8.0

$2,970

1. replace actuator assembly (8 reports)
2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid:

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Owner Comments

Aug 012019

Highlander Hybrid Limited

Another Hybrid ABS Actuator fail. Mine has clicked for months and kept getting worse. The VSC lights finally came on and I now have to bite the bullet like others. Wish Toyota would have made Hybrid parts less costly. The regular Highlanders' ABS Actuator are only $100-200 dollars. I did find one on eBay for $500 and it is being shipped. The local dealer said they would install it, but wouldn't warranty the part. I bought Squaretrade on eBay, but hopefully won't have to use it. Stay tuned for install update.

- Mikey F., Shawnee Mission, KS, US

Aug 192019

Highlander Hybrid Limited 3.3L

• CVT transmission

06-07 Highlander Toyota Service Technical Bulletin about Check VSC System warning light. Toyota knows or knew about the ABS Actuator Module needing to be replaced but instead on cars outside extended warranty would rather have you pay $1,989 for the part and $850 for installation.

- b3mv0b, Houston, US

Dec 012018

Highlander Hybrid 5DR 3.3L

Brake actuator failure. My 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid limited just had a failure of the brake actuator that was diagnosed by Toyota. Unfortunately this failure happened after the time that was covered under a warranty enhancement program from Toyota for this defective part. I went to my Toyota dealer (Fort's Toyota of Pekin, 120 Radio City Dr, North Pekin, IL 61554) They said since the part did not fail during the time of the warranty enhancement they WILL NOT HELP ME. Fortunately no one in my family was injured during the failure nor was there any property or bodily injury to anyone else. As expected Toyota placed my family's lives in danger due to a known defective part that should have replaced under a recall.

- officerstimeling, East Peoria, US

Feb 132018

Highlander Hybrid Sport 3.3L Hybrid

• CVT transmission

After this forum, my brake actuator needs replaced. Took it to Toyota Hendricks in Wilmington NC yesterday with the service tech saying yeah under recall or extended warranty, bring it on in. Take it in and of course the next tech calls and says the warranty expired 12/31/2017, approximately 43 days ago, The service tech said the brake actuator failed. I said where was my letter for the recall or extended warranty. They said must have sent it to the previous owner, I have owned it for 4 years.

So calling, Toyota headquarters with no help, the dealer said they could lower the price from $3k to 1.8k, I then called a local repair shop and was told the part is $1100 plus 2 hours labor, I told Hendricks Toyota, where I have spent thousands and have 3 Toyotas in my driveway to kiss my you know what. So, they let me drive it out of there knowing there is a brake problem, unbelievable.

This is a SAFETY PROBLEM, dangerous when your BRAKES do not work, I have a 25 year old Suburban with twice the miles that stops when it's suppose to. Toyota and the parts they buy, and customer service, is a JOKE.. Last Toyota I will buy.

- Randy A., Wilmington, US

Dec 192017

Highlander Hybrid Limited 3.2L

Makes noise constantly. Drains the normal car battery. There was a recall for it, recall was reinstated in 2017 but it won't be fixed under that without an error code coming up. So, $3000 problem that Toyota won't own due to a technicality.

- Jw B., Denver, US

Jul 012016

Highlander Hybrid Limited V6

ABS BUZZES FOR ABOUT 1 HOUR AFTER RUNRING OFF IGNITION SWITCH. I AM AFRAID THIS WILL DRAIN OR DAMAGE BATTERY OR HYBRID SYSTEM. DEALER SAYS MUST REPLACE ACTUATOR WHICH I THINK INCLUDES PUMP AND MODULE FOR $2,600. THIS IS NOT IN WARRANTY DUE TO MILAGE OF 135,000 NOR IN RECALL EVEN THOUGH MANY PEOPLE SEEM TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM ON THE 2006 MODEL AND CAN BE LIFE THREATENING. I CANNOT AFFORD $2,600 REPAIR. ANY IDEAS FOR CHEAPER REPAIR OR OTHER FIX OR TRY TO PUSH FOR RECALL-HOW IS THIS DONE?

- car1234, Vivian, LA, US

May 012015

Highlander Hybrid Limited V6

Apparently there has been a slew of related issues with Toyota's regenerative braking system and the ABS actuator. The Prius recall points to this fact. Why would the two car designs not share similar technology and similar underlying issues when the problems being reported are nearly identical to those that were reported with Pruises? (Is the plural of Prius Prii?) I have not yet paid for the $2900 repair ($2600 of which is simply for the ABS actuator), but I am annoyed to discover that Toyota has not offered a recall despite the fact that it is a common problem even among Highlander Hybrid owners.

- Andre N., Ashland, OR, US

Sep 102014

Highlander Hybrid

In June 2014 we heard a squeaking noise when we put the car in drive and released the brake. We were on a trip. Two days after we returned and warning lights came on and the car would not start. We took it to the local dealer who said the battery needed to be replaced. Three months later the noise was back. We are out of town again. This time we took it to the local dealer in the town where we are staying. The mechanic immediately diagnosed this as a faulty brake actuator assembly in bad shape. Cost to fix it was $3,500. Had to do it or the brakes could fail. We had just driven 1,100 miles through the Rocky Mountains. Very scary that this problem was misdiagnosed and not repaired the first time in June. In addition, the problem with the brake actuator has been on record with the NHTSA since 2010 (35 complaints). There have been 9 complaints filed since April 2014. Toyota will not reimburse us for the repair saying our car is out of warranty. I was adamant that they should, and also should have alerted the Toyota dealers about the problem, considering that they have known about it for years. This is a serious safety issue!! We had a 7 year extended warranty on the car that has now expired. If we had known,we could have addressed it while the car was still under warranty. I noticed that one other poster had the same problem - told to replace battery when the problem was actually the actuator assembly. We contacted our dealer at home. We are waiting to hear back from the Western Regional Manger. Car has been meticulously maintained by the Toyota dealer since we bought it new in late 2006.

- Kathleen C., Carlsbad, CA, US