Once they said they wouldn't help me because I didn't get my oil changes done at a Nissan dealership. Another representative, Janisha, said this is my fault that I didn't purchase a better warranty. She offered to send me a denial letter and I could file with the better business bureau. Now I am waiting for Lauren at the executive offices to call me back. While waiting, I have been researching about replacing the transmission. The garages I've called can't believe that the 2012 isn't covered under the recall (http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php?menu=2). Nissan told me my car was too new for the recall. Garages have quoted me between $3,600 (local family owned garage) and $3,900 (Nissan dealer) to replace the transmission and told me that I cannot get a rebuilt transmission because the CVT transmissions can't be rebuilt.

Update from Jul 11, 2016: Just filed with the Better Business Bureau thanks to a link on this site. Maybe they'll get somewhere with Nissan. I'll keep you posted.

- Marjorie T., Somers, CT, USA

Jul 082016

Rogue SL

• CVT transmission

My 2012 Nissan Rogue only has 24,000 miles on it and I keep it in pristine condition. I was driving on the interstate and I heard a strange noise and then it felt like my car slipped gears. I came to a stop and wasn't able to accelerate and my gears didn't seem to be working. When I got out, my car was leaking a TON of fluid. (this all happened on an extremely busy road during a horrible rain storm which made things worse) I had to have it towed to the dealership where they informed me I needed a new transmission. WHAT? The first year I had electrical issues and now a new transmission?? I feel like I bought a lemon. The service adviser informed me that the transmissions are on back order and he didn't have any clue when my car will be fixed. Soooo....Nissan has so many issues with this transmission that it's on back order?? I'm not very happy!!

- Megan S., Edmond, OK, USA

Jun 052016

Rogue SV V4

• CVT transmission

Love the car, hate the transmission and Nissan's lack of responsibility on them. They had the courtesy to extend their 5 yr/60,000 mile warranty on older models up to 10 yr/120,000 miles until model year 2010, but not any years after that.

It starts with a whining noise loss of acceleration, and then gears no longer work. Useless. Only fix is to replace it, which is easily over 3000 dollars.

I bought extra 36,000/3yr warranty, but hit the mileage a year and half into it. I kept up with maintenance, just bought new brakes and tires. Regular oil changes, lube, and top offs. Synthetic oil.

Got a upside loan on it , so definitely stuck between a rock and a hard place for sure.

If Nissan doesn't do a recall, they should at least extend warranty on a little bit newer models are understand that their CVT transmissions are too sensitive and should be replaced at not cost or very low cost.

- avatardevin, San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 262015

Rogue Special

• CVT transmission

I brought this Rogue brand new in 2012, tell me how a transmission going to go up in three years? Nissan says they won't fix it because I have gone over 60,000 miles. This transmission is no good. I feel my car should at least last until it's paid off. I am so disgusted with Nissan. I want my truck fixed and I feel I shouldn't have to pay for it. Somebody help me please.

- Crystal W., Heathsville, VA, USA

Jun 022015

Rogue Special Edition 4cl

• CVT transmission

Well I bought my 2012 Rogue brand new, had it serviced as I should and now at 68,000 miles the transmission is needing replaced. I took it into the local dealer at 59,000 miles to have full service to make sure nothing was wrong before the warranty expired and according to them it was perfect. No repairs needed.

Now that I am out of warranty I need a transmission and they do not want to pay for it. Dealership said nothing they can do for me to call Nissan consumer affairs. So I did this on Friday the rep had the nerve to ask what I felt Nissan should do to fix this situation. Then said someone would call within 24hours, well I did not receive that call today. If they know these transmissions are such a problem why are they still using them? A 2 1/2 yr old car should not need a transmission. Anyone else had this problem and did Nissan repair it at no cost?

- Misty P., Ringgold, GA, USA

May 082015

Rogue Unlimited Package V4

• CVT transmission

I bought my 2012 Rogue brand new at Clarksville Nissan in Columbia, MD. I have always had the oil changed needs and all other maintenance completed on my Rogue and never has any issues with my Rogue. I was driving home from work Friday morning and my rogue felt like it was going to stall every time I stopped. I took the car to the dealership on Friday afternoon and I was told that my transmission is getting ready to blow and that it would be dangerous for me to drive vehicle.

The dealership gave me a loaner car for now. I'm waiting to for what Nissan is going to do. The rogue is out of the warranty. The car is only 3 years old and has 87,000 miles on it. The transmission should definitely not be giving out already.

The dealership stated that sometimes Nissan will help with the repairs. I will let you know what happens. If Nissan does not cover the full price of a new transmission, I'm planning on suing the company to get the new transmission. I know that the transmission should be fine and this issue definitely needs to be taken care of without the money coming out of my pocket.

It sounds like a Class Action law suit should be filed for the faulty CVT transmission the Rogue Vehicles. If I to hire an Attorney for this issue, please let me know if you would also like to be involved. Please email me at cc4107780@yahoo.com with your information: Name, Address and number so that I can reach you.

I will update you tomorrow when the dealership contacts me with what the next steps are.

- Christine C., Columbia, USA