ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2005 Toyota Tacoma suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Tacoma:

2005 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Aug 092013

Tacoma

In August 2013 while I was living in Mexico taking care of my elderly father my 2005 Toyota Tacoma ay 67K miles started having noises in the suspension area. While I am not a mechanic I was referred to a man named adrian who specialized in suspensions and brakes. He drove my Tacoma and discovered the noise was caused by cracked leaf springs on the rear of my truck, I too was under the truck and saw the cracks and breakage. I contacted Toyota's customer care and was basically told " your truck in not under warranty so you will have to fix the truck your self ". I drove my other vehicle as the mechanic told me the vehicle was dangerous to drive as it was. I ordered some new leaf springs and had them shipped from summit racing, they were the few shops to offer international shipping. When the parts came in I had my mechanic install them for a very reasonable $120 usd. I saw that there were many owners of trucks like mine that has similar part failure so knew the problem was more than Toyota was telling and they were still not admitting there was a problem. Several months later I received a recall letter from Toyota and seeing than nearly 700,000 vehicle like mine were affected. I had already repaired the vehicle as I needed to be able to drive it and thought there might be in the future some reimbursement. I have now waited over two years for a reimbursement from Toyota and they keep asking for a written statement that the broken leaf springs "were not from some other external forces" and I keep getting the run around from Toyota's irritating customer service people. I still own the truck, still out the $722.97, and still exasperated that Toyota would be so unreasonable with a customer. Can you please help me in theis regard to recommend some Agency to help solve this ?

- Green Valley, AZ, USA

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Dec 012015

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

2005 Toyota Tacoma. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle frame rust. The consumer stated he took the vehicle to the dealer several times, only to be told there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. In 2014, the dealer was amazed at how bad the rust was.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated the vehicle was making an abnormal noise, while driving at any speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the leaf springs needed to be replaced. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 196,219. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Humboldt, TN, USA

Nov 182015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated the vehicle was making an abnormal noise while driving at approximately 25 mph. In addition, the vehicle jerked when making a stop. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 200,000. VIN tool confirms parts unavailable.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jan 142015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the vehicle had severe corrosion on the frame. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number :14V604000(suspension); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 84,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 052015

Tacoma

My truck frame is rusting abnormally. Toyota's official inspection found no holes >10mm.- no further action. The frame is bad. The corrosion I would guess is secondary to bad steel-not enough nickel" is there a standard for steel in this application" I need your help. I can't get Toyota to do the right thing on my own. Much sooner than it should this vehicle will be unsafe to drive. I mean a well maintained car (which this is) shouldn't be having this kind of problem. I mean the frame is rotting away. Something very wrong from the beginning. Dana mfg.? this has nothing to do with warranty and limits of liability. This truck came off the line defective. It just took a while to show. Appreciate your attention and any assistance you may provide.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Sep 162015

Tacoma

I brought this vehicle to my local repair place because of a loud noise under the truck and was advised that the entire frame was severely corroded to the point that it was dangerous to drive. I immediately contacted the dealership where the vehicle was purchased and scheduled an appointment to have it inspected. Further research has discovered that there is a limited service campaign ongoing through March,2016. At this time I am awaiting the results from the dealer's inspection.

- Willington, CT, USA

Sep 172015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension) however the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Nw Cleveland , TN, USA

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. MA 10/25/15 updated 01/29/16.

- Arlington , MA, USA

Jul 012015

Tacoma

In reference to U.S. district court for the western district of Arkansas case number: 1:14-cv-02208 I currently own a 05 Tacoma that has the frame rusted completely, I've contacted Toyota repeatedly about this issue and they are denying to fix this because this vehicle is no longer in the usa. My argument here is that Toyota has known about this problem and has had may complaints about it yet did nothing about it, they should fix this the vehicle regardless of where it is because it poses a major safety risk to my life and others on the road.

- Fort Lauderdale , FL, USA

Jul 012015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact noticed that the rear passenger side leaf spring fractured. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension); however, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 164,000.

- St. Albans, WV, USA

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension); however, the part was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to provide the part to do the repair. The manufacturer was notified and made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Saint Leonard, MD, USA

Jan 262015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Stonewall, LA, USA

Oct 202014

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension) and stated that the part was not available within a reasonable timeframe to schedule the recall repair. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer could not provide an estimated date for when the contact's vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Oct 132014

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Centerville, VA, USA

Jun 202015

Tacoma

I had complete failure to my rack and pinion steering due to excessive corrosion to the component. I was pulling into a business doing about 10 mph and the steering locked up completely. I checked the power steering fluid in the reservoir and it was completely empty. I checked under the truck and on the ground was a puddle of steering fluid. The vehicle was taken to a local garage and when he examined the truck to see what had happened, he stated that the rack and pinion had completed rotted out and broke. I also had him check the frame on my truck, since I received a tsb bulletin about the excessive corrosion due to not enough frame undercoating being applied in cold states. He found a large hole behind the catalytic converter in the frame. The mechanic checked the rest of the frame and found some smaller perforations as well. My questions is if the frame is beginning to rot and they are selectively replacing the frames or vehicle if they are a danger, why are no other components that are attached to these failing parts covered as well and failing due to excessive rot or rusting. If any of these components failed during normal driving conditions on the highway at normal speed the results could have been devastating to all involved, possibly leading to severe injury or death. Something more needs to be done to bring attention to the Toyota motor company not standing behind their vehicles they produce and the safety of the people who own and operate them. Toyota needs to stop playing the "its not covered or applicable" game and take ownership and fix it before someone does get killed. I have owned 5 Toyota's previously and felt very safe up until now, now I am not to sure!

- Schuylkill Haven, PA, USA

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension). The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The dealer and manufacturer were notified multiple times. The contact was informed not to call back and that he would be notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 012015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received a notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension). The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for repair; however, the part was not made available by the manufacturer. The contact stated that the dealer and manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the repair. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Grand Island, NY, USA

May 012006

Tacoma

Less than one year after purchase the rear leaf springs failed on both sides. Two dealers plus Toyota headquarters refused service, so I had to pay for a private spring shop to replace them. They have since been recalled but to date I have not received reimbursement. In 2014 the steering shaft had to be replaced and at the same time the frame was determined corroded beyond repair. Toyota made promise to replace the frame under recall in Nov 2014 but to date has not delivered and has not indicated when I can expect the repair to be made. For over six months now I have been left with an unsafe vehicle that I can't sell or replace.

- Waikoloa, HI, USA