CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 2 of 12)

Jun 262015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While the vehicle was parked, it burst into flames. The contact was alerted by the sound of an explosion that came from the vehicle. The fire was extinguished by the fire department. A police report was not filed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Laneville, TX, USA

Apr 202012

Cobalt

The vehicle has a built in anti theft system. This system is controlled by a computer. As well as an etching in the key that is recognized by the ignition. This has been an on going problem for us where the anti theft system will engage while you are driving. When this happens you lose your instrumentation, power steering, your transmission slips and your engine sputters. This has happened to us at high speed in the freeway, slow speed on city streets and everything in between. The real issue is that it is so sporadic that our local GM dealer is unable to assess the issue.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Feb 062015

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was backing up out of my driveway to let another car out and as soon as I put the car in reverse the car made the chime noise as if it was telling me to put on my seatbelt seconds later power steering was flashing on the dashboard the RPM gauge was jumping, the fuel gauge was jumping back and forth, low fuel blinking on dashboard with full tank of gas, steering wheel very hard to turn, check engine light is on, security lock light is on, transmission clicks when shifting. Called the dealer I financed the car from he told me to take it to a shop called precision auto services he couldn't figure out problem said most likely it was a computer issue so I called GM customer service to inform what was going on they had the car towed to bob johnson Chevrolet and they did a recall on the ignition switch also said there was a broken shift cable installed a new cable, they also had to replace serpentine belt. After all that I pick up car and make payment a week and a half later car does the same thing. I call and explain to service assistant manager he says that he didn't check for power steering after I explained was the whole purpose of having the car looked at long story short he gave me the run around so I thought to look elsewhere I took it to another shop where it was diagnosed free of charge he said that there were lots of codes on my car. But the car was back to normal after diagnosis then about 3 weeks later same problem took it back he explained to me that whoever disconnected a remote starter on my car didn't do it properly causing the modules in the car to not communicate. I paid to have that repaired 2 weeks later same problem now mechanic tells me its transmission control module which costs almost $500 which is over my budget. I'm making payments on something that I should be able to drive to and from work safe and comfortably. Please help!

- Rochester, NY, USA

Mar 192015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that after turning the vehicle on, the entire instrument panel illuminated. Also, the contact stated that the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,300.

- Portsmouth, OH, USA

Mar 252015

Cobalt 4-cyl

The key is stuck on the on position an stuck in the ignition {can not get the key out of the ignition }.

- Halifax, PA, USA

Feb 262015

Cobalt

Cobalt will randomly display car lock symbol and check engine light on the dash. The gauges on the dash (speedometer, gas, etc.) begin to flash back and forth, and error messages come up saying "no fuel", "power steering" and rotate between the two. While the car is doing this, it becomes hard to accelerate and the car surges randomly. It's happened frequently, and we have taken the car in to several different mechanics, all who cannot figure out what is causing the issue. We have replaced the main computer, and still are having the same issues. It is not safe to drive as I cannot see how fast I am going when the gauges start to go crazy, and the car will begin to think it's out of gas, even on a full tank. We have had so many issues with Chevrolet cars over the past few years that we no longer wish to purchase from them.

- Gold Canyon, AZ, USA

Feb 122015

Cobalt

My head lights will not go off unless I unplug my battery, and my signal light won't go off the chavy dealer claims not to know what's going on with it unless I pay them $200, first. Its been about 30 days now that this has been going on.

- Oxford, NC, USA

Nov 242013

Cobalt 4-cyl

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle engine problems. The consumer stated the vehicle was recalled for the exact problem she experienced.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Dec 162014

Cobalt

My Chevrolet Cobalt 2007 was called for a recall, even though my car was running perfectly I decided to take it to the closest Chevrolet dealership to me. At the dealership they changed the power steering wheel, the ignition and all that had to do with it, and to my surprise they also changed the fuel pump. When I received my car from the dealer I noticed a fuel odor coming from my car, I did not pay attention to it because I thought it was normal since they changed the fuel pump. After a couple of days I took my car back since I noticed a big gas leak on the driveway when I moved my car. The dealership checked the car and said it had nothing to do with the recall and that the filler neck was cracked, and that I might have possibly hit my car and cracked the filler neck. I was very frustrated and I talked to managers and everything, but the only response I got was that they will not cover it and that I will have to pay for it. After calling General Motors and Chevrolet, they told me that I had to pay $500 dollars for the repair and that they will cover the rest. I was very upset and frustrated, but I am a college student and I work, so I needed my car. I paid the $500 dollars out of credit cards because I did not have the money for a mistake that they made and people at the dealership even told me they did because they said that the filler neck is plastic and that with the weather changes in houston when "handled" can crack easily. I thought it was a total fraud and I want my $500 dollars back and also the fee they charged to check it which was almost $85 dollars.

