- February 17: Owning An Electric Car Is More Expensive Than a Gas-Powered Vehicle news | 4 days ago
- February 10: Toyota Fuel Pump Recall Not Good Enough, Says Lawsuit news | 11 days ago
- February 9: Toyota Recalls Vehicles To Replace Engines recalls | 12 days ago
- February 6: 2019-2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Fuel Tank Issue Causes Lawsuit news | 15 days ago
- January 31: Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Gas Tank Problems Cause Lawsuit news | 21 days ago
2002 Toyota RAV4 (Page 1 of 7)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 97,400 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 137 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (56 reports)
- rebuild the transmission, replace ECM (41 reports)
- replace ecm (18 reports)
- rebuild the transmission (12 reports)
- replace computer engine (6 reports)
- re flash computer (3 reports)