CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 5 of 29)

Mar 132013

Cobalt 4-cyl

In my words and experience that happened on the day of 03/13/2013, appx 4:30 pm on my way home from work, like any other day over crowded traffic hour, stop and go, I started to experience loss of power in my vehicle. Twice it started loosing power then the vehicle veered towards oncoming traffic I steered to the right and vehicle would not steer back into normal position causing me to go over a dirt embankment and off a cliff, at that point I do not think the engine was running, I literally thought this was the end of my life, going through trees, hitting rocks. There was nothing I could do but to wait to die. Then the vehicle hit something real hard causing the vehicle to roll over and come to a stop. I just remember wanting to get out of the car as fast as I could. I had to crawl out of the passenger side to get out. I didn't see anyone I couldn't see the roadway I was so far down. I heard people yelling if I was ok. I then remembered I needed my purse and my phone to get help so I crawled back into the car I found my purse but no phone or keys until the vehicle was recovered by chp recovery. At the time I didn't feel I needed medical attention, but since the accident my back and my balance are not the same as they use to. I've also been having difficulties with my memory.

- Lk Elsinore, CA, USA

Jul 172008

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the power steering failed without any warnings. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road, where it was turned off for two hours and then restarted. The vehicle resumed its normal operations. The failure recurred on two separate occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 9,000.

- Palmyra, NY, USA

Jun 172014

Cobalt 4-cyl

While driving along, getting off of an exit ramp onto a main hwy, I reached over to turn my defroster off, when the wheel jerked to the left, I attempted to gain control but never got total control although I did get back onto the road. A few seconds later the car jerked again and this time I realized the steering wheel was not moving-it was locked up and I could not turn it. I then hit the guard rail on the North side of the hwy and then came across to the South side hitting the concrete bridge railing. The ignition switch recall had supposedly been corrected but the ignition locked up on this vehicle.

- Prentiss, MS, USA

Mar 222014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 35 mph, the loss of power warning indicator illuminated and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was previously repaired according to NHTSA campaign numbers: 14E021000 (electrical system: Ignition switch) and 10V073000 (steering), but the failures recurred. The contact also stated that the key would not turn in the ignition and the steering wheel was still difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the computer module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 127,000.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jan 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

In 2012, my 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt was recalled for a power steering. I took my vehicle to a dealership in Nebraska where they performed the work but stated that they did not know how to fix permanently. About a week later, my power steering went out again. I returned to the same dealership and ended up paying to have the repairs done again only to have the power steering go out again within a week or so. I tried talking to the dealership so I could get this issue fixed but they just said they didn't have a way to fix the problem and there was nothing I could do except pay to replace the entire steering column / rack and pinion. When the ignition recall came out, I took the vehicle to hendrick's Chevrolet in cary, nc. They provided a rental car and I waited for 3 months to have that repaired. I assumed they were going to go ahead and fix the power steering since it was involved in another recall and the recall was not ever handled correctly. However, GM stated that the recall had fixed the issue and that they could not do anything for me. I let them know that the car was unsafe and that between the current power steering recall and the one from 2012, there has to be a connection that this car's steering was defective and was not ever properly fixed. GM asked that I come pick my car up and is refusing to do any further repairs because they feel the car is too old and that I waited too long (I wasn't waiting on anything - I had been expecting GM to honor the recall at some point in time. I believe that GM has taken advantage of me because I am a young woman and do not know much about the automotive industry.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jan 062014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated while driving approximately 20 mph, the steering wheel became very hard to turn. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 122,000.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Mar 052012

Cobalt

As I turned the corner the steering wheel stuck and I was unable to turn back and I hit a parked car which caused $800 in damage to their car and $5400 in damage to my car and also caused my insurance to go up. When I had asked the people who fixed my car if they checked the power steering like I asked they said they did not.

- Erie, PA, USA

Jul 212014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000 (steering). The contact began experiencing steering failure in may of 2014, after the recall repair was performed. The dealer informed the contact that a diagnostic fee would be charged for having the recall repairs performed again. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Cumberland, MD, USA

Jun 202014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The power steering, in this 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt, started failing intermittently at low speeds, progressively getting worse while my daughter was driving, thoroughly frightening her. When I was at the dealer for the ignition switch recall I asked them about it and was told that since the power steering was replaced in the 2010 recall, (less than 4 years and about 46,000 miles ago) that there was nothing they could do because the recall was closed. As you know, a component this critical to the operation of a vehicle should not be failing at these frequent rates. This constitutes not only a major expense to repair a problem which shouldn't be occurring in the first place, but a major safety issue to the operator, passengers, and other motorists and pedestrians as well. This is a known problem with these vehicles and I suspect that the replacement parts used weren't any better than the originals, as evidenced by this failure and based on the number of complaints that I have since read about. A new recall has also been issued for the 2010 model year for this same issue, yet, this model year was included in the prior recall. It is my belief that General Motors should stand behind what is an obvious design flaw issue that has yet to be perfected. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

