- August 14: Toyota Prius Windshield Replacement Lawsuit Argued in Court news | 1 days ago
- July 31: Toyota Air Conditioner Smell Lawsuit Says Mold Builds Up news | 15 days ago
- July 27: Toyota Camry Mold Smells Cause Lawsuit news | 19 days ago
- June 25: SUV Crash Test Ratings For 2018 Models news | 51 days ago
- June 18: Toyota Loses $12 Million 4Runner Axle Lawsuit news | 58 days ago
NHTSA — Power Train Problems
2001 Toyota RAV4 (Page 2 of 4)
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
1.6hardly worth mentioning
- Crashes / Fires:
- 0 / 0
- Injuries / Deaths:
- 0 / 0
- Average Mileage:
- 101,994 miles
About These NHTSA Complaints:
This data is from the NHTSA — the US gov't agency tasked with vehicle safety. Complaints are spread across multiple & redundant categories, & are not organized by problem.
So how do you find out what problems are occurring? For this NHTSA complaint data, the only way is to read through the comments below. Any duplicates or errors? It's not us.