CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 27 of 29)

Jul 212009

Cobalt

The Chevy Cobalt has a major issue with the power steering motor. Around 41-44,000 miles the motor fails. It is an electric motor and all of a sudden just stops working and you loose power steering to the car. There are multiple cases of this that can be found by simply goggling Chevy Cobalt power steering. The motor has to be replaced and it can be very expensive. This is a defective part that should be recalled. I have a 2007 but I've heard of it on 2005's also. Please do something soon to protect would be consumers from the danger of this happening to them. When it happened to me I almost had an accident.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Aug 032009

Cobalt

I was almost involved in a head on collision due to the power steering failure of my 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt lt. I was turning left onto a busy street. The power steering failed and the message "power steering" was displayed on the dash. This caused me to drift into the on coming lane. If I hadn't acted quickly enough I would have been injured. It took a lot of effort to turn the wheel and save my own life. I understand that this is a know problem on all Chevrolet Cobalts due to the electronic steering assist. From what others have said, this happens randomly. Please help and save others. This will most certainly cause someone to have an accident.

- Arlington, TX, USA

May 212009

Cobalt

2007 Chevy Cobalt steering is defective and dangerous! I purchased a 2007 Cobalt in may of 2009 and have had in the shop 3 times since. Power steering column needed to be replaced twice. There needs to be a recall. Others have reported that their power steering goes out randomly creating a very dangerous situation!

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Aug 032009

Cobalt

Driving and power steering goes out.

- Neptune Beach, FL, USA

Jul 282009

Cobalt

Power steering goes out while driving - 'power steering' indicator lights up on dash. Only way to get power steering back is to shut car off and re-start. There is no warning or any apparent way of predicting when the power assisted steering module stops working. Potentially very dangerous situation if traveling at highway speeds!

- Plainfield, IN, USA

Jul 312009

Cobalt

Power steering is randomly failing on my 2007 Chevy Cobalt. My teenager drives this car, very scary for her to lose power steering. Researching the internet this seems to be a common problem for the Cobalt, a very dangerous common problem. A recall needs to be done by GM before someone dies. The cars are generally used by commuters and teenagers. Just got off the phone with GM, they acknowledge part failure.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Apr 162009

Cobalt

My Chevrolet Cobalt started to fail when I was driving, , I took it to the shop and they told me it was the power steering. Its going to cost me 1000 dlls to fix it I think this is to much. I have done some research and I am not the only person. With this problem, this is a very serious problem and it could cause major accidents. This something that always happens when im driving. Please take the time to talk to Chevrolet so this can be fixed.

- Roma, TX, USA

Jun 042009

Cobalt

My power steering is out on my 2007 Chevy Cobalt. I have looked online and there are so many people who are having the same exact problem. The power steering light flashes and if you turn the car off and back on it goes away, only to come back on a few miles downt he road. It normally occurs most when it's hot outside. The car is barely able to turn at all. It is an accident waiting to happen. I have two little children. I would hate for anything to happen. The car is no longer under warranty, however with this many problem having the same exact problem, I think there would be something someone can do??

- Bellmead, TX, USA

Jul 102009

Cobalt

2007 Chevy Cobalt-electric power steering failure while driving. Car must be turned off and then back on to reset the power steering. If temperature outside is over 80 degrees it will failure constantly until the next day (when the car has had a chance to cool off overnight) there is documentation all over the internet stating thousands of drivers are having the same problems and even crashing due to the power steering failure. Chevy needs to issue a recall on this part!

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 172009

Cobalt

Last year a bought a 2007 Chevy Cobalt for my daughter who had just turned 17. The car rode smoothly and I was impressed with the overall handling. This unfortunately only lasted for 9 months. My daughter was driving home from work at 1230am on Sunday night only to call me hysterical that the steering got hard all of a sudden. I told her to calm down and pull over and I would be there as quickly as I could. Well after explaining to an officer that stopped me for speeding, the officer and I both got to my daughter and sure enough, the power steering did fail on her. I proceeded to drive the car home carefully, and ever since then the steering has been an ongoing problem. I can't unload the car cause I owe $9000 on it. So now I'm researching to replace what I need to replace on this piece of junk. I do hear a click under the dash right when the steering gives out, so I'm replacing both the power steering control module and the assist motor. Here's hoping this solves the problem. To GM, I am never, ever buying another vehicle made by you again!! may you mercilessly go out of business once and for all. We could use another domestic car maker to replace your incompetence.