- Humble, TX, USA

Jan 062015

Cobalt 4-cyl

I purchase the car from schofield in 2008 it has had two recalls one on the gas tank and another on the steering column now it is acting up everyday I think it is due to the cold weather and it has to be a manufacturing issue the warning lights began to flash on come on the gauges go up and down like crazy the gas hand goes up and then below empty the car loses power the power steering light comes on the brake light comes on it begins to make a clicking noise and it jerks as it drives I am so afraid to drive my car because of these defects, I took the car into scofield a couple of weeks ago they said they could not find anything wrong but it is obvious there are things that are wrong when I tried to turn a corner its like the power steering goes out I have the papers from schofield I need someone to help me please I don't want to be another victim of this car.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Dec 012014

Cobalt

On the 2007 Chevy Cobalt, the key gets stuck in the accessory position and cannot be removed. You must either jump the car or push the switch under the steering column to remove the key. With the key in the accessory position, the battery drains and renders the radio inactive. This adds to an additional safety concern because the seatbelt chime and blinker sound go through the radio and cannot be heard when the radio is inactive. Chevy stated that you must bring in the car to have the radio reprogrammed for $130 each time the battery goes dead.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Jun 012014

Cobalt

I had my ignition switch replaced by a GM dealer, now the airbag light is on. I noticed on the ignition recall it mentioned the airbag. So I'm wondering if this airbag light is on due to something with the switch replacement.

- Lordsburg, NM, USA

Dec 102014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Several months ago got notice that ignition lock was "recalled" by GM. Shortly after that I noted the "service air bag" light was on periodically. Stopped at GM dealer and was advised that parts would not be available until Oct 2014. Got another notice that it was time to get recall fixed. I took my vehicle in for replacement of ignition lock, which was done on 12/10/2014, got home and saw "service air bag" light was on. Called dealer and was advised that "air bag" light was not part of the recall. Have another appointment for 17th to get it checked. Recall 14V047000 is "airbag and electrical" but it doesn't cover airbag "?" I had trouble with this dealer years ago but he is the closest (within 30 miles) to me so I use him.

- Mill Hall, PA, USA

Dec 012014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt safety recall ignition switch the consumer was only given one set of keys, when the recall was performed. The dealer stated they would issue the second set in October. The consumer called the dealer in October, and was informed there was a shortage of keys and they did not know when the keys would be available.

- Hatboro, PA, USA

Nov 112014

Cobalt

Gauges going haywire message flash of low fuel and power steering clicking in the gear shift head light flashing snatching while shifting gears up or down with accelerated or decreased speed. At a turn to pull off the road power steering is lost and hard to turn. When I shut the car off and started it again every thing cleared until I reached 5 miles from start over point. Every time I start the car everything is fine until I drive it a little. I had this same problem 2 year ago and had it repaired @ jupiter Chevrolet. They said it was tcm, ECM module. I have it now @ reliable Chevrolet waiting for diagnostics.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 292014

Cobalt

My speakers on the front of the car go on and off as well as my inside turn signals. Now it has progressed to the check air bag indicator going on and off while starting and during driving. I have informed the dealership and was told it was several electrical problems. The airbag portion of it scares me as I am only 5 ft tall and sit close to the wheel. I don't want to fork over more money than the car is worth especially since I know there are several complaints for the same problem. Why not have a recall on at least the airbag part of the problem.

- Park City, KS, USA

Aug 142013

Cobalt

My car has a lot of electrical shortages or just don't work. The unlock button on the driver side will not unlock the rest of the doors and the lock button you have to hit multiple times for it to work. I have no sound out of the speaker in the driver side door and I have replaced it twice and it just continues to blow. I have no sound while my turn single is on. My passenger side air bag is disabled and I have a warning that says service air bag and the icon for the airbag on my panel. I have had it looked at and nobody can seem to determine what is wrong with it. The sound on my radio fades in and out and the button to turn the heat on for rear defrost, air conditioner and the one to circulate the car only worked when they want to. And every since I had the ignition and those recalls fixed the buttons on the right side of my steering wheel (info, reset buttons) only work occasionally.

- Rexville, NY, USA

Oct 062010

Cobalt

Speakers on the front left of the car had stopped working. There where no radio or turn signal sounds. I am not exactly sure of the date of any of the incidences but one of the times I had 1of the speakers they ordered factory speakers and they also stopped working. I brought it to there attention again and they said that they would look into it and get back to me. I never got an answer and I got busy with work andnlife in general. The car was still under warranty when I brought it up. When I mentioned it again the answer I got was that they could order new (stock) speakers and I was told the cost. This would have been a second replacement and may have worked but I didn't feel I should be the person paying for them. I feel they should have fixed them in the first place.

- Mishawaka, IN, USA

Apr 122014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Seat belt icon and light go off and on panel on drivers side. Cannot tell if this is just an electrical problem or something serious. No one seems to want to check it out. One repair shop said that the air bag will not employ if in accident.

- Lisle, IL, USA

Oct 102014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving in town and suddenly lost all power. I had to use the momentum of the car to move over 2 lanes of traffic in order to get pulled to the side of the road. Had it towed to the mechanic and found out that both the fuel pump and the electrical panel under my fuse box had gone out. This cost me over $1800 to have fixed and the mechanic states GM was aware of the fuse box issue and to watch for a recall. Also the fuel pump was a specialty that was not placed in most cars of this year/model and had to be ordered from the factory. The problems that are happening with these cars are ridiculous. GM should have to pay the owners to have the entire car replaced.

- Anderson , CA, USA