CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 55 of 56)

May 012005

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 30 mph, the electric power steering indicator was flashing, which indicated that the power steering was not working. The failure made steering difficult. The lack of power steering almost caused numerous crashes. The current mileage was 60,440 and failure mileage was 56,000.

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

Oct 012008

Cobalt

I was driving on a straight road when all the sudden on my 06 Cobalt the power steering went out and the dashboard says power steering. It would not work and had to manually turn it. This is a danger for many reasons. There is over 5000 complaints on the internet and this needs to be taken seriously!!

- Omaha, NE, USA

Sep 292008

Cobalt

I was driving my 2006 Chevy Cobalt when the power steering went out and I received a power steering error message. I took it to a GM certified dealer to be diagnosed and my steering column control motor had shorted out causing me to lose my power steering. This part being an electric motor is not covered under warranty and the electric circuit failed under its own Accord. My power steering has not show any other problems before this incident and regular maintenance has been performed. I was able to get stopped safely but the loss of my power steering at a high speed could have resulted in a severe accident or harm to others. The entire motor must be replaced for a cost of $850 for this short not to occur again.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 062008

Cobalt

In my sons 2006 Chevy Cobalt, at any giving time the power steering light comes on the dash and he loses steering on the vehicle, once you cycle the ignition it works for a little while then happens again. I have read several complaints about this and it's costly to repair over $2000. I know GM knows about this so why aren't they doing something about this mechanical issue that is going to kill someone!! I believe a recall should be done because of the unsafe issue while driving or turning a vehicle and lose control. This problems happens at least 3-4 times a day and son just doesn't have the money to repair. He just joined the army in Sept. 4, 2008 and is going to need his car in va. For his training. Could you please provide a push to GM on this issue.. please!! thank you..

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 282008

Cobalt

My electric power steering in my 2006 Cobalt has gone out about ten times at random times in the past two days. Going about 65 mph on the highway it shut off scaring the light out of me. It shuts off at random times and if you turn the car off and back on it will start working again. I believe this is not safe to have happen in any car. I only have about 25,000 miles on my car for it to start acting up. I am going to take it to the dealer ship tomorrow morning to see if my warranty covers it. I have seen boards online and many people are having the same problem with there Cobalts.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 242008

Cobalt

I turned on my car today to go to work and it read "power steering" on my gauge. I try to back my car out and it was extremely hard to turn. I put it in drive to drive and drive it around my addition and it began to jerk and act like it was going to die. I turned it off and back on and it was still having the same problem. I went to my local autozone to see if they could tell me what was wrong with it, but of course when the tech rode around in the car with me the problem completely stopped. I have read many blogs of the happening with the 2006 Cobalts. And, of course, it is no longer in warranty. As a single young adult I can not afford to fix this. With our economy problems we have today I can barely afford to live.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 012008

Cobalt

Intermittently loses power steering while driving. (known defect by dealer).

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 052008

Cobalt

I was leaving my apartment complex and was in the process on turning right onto the main street when my car wouldn't allow me to continue to turn right so I forced it until I was straight again and then I had to stop(in the street) to see why I couldn't turn and my message board was flashing power steering. I then tried to turn into a business to get off the main road but couldn't turn in so I turned off my car and started it again and the power steering returned but only for a few seconds. I had to continue to stop and turn my car off and turn it on again just to return to my residence. The power steering is completely gone and I can't even drive my car. I called GM and they told me there was nothing they could do since it was out of warranty and I called the dealership and they told me to bring it in but I informed them that I lived three hours away and didn't feel safe driving the car down the highway and they said all they could do was have me bring it in and can cut me a deal on the repair. I informed both companies that I was not working and they told me there was nothing they could do. I went online to see if there were others with this same problem when I found that there are several people with the same problem and nothing is being done about it. I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt lt.

- Temple , TX, USA

Sep 092008

Cobalt

Power steering does not work. I know several other owners with the same problem. Please advise me on a solution and reason for such on a new car.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Aug 222008

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 85 mph, the power steering warning light appeared on the instrument panel. Seconds later, the contact noticed that the power steering failed. When he turned off and restarted the vehicle, the power steering worked properly. The dealer stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The contact did not notice any differences beforehand. The current and failure mileages were 57,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 222008

Cobalt

The electric power steering randomly failed, making steering nearly impossible. The power steering comes on whenever I turn the car off and back on, but it fails repeatedly. It happened about ten times over the course of 3 hours of delivery driving for a chinese restaurant. I have not done anything to correct the failure, because to replace the electric power steering motor, the entire steering column must be replaced, and that costs almost $2000. I cannot afford that, but I still have to make my living delivering pizza and chinese food, and I'm truly scared that I'll end up dead or severely injured as long as this problem persists.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Aug 212008

Cobalt

My 2006 Chevy Cobalt keeps having power steering issues. I've taken it back to the shop only for them to say there was a computer error. They get the check engine light to come off, but two weeks later it does it again. My power steering goes completely out with my transmission knocking. I took it in back in July and the problem keeps coming back. I've researched this online, and seen that there are a lot of other people who has had this done to them as well.

