- March 7: Kobe Steel Class-Action Lawsuit Includes Toyota news | 12 days ago
- March 7: Toyota Prius Windshield Cracks Cause Lawsuit news | 12 days ago
- March 6: Toyota Recalls Sienna Minivans Equipped With 10-Spoke Wheels recalls | 13 days ago
- February 25: Rear Crash Test Ratings Show Prevention Systems Work news | 22 days ago
- February 20: Toyota Recalls Sequoia and Tundra For Seat and Stability Problems recalls | 27 days ago
2001 Toyota RAV4
Fuel System Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
2001 Toyota RAV4 Fuel System Problems
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota RAV4 Model Years
Curious how the 2001 RAV4 compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota RAV4 overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the RAV4.