- October 20: Toyota Airbag Recall Issued For 928,000 Vehicles recalls | 3 days ago
- October 16: Toyota Hybrid Battery Warranty Extended For 2020 Models news | 7 days ago
- October 14: Toyota 4Runners Recalled By Southeast Toyota Distributors recalls | 9 days ago
- October 14: Recall: 2020 Toyota Supra Cars May Be Replaced recalls | 9 days ago
- October 10: BMW Recalls 257,000 Vehicles For Backup Camera Problems recalls | 13 days ago
2002 Toyota RAV4 (Page 1 of 7)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 97,400 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 137 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (56 reports)
- rebuild the transmission, replace ECM (41 reports)
- replace ecm (18 reports)
- rebuild the transmission (12 reports)
- replace computer engine (6 reports)
- re flash computer (3 reports)