- Locust Grove, GA, USA

Jul 182009

Cobalt

Power steering indicator light came on while I was out and about running errands (at least 3 times). Fortunately, I was able to pull over, stop and start again. It would run fine for a short while and the light would come on again. I also experienced a great deal of trouble 7/17/09 with the key getting stuck in the ignition and it not turning. I have recently spent $1,600 plus to repair/replace the cylinder head gasket.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 062009

Cobalt

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt ls must have steering column replace.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jul 062009

Cobalt

Owner of 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt ls. I was told I needed to replace the steering column, this car is only two years olds, a $1400 job that shouldn't be.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jun 202009

Cobalt

2007 Cobalt lt with 40,000 miles on it--two weeks ago I was driving it when the warning light flashed power steering and 2 seconds later there was no power steering--fortunately I was in a parking lot so I pulled over turned it off and went inside to complete my business (including buying some power steering fluid-what a waste F money that was) when I started it up again it was fine and it drove just fine --very limited use though. The exact same thing happened 8 days later. So I took it to dealer for routing maintenance and to have it checked. They said the electric steering was bad and that I would have to replace the entire steering column for $800 (this did not include the $100 they charged to tell me this) per a bulletin put out by Chevrolet. I took the car and contacted Chevrolet about it. In the mean time my nineteen year old nice borrowed the car and it happened to her as she was driving on the highway at 70 miles per hour--luckily she was able to get to the side of the road without incident. I bought this car for my 76 year old mother and fortunately it has not happened to her because she would not be able to control it. So basically she has a car right now that she can not use.

- Robinson, IL, USA

Jun 252009

Cobalt

Power steering on my Chevy Cobalt went out in the middle of the highway, almost causing me to have a wreck. Hundreds of other people have reported this problem all over the internet. This needs to be addressed.

- Red Oak, TX, USA

Jun 132009

Cobalt

2007 Cobalt with power steering failure.

- Gibsonia, PA, USA

Jun 122009

Cobalt

I own a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt and the power steering system intermittently fails at no particular time leaving the car without power steering at any moment. This happened to my daughter today and fortunately she was able to pull over to have the car towed without incident. I researched this online and found a website within 5 minutes which has 387 exact complaints and they describe everything from no accident to being towed and unfortunately some collisions. I am paying to have it repaired as there is no recall for this defective motor. It is a new type of electric steering assist and not the traditional hydraulic assist type. This needs to be recalled before someone gets hurt.

- Laurel, MD, USA

May 152009

Cobalt

Power steering failure. Power steering goes out abruptly while driving in normal driving conditions. After turning car off and back on, power steering is restored but will abruptly go out again at random, sometimes it gives out 4 or 5 times within a single driving trip ranging from 4 to 10 miles. I am currently in the process of replacing the steering control module, and power assist motor hoping that fixes the problem.

- Laredo, TX, USA

May 062009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the steering has become loose several times while the vehicle was in motion. While driving 70 mph, the contact lost control of the steering and a power steering failure indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact was able to safely maneuver the vehicle to her destination. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they determined that the steering wheel column failed. The vehicle was repaired. The contact is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 9,801 and current mileage was 21,304.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA

Apr 192009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 15 mph, the contact noticed that the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel. He lost complete steering functionality. The vehicle then jerked to the left and the steering column became very stiff. The contact was able to safely maneuver the vehicle to his destination. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that the power steering motor failed. The vehicle was repaired at the cost of $1,000. The manufacturer stated that because the vehicle was not included in a recall, no compensation would be provided. The failure mileage was 20,000 and current mileage was 44,000.

- Hudson, FL, USA