- February 20: Toyota Recalls Sequoia and Tundra For Seat and Stability Problems recalls | 2 days ago
- February 15: Toyota Recalls Camrys Due to Fuel Leaks and Possible Fires recalls | 7 days ago
- February 14: Toyota 'Tire Savings Event' Lawsuit Dismissed news | 8 days ago
- February 5: Toyota Prius IPM Recall Was Useless, Says Plaintiff in Lawsuit news | 17 days ago
- January 31: Toyota Recalls 645,000 Vehicles For Airbag Failures recalls | 22 days ago
NHTSA — Power Train: Automatic Transmission Problems
2002 Toyota RAV4 (Page 5 of 13)
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
- Crashes / Fires:
- 6 / 1
- Injuries / Deaths:
- 2 / 0
- Average Mileage:
- 106,019 miles
About These NHTSA Complaints:
This data is from the NHTSA — the US gov't agency tasked with vehicle safety. Complaints are spread across multiple & redundant categories, & are not organized by problem.
So how do you find out what problems are occurring? For this NHTSA complaint data, the only way is to read through the comments below. Any duplicates or errors? It's not us.