- April 14: Takata Airbag Recall Loaner Car Policies Lacking news | 6 days ago
- April 13: Driverless Cars: 66 Percent of Consumers Don't Want Them news | 7 days ago
- March 24: Toyota Camry and Avalon Hybrids Recalled For Fire Risk recalls | 27 days ago
- March 4: Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Class Action Settlement Proposed news | 47 days ago
2001 Toyota RAV4 (Page 1 of 6)
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 112,050 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 117 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (46 reports)
- replace transmission (27 reports)
- replaced ecm (20 reports)
- new tramsmission (8 reports)
- replace transmission & ecm at the same time (7 reports)
- added a bottle of Lucas transmission treatment (2 reports)