2017 Subaru Forester engine problems: stalls when accelerating

Stalls When Accelerating

2017 Subaru Forester

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Subaru dealer.

7.3

2017 Subaru Forester engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Subaru Forester:

2017 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Jul 012019

Forester

I'm taking my 2017 Forester into the dealership for the last time tomorrow. I know this will be the last time because these highly trained mechanics refuse to acknowledge there is a hesitation problem with this car. If you start going up hill or just flat straight, or turning the engine will very noticeable change in acceleration. Decelerating at times then surging forward. Sometimes it even feels like it will stall then suddenly returns to normal. My wife feels it, I feel it and everyone that drives in it feels it. I worked for two different dealerships for several years and I know what goes on behind the doors. I'm still kicking myself for trusting this one. Don't be a fool like me and buy one of these cars.

- James S., Aubrey, US

Nov 162017

Forester Limited 2.5L

I was accelerating getting on I-95, was in the far right lane going about 65 MPH, it was raining and was trying to accelerate into the traffic pattern and all of a sudden I completely lost power, would not accelerate, luckily I was able to glide to the side of the road , my hazard light would not go on my panel was completely black. The car was in Drive and the ignition was on. After getting my mind around the situation, I turned the car off and put it in

park. After about 3-4 minutes I restarted the car without difficulty. I had over a half tank of gas, no warning light had come on before or after the incident.

This incident scared the crap out of me. If I would have been in the middle lane with cars going 70MPH+ , it would have been a major pile up. I no longer feel safe driving this car.

I did take it to the dealer the next day, they couldn't find anything wrong, just said it was probably just a glitch in the system. You cant have a GLITCH going 70 on an interstate.

I'm not sure what I am going to do with car.

- Frances C., Port Saint Lucie, US

May 202017

Forester Premium 2.5 I

• CVT transmission

It stalls in intersections mostly, when I am turning left with a green light. I will complete the turn, and when I accelerate it stalls completely. In heavy commute traffic, this is life-threatening. Further, the ultra-slippery plastic steering wheel on the vehicle exacerbates the situation no end.

- Bob & Cat B., Troutdale, OR, US