- May 14: Toyota Prius Inverter Failure Lawsuit Moves Forward news | 9 days ago
- May 12: Toyota Camry AC Smell Class Action Lawsuit a Go For California news | 11 days ago
- April 28: Honda and Toyota Lawsuit Filed Over ZF-TRW Airbag Control Units news | 25 days ago
- April 26: Toyota Yaris Cars Recalled For Airbag Failures recalls | 27 days ago
- April 25: Toyota Recalls 2019 Sienna Minivans For Welding Mistakes recalls | 28 days ago
2001 Toyota RAV4
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
2001 Toyota RAV4 Transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Problems Shifting117
- Problem With The ECM58
- Loses Power Or Won't Shift Into Higher Gear3
- Cracked Flex Plate/Torque Converter1
- Died While Driving1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission121
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission: Floor Shift ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota RAV4 Model Years
Curious how the 2001 RAV4 compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota RAV4 overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the RAV4.