8.0

$110

1. repaint car (9 reports)
2011 Toyota RAV4 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota RAV4:

2011 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Feb 012019

RAV4 Limited V6

I own a 2011 RAV4 Unlimited. I love my car and want to drive it as long as I can. I am embarrassed to be seen in it now due to the black patches of peeled off paint on the right fender and near the sunroof. I am seeing at least 12 other similar complaints about the bubbling up and peeling off paint. It appears that there is no base coat on this car. The peeled paint goes all the way down to the bare metal. Stadium Toyota has refused to repaint the affected areas. I was quoted $6,000 to repaint the car by another vendor. This is obviously a factory defect and Toyota should take care of the issue.

- Mona A., Tampa, FL, US

Oct 272018

RAV4 Pearl 6 cyl

I have a 2011 RAV4 unlimited and the paint has peeled off the hood,,,pearl blizzard paint. I'd say toyota has crappy paint!! I'm going to check where I bought it and see what can be done I believe its terrible paint!! Never again pearl white,,,or toyota if I can't get this resolved!!

- rosebud10, Batesville, US

Aug 092016

RAV4 LTD V6

Rav 4 2011 LTD Blizzard Pearl paint started peeling about 2 years ago between the sunroof and the front windshield. I brought it to dealer and they said there is nothing they can do and they don't know why it was happening. Over the past two years it's been coming off of the front near the wheelwells. Over the past few months, it's been flying off the roof of my car in sheets, it's almost entirely gone now. I have videos and pictures of it but haven't uploaded them yet. It comes off when the wind is blowing and my car is at a standstill. Horrible problem as no one is going to want to buy a car with no paint...

- Melissa S., Easton, US

Dec 182018

RAV4 LX 4 cyl

The paint has started to peel in sheets off of the roof of the Rav4 in patches. I have it at a shop now to get an estimate and can provide photos later. The white paint is separating from the primer; it does not seem to adhere at all. This started suddenly when the outdoor temperature dropped but for no other apparent reason. It is extremely unsightly.

- Ginna B., Sequim, WA, US

Apr 022018

RAV4 Sport V4

Called Toyota they said there is no problem with peeling. I said why is the paint peeling?

- Mike G., Sebastian, FL, US

Jun 012015

RAV4 LTD V6

Top of windshield to sunroof. Gas cap cover. Blistered and sloughing off. Blizzard Pearl White seems to be very common. Toyota refuses to deal with this common issue. Perhaps a class action lawsuit would be in order?

- Paul T., Chilliwack, BC, Canada

Jan 302018

RAV4

makes me very sad

paint is bubbling and peeling off around the door handle.

- Chris B., Oxford, MA, US

Jan 302015

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

Bought used 02/14 with 36,000 miles in nice condition at Allen Toyata in Gulfport, MS. After a year or some the paint started flaking off between the windshield and the sunroof all the way to the metal.. I have also have a half dollar size one on my front passenger fender come off. Car has been taken care of and have had no exposure to any chemicals. Dealership would not fix problem, The paint is a white pearl blizzard and this is obviously a poor paint application by Toyota, I even saw another one just like mine same color/year with the same problem on the top, This is definitely a manufacturing defect. Will try to call Toyota customer service but I don't hold out much hope. Sure don't need to have to pay for paint job! I have only bought Toyotas for years and my kids and grand kids drive Toyotas. Can tell you that if Toyota does not repaint this vehicle it will be my and my families last one.

- connie5104, Ocean Springs, US

Feb 072012

RAV4 Limited V6

Also having problems with the Blizzard Pearl paint on my 2011 RAV4. I let the dealer know within the first year of owning the vehicle that something was wrong with the paint on it. Was already showing defects and had whole "wavy" sections in it and requested it be repainted. I was told that this was due to how the paint is applied and possibly because of the temperature at the time of application but that there was nothing wrong with it. I continued to voice complaints. Since then, the vehicle has had small sections of paint chip off (in areas where it is very unlikely to be due to a door ding or rock bouncing from the roadway) -- no DENTS, just no paint. The newest spot is between the windshield and the sunroof and is sizable -- a 2-3 inch swath of paint just gone. Toyota really needs to pay attention to their customers. I am extremely disappointed and expect Toyota to stand by its lack of quality in this area.

- why toyota?, Billerica, US

May 082017

RAV4 Limited 2.4L L4 Dohc

paint peeling paint peeling

This problem is identical to the numerous complaints reported by others. On my 2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited edition the Blizzard pearl paint has slough off between the sun roof and the top of the windshield. It is obvious that this specific type of paint has a tendency to flake off and surmise it is a manufacturing issue and most likely attributed to the methodology of its' application to the vehicle. I find it incredulous that on one complaint the Toyota rep indicated it was caused by paint chips. As others mentioned there are some paint chips on the hood resulting from being pelted by the occasional road rock. And the hood is not peeling so that explanation is bogus.

- Andy M., Indian Trail, NC, US

Mar 012016

RAV4 2.4L

click to see larger images

paint peeling paint peeling paint peeling paint peeling

Paint began peeling about 1.5 years ago. Called Toyota and they said it happens. It is happening in several areas and my resale is plummeting. Toyota should do the right thing and investigate my vehicle. They said they would not.

- Vaughn P., Ridgefield, WA, US

Jul 152016

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

paint peeling

Same problem here, peeling roof paint in large flakes. Blizzard Pearl is the culprit every time (btw it is not water based paint). Dealer says no warranty coverage, I guess I will go to corporate, maybe I will have some luck there but... Body shop guy I talked to said second one he has seen this month, wants $900 to paint whole roof. This is a factory production issue not a weather or "impact" problem.

- Tim S., Woodstock, ON, Canada

Sep 052016

RAV4 Sport Wagon V4

What kind of cheap paint job is applied at the factory? It is my understanding that this is a common problem with Toyotas (which this is my 1st one)

- Patrick B., Earleville, MD, US