6.7

2020 Toyota RAV4 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2020 Toyota RAV4:

2020 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Oct 102020

RAV4 XLE PRE

You buy a new car so you don't have these problems. I was told Toyota knows of the problem but won't upgrade the battery. I have had Toyotas for over 30 Years and never had a problem. The battery is not strong enough for all the electrical devices. Toyota is not as quality driven as before.

- Daniel S., Katy, TX, US

Nov 212020

RAV4 XLE

I have had my new 2020 Toyota Rav 4 XLE for about 1 month, with less that 1k miles on it. Yesterday, it would not start. Locked steering wheel and brake. Wouldn't turn over. The screen said - See Dealer. Electronics seemed to work. I drove the car the night before home from work, less than 12 hours prior. Started fine the day before.

I called my mechanic, and he came over to my house, tested the battery. The voltage was low. He put the battery charger on it and it started right up.

I have made an appointment with the dealer to get it looked at. A brand new car with less than 1k miles should not be going dead.

Lights were not left on, doors were closed and locked. This is not IDEAL! Why have a car if you cant depend on it to get you to work?!?!

- christinalynn, Odenton, US

Aug 142020

RAV4 LE

Left a message for the closest dealership. 1 1/2 hours no response. Went on their website/chat, told me they were taking care of it/providing for a tow. Three hours after that got a call from the dealership which didn't know about the 'chat'. I called the 24/7 number which responded quickly. The tow company gave me a contact to learn when the tow would arrive but that number doesn't work. About 8 hours now from when discovering it dead in my driveway, still waiting. Next week I'm supposed to start a 6,000 mile trip, now I'm concerned.

Update from Aug 19, 2020: Follow-up. Six weeks old. 600 miles. The battery died in my driveway. Had been driven the day prior. The dealership charged the battery and tests found 'nothing wrong' and no recalls. Recommended to 'drive every day'. To me, this means there is a design flaw where part of the electrical system is only marginal, barely able to maintain itself and Toyota Corp. will not admit it or fix it.

2. The 24/7 roadside assistance section wants more feedback but makes it a major pain to attempt to do so.

- Mark H., Bradenton, FL, US