- August 18: $242.1 Million Awarded in Lexus ES 300 Seatback Lawsuit news | 2 days ago
- August 14: Toyota Prius Windshield Replacement Lawsuit Argued in Court news | 6 days ago
- July 31: Toyota Air Conditioner Smell Lawsuit Says Mold Builds Up news | 20 days ago
- July 27: Toyota Camry Mold Smells Cause Lawsuit news | 24 days ago
- June 25: SUV Crash Test Ratings For 2018 Models news | 56 days ago
2002 Toyota RAV4
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
2002 Toyota RAV4 Transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- problems shifting136
- jerking and hesitating123
- main computer and transmission failure58
- transmission failure49
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission254
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota RAV4 Model Years
Curious how the 2002 RAV4 compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota RAV4 overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the RAV4.