Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 092011

The key can not be removed from the ignition switch. Eventhough the shifter is in the park position. The key does not return to the remove position. You can turn the engine off, but the key remains in the accessory position so the battery runs down. Repeated efforts of cycling the shifter and turning the wheel does not rectify the problem. When I took it to the dealer the shifter was replaced at a cost of $287. Fortunately, this happened when I returned home and was able to park in my own garage. It would have been unfortunate if I had been on a trip or an important errand and would have to left the key in the ignition in a public area. When I "googled" this problem on the internet in an effort to find a simple solution, I found numerous similar complaints in regards to the Cobalt car.

- Moore, OK, USA

Nov 202010

Driving down the road the power steering light comes on, power steering goes out, RPM, speedometer and fuel gauges go to zero then rapidly move back and forth, transmission slips, check engine light and auto theft lights come on. I have had the power steering recall fixed. This has happened multiple times now. At first it would go away if the vehicle was restarted, however, now I have to have it towed to the dealership to have it fixed. This will be the second trip to the dealership in 1.5 weeks.

- Nevada, IA, USA

Nov 272009

The power steering of my 2007 Chevy Cobalt went out Nov 27, 2009, late at nite on I-95 - freaked me out and caused me to be stranded! no dealerships service dept. Open on weekends, so I gave up and drove it back to Florida on Sunday (took 10 hours). Anyway, called local dealership, Chevy corporate and filed a complaint with NHTSA... unfortunately I had no choice but to take it to dealer for diagnostics and then call corporate back where they said they "might be able to assist with repairs but wouldn't know until diagnostics were done..." dealership informed me that they "believe" the problem could be solved by replacing the power steering motor if I would only pay $350 for labor (they would generously donate the motor...) I declined (for now anyway) as we will try to repair it ourselves... I cannot afford to pay for this and shouldn't have to as the car isn't that old. The warranty just ran out in September as seems to be the case for many who's blogs I have read. They also noted on the summary that the motor might not actually take care of the problem and if it didn't then they would have to replace the steering column for another $800 plus labor !! my car has not yet been repaired and is still dangerous so I don't drive it unless I just have to go somewhere and have no other option.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Apr 302009

Clutch failure, theres a mechanism that does not allow you to spin the wheels into 3rd gear on the 2007 Chevy Cobalt ss. This mechanism has caused my girlfriends clutch to be burned up over a one month period. The vechicles clutch no longer fully disengages and will not allow the car to move. The part(s) have not been established yet because it is currently in the shop as of 3 P.M. today. If you would like more information on this please contact me through either my email or phone number, or even reedman of langhorne.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Apr 112009

While driving down the road my power steering light flashed and suddenly I could barely turn the wheel I was able to get to a gas station and my car is currently being repaired but thousands of other people have had the same problem with this car which was easy to see with just a little research online.

- Waverly, VA, USA