- October 26: Toyota Bluetooth Echo Problems Cause Lawsuit news | 18 days ago
- October 20: Toyota Airbag Recall Issued For 928,000 Vehicles recalls | 24 days ago
- October 16: Toyota Hybrid Battery Warranty Extended For 2020 Models news | 28 days ago
- October 14: Toyota 4Runners Recalled By Southeast Toyota Distributors recalls | 30 days ago
- October 14: Recall: 2020 Toyota Supra Cars May Be Replaced recalls | 30 days ago
2002 Toyota RAV4
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
2002 Toyota RAV4 Transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Problems Shifting137
- Jerking And Hesitating124
- Main Computer And Transmission Failure58
- Transmission Failure49
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission254
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota RAV4 Model Years
Curious how the 2002 RAV4 compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota RAV4 overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the RAV4.