- March 23: Toyota Fuel Pump Class Action Says Cars Suddenly Stall news | 12 days ago
- March 19: Toyota Recalls Highlanders To Prevent Stalled Engines recalls | 16 days ago
- March 14: Toyota Brake Failure Lawsuit Says Recall Is Needed news | 21 days ago
- March 8: Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Fuel Tank Class Action Lawsuit news | 27 days ago
- March 4: Toyota Fuel Pump Recall Expanded To Nearly 2 Million Vehicles recalls | 31 days ago
Oil Sludge Resulting In Engine Failure
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 86,550 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 11 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace engine (10 reports)
- not sure (1 reports)