- July 21: Toyota Tacoma Trucks Recalled For Child Seat Issues recalls | 19 days ago
- July 21: Toyota Recalls RAV4, RAV4 Hybrid and RAV4 Prime recalls | 19 days ago
- July 13: Toyota Recalls 2022 Tundra and Tundra Hybrid Trucks recalls | 27 days ago
- July 4: Toyota Prius Inverter Failure Settlement Preliminarily Approved news | 36 days ago
- June 25: Toyota Recalls Tundras With Axle Problems recalls | 45 days ago
Jerking And Hesitating
2002 Toyota RAV4 (Page 1 of 7)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 98,800 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 125 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (47 reports)
- replace ecm (35 reports)
- replace transmission (19 reports)
- replace ecm and transmission (6 reports)
- rebuilt transmission and reflashed (5 reports)
- Toyota has issued an extended warranty on this issue 10 year / 150k (5 reports)