- Merced, CA, USA

Aug 212008

Cobalt

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt that I purchased used in August of 2007. Recently the power steering has been going out (while the car is in operation) which makes it very difficult and very dangerous because it becomes nearly impossible to turn the wheel. My wife has had this happen to her several times just in the last two weeks and it has happened to me a few times. My research online into this issues shows that it is not unique to my vehicle at any means, many people have suffered the same thing and notices have been sent to GM about this, so far with no result. I fear that if it hasn't happened already, the wrong car will go out on the wrong person trying to make a turn and a fatality will be the result if this car's unusual steering system isn't recalled soon.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Aug 182008

Cobalt

This is the 7th trip to the service center since December 2007. The same symptoms happen on each trip. The electric power steering fails. The lights on the dash board light up. The car starts to buck and the steering wheel is almost unbearable to drive. The gear shift clicks and makes strange noises.

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

Aug 082008

Cobalt

Friday night at a gas station. Started the car. Engine shut off when placed in reverse. Would stay running in park, neutral, and drive. Drove the car home. Called langs Chevrolet in beavercreek, Ohio Saturday morning. Was going to drive car in to dealership. Car would not start intermittently. When the car did start, it would run for 2-10 seconds then "power steering" would come on. Air bag lights would come on. Various intermittent codes would come on. Most of the time the all gauges would go off and the car would not start. Lang had car towed to dealership Saturday.. feels like the steering column is loose. Also, front suspension/steering makes rattling noise over rough surfaces. Will make a rattling noise while sitting still and moving steering wheel back and forth will repost with the results. Others...please do not repost the same complaint! this bogs down our search capabilities. Thank you, paulj

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jul 282008

Cobalt

2006 Chevy Cobalt - randomly loses power steering. Has been occurring 3-4 times per week. Has been to Chevy dealership 3 times (still under warranty) - they say they cannot find any problem. This is a dangerous situation as it has occurred while driving at 55 mph. Car has to be stopped and restarted for power steering to go "back on". I have read many complaints regarding this same thing occurring in other Cobalt vehicles. There has not been an accident yet, but this needs to be addressed.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jul 212008

Cobalt

Chevrolet Cobalt steering issues and electronic controls. The electronic power steering fails when driving, the dash lights light up and the car bucks and is very hard to steer. This is the 6th visit since December 8, 2007. Service visits on 12-8-07 (computer reset, steering column replaced), 4-29-08 (computer reset, no work done), 5-21-08 (updated software to BCM and ebcm), 6-26-08 (BCM replaced, replaced GM high speed land terminal, and power steering module), 7-21-08 (replaced psm terminal connector) twice. Could not even drive car off the lot. Car still in shop. Service technician stated " we have no idea what the problem is." GM to make visit to service center to assess situation. This car is unsafe to drive. When the steering goes out the car is not as responsive to control at highway speeds and is unsafe.

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

Jul 132008

Cobalt

What else my power steering keeps going out and I can't believe the NHTSA won't do a thing about it. What's it going to take 100S of deaths to get anything done. I can't stress it enough. Its a Chevy problem but yet Chevy want the owner to shell out $2000 to get this fixed. Are you kidding me! I can't believe that this form has the question "number of deaths" shouldn't we be trying to prevent deaths with this thing not total them up. Frankly I surprised there aren't more deaths. You have no clue how hard this car is to turn. Maybe if I put 100 deaths in the blank someone will actually read the complaints and how the courage to do something about it! here a website for 90 more complains. www.topix.com/forum/autos/Chevrolet-Cobalt/T8fmsuqb7V2dth5jh what to help us out"?"

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jul 022008

Cobalt

My car has the power steering constantly just shutting off while I am driving and fear that I will not be able to keep control of the vehicle every single time this happens to me. My fiance has almost been in two wrecks because the power steering shuts off at random times while driving.

- Saint Joseph, MO, USA

Jun 262008

Cobalt

I own a 2006 Chevy Cobalt lt, which I purchased brand new. It now have 62,000 miles on it. Yesterday (6/26/2008), was my first incident with a problem that has continued into today. I was driving on the highway and the car bell beeped twice. I looked at my dashboard which read "power steering" and at that moment, I lost all power steering to my vehicle. I immediately became nervouse, pulled over, and shut the car down. When I started the car up again, the problem was gone. Now, randomly, I have lost pwer steering 5 times and each time it goes away with shutting the car down. Since these have been random events, they have made my car dangerous to operate as they have been occuring on the highway, while making a U-turn, and while parallel parking on a busy street. The car will be brought to the dealership to be diagnosed and has not been diagnosed yet. The problem has been common with other 2005-2006 Cobalt owners and many times, the entire steering column has needed to be replaced.

- Saugus, MA, USA