- Jaffrey, NH, USA

Jul 092014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Driving down the highway @ 55mph and the power steering cuts off, the power brakes cut off, the ABS light comes on, the turn signals start going on and off at random, the gauges jump up and down nonstop. I just picked up my car and was told it referenced tsb#08-07-30-021 (NHTSA#10025402). The check engine light is still on because of this problem. The shop referenced the following error codes from the check engine light: P0575 U7300 U0121 U0140 thank goodness no one was behind me or around me at the time because I was unable to properly steer the vehicle, brake, or accelerate. This is a major problem that should be addressed by GM.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Apr 122012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering failed. The contact mentioned that the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the repairs were unknown. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 12,882 and the current mileage was 42,800.

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Mar 062014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the key was extremely difficult to remove from the ignition on multiple occasions. The steering wheel was also extremely difficult to turn intermittently. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph she lost control then flipped and rolled into an embankment. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. The contact sustained minor injuries. The contact was included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 11,800.

- Spring City, TN, USA

Jun 072014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving, and this isn't the first time that this has occurred, and I will get a notification on my dash for the power steering, the car will remain powered. The gauges(speedometer fuel and RPM) will all go down to zero, and vehicle will be very hard to steer. I do have to stop my car, and let it sit for about 30 seconds to continue driving. This is a intermittent issue that I have noticed. It happens at any given time.

- Mesa , AZ, USA

Jun 132013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated while driving 25 mph, he heard a clicking noise after he turned the steering wheel in either direction. The contact stated that he took the vehicle to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Alpine, TX, USA

Feb 032013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was a clicking noise heard from the vehicle intermittently. Additionally, the contact had to apply force to turn the steering wheel on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 10V073000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

May 032014

Cobalt

Car was taken to the dealership due to a recall. Day after I pick it up from there I was not able to pull it from a parking lot (power steer light was on). I contacted GM and they asked me to call the dealer. Dealer promised me that they will call me back, they also said that my car had similar issue in May 2010, but GM only asked for specific part to be replaced at this time (last recall) and this is the work that they did. I called them a few times and no answer. On 5/3 contacted GM and I was told that a customer experience manager will take care of my car, so I should wait 24hrs for a phone call. I kept calling GM because no one called me back, left message on 5/9, 5/16 (no answer). A phone call was missing from them on 5/9, I called back with no answer... called them yesterday again and explained my concern driving a car that sometime is hard to handle and make turns and at the same time I smell gas inside while driving, I also said that I do not want to put my 11 years old in risk......, I was told that my case is now with a higher manager and they will contact me soon. Today, I called GM again and they had me waiting for 25 minutes to connect my call with the manager, nothing happened. I feel this car is not safety....

- Margate, FL, USA

Apr 102013

Cobalt

Driving West approx. 35 mph lady pulled in front of across 4 lanes traffic hit broadside on her passenger side. Little damage to her car. Over $6000. Damage to my car. No air bag deployed. Driver of my car hurt wrist and hit knees on dash. Ended up 8 months later having knee surgery because of tear in knee from wreck. Passenger hurt wrists.

- Lawrenceburg, IN, USA

May 092014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt ls. The contact stated that while attempting to turn, the steering wheel it became stiff and hard to control. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but they did not perform a diagnostic test. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 91,000. The current mileage was 91,373.

- North Royalton, OH, USA

Dec 052008

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the driver was traveling at an unknown speed when she crashed into a wire hanging from a light pole. The impact caused the driver to lose control of the vehicle, which rolled over from the force. The driver wa S not wearing a seat belt and was fatally injured. A police report was filed of the incident. The manufacturer was not made aware of the incident. The vehicle was destroyed. The failure and current mileage was unknown.

- Lakewood, NJ, USA

Apr 222014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The Chevy Cobalt recall does not fix the kill switch problem. I just got this car back today. I attached a small wallet that holds only my license and bank card in it and the air bag light still goes on and off. Hence this is exactly what it did before it was replaced. I didn't have this problem with the same wallet attached in my Chevy rental car. This car is not corrected. It is still a death trap. If you only leave the key in the ignition the air bag light stays off exactly what they said to do before it was changed.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA