ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

6.8

2016 Toyota RAV4 accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Toyota RAV4:

2016 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Oct 192016

RAV4

Vehicle was traveling at the speed limit on an interstate highway. No other vehicles in front or side. The sun roof glass exploded. No personal injuries.

- Dripping Springs, TX, USA

Jan 022018

RAV4

Sunroof glass shattered while driving on highway. Vehicle was under or near an overpass when the incident happened, so it is possible that something dropped from the overpass and struck the sunroof, but we did not see anything fall.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Dec 262017

RAV4

While driving the sunroof shattered sending galss onto my wife and the car behind us.

- Antrim, NH, USA

May 082017

RAV4

The contact owns a 2016 Toyota Rav4. While driving 55 mph, a rock struck the windshield and caused it to fracture. The contact was concerned that the windshield may not have been properly constructed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The conatct was informed by the dealer that the repair part was on backorder. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 9,421.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Apr 082017

RAV4

After leaving a restaurant with our grandchild getting into our 2016 Toyota Rav4 vehicle, glass started falling off the back of the roof as we pulled out on the hightway. It appears that possibly a four doors closing close to the same time shattered our sunroof. I took the vehicle to lombard Toyota in lombard, il where they deemed it "road damage at highway speed". I corrected the service rep to clarify we were just taking off from the restaurant after getting into the car. The remaining glass was pushed upward and not inward. This is obviously a defective sunroof on the Rav4, but neither the local dealership nor the Toyota customer service representative will take responsibility. After close to two weeks unable to drive the car, I just picked it up yesterday. The bill--$1400 I see other sunroof have been reported blowing up. Thankfully, we had inside door closed. Never again will I purchase a vehicle with a sunroof, especially from Toyota.

- Winfield, IL, USA

Mar 122016

RAV4

My 2016 Rav4 le comes with a side view mirror that has a built in non-adjustable blind spot mirror. This blind spot mirror does not show the blind spot area. It shows an area two lanes away from the vehicle. Page 154 of the Rav4 owners manual erroneously indicates this additional mirror is a blind spot mirror and has a diagram erroneously showing how it functions.the blind spot mirror is misleading and dangerous. I discussed this with the Toyota dealership and they said I needed to get approval from the Toyota Corp. To replace the glass mirror insert. Toyota Corp refused my request and told me to file a complaint with NHTSA. Attached is a sequence of three pictures showing how the blind spot mirror doesn't show an approaching vehicle until it is too late. This is particularly confusing and dangerous at night. You get to see headlights from two lanes over and not the headlights actually approaching you. A Toyota person told me I should have bought the $8000 more expensive 2016 Rav4 which is the only way to get the side view mirrors with sensors. This is a bad way to make money. All I want is for Toyota to authorize the use of the interchangeable glass mirror inserts used on previous year Rav4 vehicles and to stop installing the dangerous side view mirrors with built in non-adjustable blind spot mirrors. The vision is poor on the Rav4 and Toyota should have reasonably priced the sensors and vision items for all models instead of only making these safety items available on vehicles loaded with high price features. Toyota needs to put safety first. I have high regard for Toyota and previously purchased three Toyota vehicles that were extremely good and lasted a long time. They all had great visibility. The Rav4 could have and should have been designed with much better vision.

- Claremont, CA, USA

Feb 032016

RAV4

My car was 4 days old. I was driving in the pouring rain, on a highway going 55-60mph, with no other vehicles ahead of me or on the side of me. My sunroof spontaneously exploded! the sunroof was in the closed position at the time but the cloth cover was open. Luckily it exploded outward but some tiny slivers of glass did cover the inside.

- Miller Place, NY, USA